TTA: Vision for the Future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: TTA: Vision for the Future
(31-12-2014 12:56 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  If we can't be dicks can we be arseholes instead?

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-12-2014, 01:00 AM
(31-12-2014 12:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 12:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Which one? I've tended to be in Stark's good graces ever since I made him that Robot Chicken / Star Wars animated signature. Tongue

Then I guess you still have some brownie points in the bank.

Thumbsup

[Image: Woo_hoo!_poster.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-12-2014, 02:04 AM
(30-12-2014 11:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  We used the following model which is a recognised tool for focusing on short, medium and long term objectives. The idea is that the planning for all trajectories should start now i.e. sorta parallel rather than in series.
Hard to understand the diagram. I guess the y axis = focus and x axis = time?
You expect some sort of "disruption" as the focus shifts from one horizon to another?

Personally I think it would benefit to profile the use base (membership):
- New Atheists struggling to reconcile the word as they are currently in the process of breaking out of the years of brainwashing endured.
- Atheists trapped in a theistic world looking for some sanity time away from the constant barrage of theistic crap they wallow through in their daily lives.
- Atheists looking for like minded friends
- Atheists looking to get into arguments or give crap out to theists
- Atheists looking to develop strong debating techniques or explore arguments against theism
- Atheists trying to understand the arguments for and against theism
- Atheists trying to understand the science of evolution and/or cosmology
- Atheistic philosophers delving into morality, free will, theistic apologetics, epistemology...
- Atheists looking to further explore the Christian mythology, historical texts etc
- Theists curious about atheists
- Theists on a mission to convert atheists
- Theists disillusioned with past experiences on Christian forums
- Trolls
- Nut jobs

Probably more.
But if you look to fulfill the needs of all but the last two then you are probably going to cater for a lot of valued members.

(30-12-2014 11:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  TTA as a community for Atheists.
Personally I don't like how this sounds "exclusive"
I'd prefer a community that is atheist friendly. There are many theists that are friendly to atheists and those can participate in a theistic way without being too distracting.

(30-12-2014 11:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Here the focus is less on maintaining the status quo and more on changing hearts and minds... being more 'out there', more 'activist'.

To this end, we cannot be solely an exclusive community and we must continue to be open to challenges to our faith Dodgy Because y'know, what if we're wrong?

The sciencey people, the re-evaluators of history, the philosophers need to be able to conduct their debates and discussions safe in the knowledge that they have freedom of expression... as close as is possible to total freedom without violating the principles already detailed above.
I'm not sure about the "changing hearts and minds". I'd like to see more open discussion, discussion of common ideas and also exploration of uncommon ideas. I think for the most part we tend to get into either argument mode or derision of original thinking.

(30-12-2014 11:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Here, much more long term, the focus of attention is on what we need to do now to prepare for a world where atheism is not just respected but actually dominant. As Seth put it, "when the the term 'atheist' will no longer be relevant".
I see much value in having a diverse bunch on these forums. We get a lot of Western cultural people, but I'd like to see more from the rest of the world. I was very disappointed when Chippy was able to get away with attacking a member for merely being an Indian.

Anyway, just my 2cents. Will be keen to see how you work towards this future you have planned.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
31-12-2014, 02:38 AM
I can't help thinking that "humility" should figure in the policies.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
31-12-2014, 03:32 AM
(31-12-2014 02:38 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I can't help thinking that "humility" should figure in the policies.

Humility? But that's so... so... passé.

[Image: 79a.gif]

Plus, wasn't that Jesus fellow going on and on about it? Can't have that now, can we?

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-12-2014, 03:44 AM

Didn't know you was a prophet DLJ. Whatcha see in my future?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-12-2014, 03:50 AM
(31-12-2014 03:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
Plus, wasn't that Jesus fellow going on and on about it? Can't have that now, can we?

Ah, yes!

1 Corinthians 15:24
Quote:Then cometh the end, when he [Jesus] shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have [humbly] put down all rule and all authority and power.

Matthew 13:41-42
Quote:The Son of man shall [humbly] send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
And shall [humbly] cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

etc. etc.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-12-2014, 04:14 AM
(31-12-2014 03:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 03:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...

Ah, yes!

1 Corinthians 15:24
Quote:Then cometh the end, when he [Jesus] shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have [humbly] put down all rule and all authority and power.

Matthew 13:41-42
Quote:The Son of man shall [humbly] send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
And shall [humbly] cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

etc. etc.

Dodgy

What? There's like two dozen versions of the 'historical Jesus'. Apocalyptic prophet, wandering Rabbi, schizophrenic, Roman collaborator, etc. I'm sure at least one of them was humble...

31-12-2014, 04:15 AM
(31-12-2014 03:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...

Lots of disappointment? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-12-2014, 04:44 AM
(31-12-2014 04:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 03:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...

Lots of disappointment? Consider

Weeping I'm already disappointed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post