TTA T-shirt Encounters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2010, 09:19 PM

TTA T-shirt Encounters
Has anyone had any interesting encounters triggered by their TTA shirts?

I'm a teacher in Oklahoma, and I attended an AP workshop in Tulsa this week. One of my fellow teachers witnessed about the power of God in her life every day while the rest of us were trying to learn about the AP program. One day during the workshop, I showed up wearing my TTA shirt. All she saw at first was the front, which she gushed about. She thought it was an excellent design for a teacher. We're supposed to inspire creative thinking.
Later, while we were on break, she started telling stories about how God was always protecting her family. With each story about how she and her family came out of accidents unharmed, I asked her about safety equipment like seat belts and helmets. Yes, safety equipment was in use, but she still insisted God protected her family. I dropped the conversation.

She was in line behind me at lunch later that day, and she finally saw the back of my TTA shirt. "I Believe," she read outloud. "How sweet." Then she read the rest of the shirt. Out loud. Slowly. I turned and smiled at her when she was done. She looked at me like I had a haunch of roast baby on my plate. She didn't speak to me for the rest of the workshop. A win for everyone.

Three closeted atheists approached me at the bar that night and we spent the evening discussing the plight of atheist teachers in Oklahoma. It was a good time.
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2010, 07:12 AM
RE: TTA T-shirt Encounters
Can't say I've had any such encounters, as I don't have any atheist-themed gear, but that's a pretty neat story. Thanks for sharing.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2010, 07:48 AM

I don't like my clothing to be provocative. I choose to make a statement or an impression with my speech or my actions. No need to stir up a situation that immediately. But I must say, that must have been horrifying for her.
23-07-2010, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2010 05:47 AM by Kikko.)
even though the TTA shirt looks really cool, i wouldnt like wearing anything that would show my thoughts on religion, not like i wouldnt want to show that im a non-believer (christians have their crosses and jesus shirts), but because i wouldnt like the pressure that some people might not be very friendly when encountering a person with an atheistic shirt or it might cause people to give attention that i dont want.

edit: i better stop writing after 23.59, i think i forgot im not living in an english using country Smile, and if someone really minds reading the text from the back in a grocery store line and doesnt like it, i would be happy to have a converstasion.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2010, 05:35 AM

Well as yet I don't have a TTA shirt but as soon as I have to money to afford it I will buy one and have no problems wearing it. I am 100% against censorship so if all these Christians can go around with their God and Jesus t's on then I have every right to express my opinion too.

As it goes when I am in public I am a very keen observer of everything going on around me, I always have been. That said if I see that someone like a server or an employee or clerk treating me differently in a negative way because I'm wearing the TTA shirt then you better bet I'll call them out on it. Honestly though I don't foresee any problems wearing it which I guess would be a little disappointing. ; )