TTA Tech Support

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
10-12-2014, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 09:35 AM by Free.)
TTA Tech Support
Over the past while many members have expressed concerns with their computers getting infected with malware.

I posted my professional solutions in another thread and they seem to enjoy those solutions. Therefore, I will post those solutions here with the hopes that some mod or admin might consider pinning this, and occasionally I can edit it with new information.

Professional Method for Removing Malware:

Note: You may optionally want to print this.

Here's my system for repairing infected computers. Normally, after these files have been run, there are no bugs at all on the computer. Sometimes however, advanced teching is required, but the list below should eliminate any bugs you have.

Step 1: Remove any Antivirus product you have installed as they impede the ability of the tools listed below to perform. Then reboot, come back here.
Step 2: Right click your Desktop screen, choose "New," and select "New Folder.
Step 3: Go to the following links and download the following files to the New Folder on your Desktop, After you download then all, run in the order you see on this list below:

The first 6 programs listed below can all be downloaded and run to completion within 30 minutes total time. Remember to download ALL (8 of them, including the last 2 of Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials) the programs FIRST, before you begin any scans

Rkill: Download the link that disguises it as iExplorer (Internet Explorer) This file will shut down any malicious software running on your system. The reason this file is disguised as Internet Explorer is to fool malware into thinking it is actually Internet Explorer. Some malware will prevent anti-malware programs from running just because they know the actual name of the anti-malware program.

AdwCleaner: Removes Adware and numerous Junk files. It will want to reboot the computer to finish removing any adware.

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) Same as above with other detection databases

Combofix (Will not work on Windows 8.1): Can find numerous bad files and folders and also gets the Zero Access Rootkit virus.

TDSSkiller: Looks for Rootkit viruses

CCleaner: Removes internet junk from system cache. This is important because it can remove gigabytes and gigabytes of junk files including bugs, which significantly reduces the amount of time Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials (listed below) take to scan the computer. The less junk files you have on your computer, the faster the scans from Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials will be.

That completes the first 6 programs. The next two can take considerably longer to run a scan, and you can either run them 1 at a time, or both at the same time.

For the two programs listed below, download, and install both before you run any scans. You want the antivirus installed and updated first before you run Malwarebytes because if Malwarebytes scans a file that is a virus known to Microsoft Security Essentials, then Microsoft Security Essentials will detect it and remove it while Malwarebytes is still scanning.

Malwarebytes: Best free antimalware program available. After it is installed and has updated its database, you have 3 choices for the type of scan to perform. Click the scan button near the top, then select "Custom Scan," then click "Scan now." The screen will change, and then on the left side check the box for "Scan for Rootkits," and near the top click your "C" drive (assuming C is where Windows is installed.) Then click Scan. This can can take as long as 3 or 4 hours, but you can still use the computer while it is scanning.

This last scan is optional, but advisable.

Microsoft Security Essentials: All antivirus programs suck, but this one simply sucks less. Install it, update it, then optionally run a full scan after Malwarebytes has finished its scan, or alternatively you can run a full scan at the same time Malwarebytes is scanning.

That's it, and this system is part of what I use as a pro.

Good luck.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Free's post
10-12-2014, 08:45 AM
RE: TTA Tech Support
Good stuff. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-12-2014, 11:09 AM
This guide help remove a browser hijacking Thumbsup

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
10-12-2014, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 12:43 PM by Filox.)
You can always keep my old thread alive...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...y-by-Filox

Smile

P.S.

Microsoft Security Essentials? Yeah, no. Don't tell people to install that, it will find nothing. Malwarebytes is the only thing you need if you suspect any problems, CCleaner is for everyday use and Combobox is ok for additional tweaks. If you keep your computer healthy, you probably do not need all those other programs, or just install them, run a scan and then remove them, because, having too many programs installed for no reason is not a good thing.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
10-12-2014, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 01:02 PM by Free.)
(10-12-2014 12:39 PM)Filox Wrote:  You can always keep my old thread alive...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...y-by-Filox

Smile

P.S.

Microsoft Security Essentials? Yeah, no. Don't tell people to install that, it will find nothing. Malwarebytes is the only thing you need if you suspect any problems, CCleaner is for everyday use and Combobox is ok for additional tweaks. If you keep your computer healthy, you probably do not need all those other programs, or just install them, run a scan and then remove them, because, having too many programs installed for no reason is not a good thing.

The free version of Malwarebytes does not have real-time protection, and regarding Microsoft Security Essentials, it's all about technique as opposed to quality.

The technique is to scan the computer with Malwarebytes while Microsoft Security Essentials' real-time protection is active. What this does is combine the detection databases of both programs so that if Malwarebytes scans a file it does not recognize as a threat, the real-time protection of Security Essentials will pick that file off if it's considered a threat according to MSE's detection data-base.

And yes, it finds things. Lots of things.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
10-12-2014, 04:39 PM
RE my old query which you helped me with......
Still finding a major forum blocked re threat.
6 days left with Avast free.
Queried justification for warning/ blockage--no response.

Can a threat remain kinda dormant...waiting to activate for a long time?
Thanks!
10-12-2014, 05:03 PM
(10-12-2014 04:39 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  RE my old query which you helped me with......
Still finding a major forum blocked re threat.
6 days left with Avast free.
Queried justification for warning/ blockage--no response.

Can a threat remain kinda dormant...waiting to activate for a long time?
Thanks!

I suspect that Avast! itself is detecting something on the forum- such as an advertisement that leads to a known malware site, or the forum itself has been known to distribute malware.

It likely does not have anything to do with your computer, but rather the website. There is nothing dormant on your PC. If the situation involved your PC, then Avast! would display this message without you ever attempting to go to that forum.

Perhaps you could link me to this forum and I will go snooping around?

15-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Hate to bug you with this question, but how do I set up my profile (avatar / photo, contact info, etc)? Glad to be a part of this group. Thanks!
15-12-2014, 06:16 PM
I got something on my phone a few days ago that was reffered to as ransomware.
It says it a gov.agency and it locks the whole phone down.
It gives you instructions on how to send $300 via prepaid cards.
I called my phone company and the only way to get rid of it was a hard reset to factory specs.
Bastards.
15-12-2014, 07:38 PM
(15-12-2014 04:28 PM)Ron Michaels Wrote:  Hate to bug you with this question, but how do I set up my profile (avatar / photo, contact info, etc)? Glad to be a part of this group. Thanks!

Click the "User CP" near the top left