Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2014, 04:45 AM
RE: TTA: Vision for the Future
(31-12-2014 04:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 04:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Lots of disappointment? Consider

Weeping I'm already disappointed.

BAM! Self-fulfilling prophecy!

Now if only I can figure out a way to get you to give me 10% of your net income for life, I'd be set.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2014, 04:49 AM
(31-12-2014 04:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 04:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  Weeping I'm already disappointed.

BAM! Self-fulfilling prophecy!

Now if only I can figure out a way to get you to give me 10% of your net income for life, I'd be set.

If you come work for me at a tenth of my salary that'd be perfect Yes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-12-2014, 04:50 AM
(31-12-2014 03:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 02:38 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I can't help thinking that "humility" should figure in the policies.

Humility? But that's so... so... passé.

[Image: 79a.gif]

Plus, wasn't that Jesus fellow going on and on about it? Can't have that now, can we?

LOL

But as for this Jesus fellow of whom you speak, what gives him the right to monopolise something just because he talks about it. Do I get to monopolise, say, "nipples" if I can prove I've blathered on about them?

Nope, that's the thin end of the wedge. We do not cede ethics just because some guy in sandals alleges he got there first (a dubious claim in any case). Just because some beardy do-gooder says he's "the way and the light", we should not relinquish our right to determine our own purpose and ethics.

Hippies talking on hilsides blathering on about meak people being cool is no basis for rationale philosophical or ethical enquiry.

If I went around saying that I'm the son of god, just because I heard voices in my head telling me so, they'd put me away!

Ahh....I feel better now....

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 3 users Like gofish!'s post
31-12-2014, 05:01 AM
(31-12-2014 04:50 AM)gofish! Wrote:  If I went around saying that I'm the son of god, just because I heard voices in my head telling me so, they'd put me away!

Or you could adopt a stupid pseudonym and go around bothering atheist forums. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-12-2014, 05:05 AM
(31-12-2014 04:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 04:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  BAM! Self-fulfilling prophecy!

If you come work for me at a tenth of my salary that'd be perfect Yes

[Image: awesome-face-gif.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-12-2014, 05:30 AM
(31-12-2014 04:50 AM)gofish! Wrote:  ...
"nipples"
the thin end of the wedge.

That's one way of putting it. Consider

(31-12-2014 05:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 04:50 AM)gofish! Wrote:  If I went around saying that I'm the son of god, just because I heard voices in my head telling me so, they'd put me away!

Or you could adopt a stupid pseudonym and go around bothering atheist forums. Dodgy

Or he could start a religion and get a tithing program going ... there's the 10% you're looking for.

Idea

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
31-12-2014, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2014 06:44 AM by Anjele.)
(30-12-2014 11:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's New Year's Eve here so I thought it a good moment to shed some light on some back-office machinations.

A month or so back, Stark asked me to take another look at the Forum Information pages. He hates them and thinks that the people that wrote them are semi-literate morons (at least, that's how I read it... he probably just said they could do with some tweaking).

We discussed this a little and I mentioned that policies need to be based on principles and those principles probably ought to be aligned to the overall vision / direction of the TTA community as a whole, so any chance of getting Seth to outline his overall vision?

A three-way Skype session was set up.

It didn't start well as Seth had just come of the tennis court and was flustered and out of breath; I had had little sleep after a 23 hour trip from Wellington to Cyberjaya in Malaysia (via Sydney, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur) and Stark was obviously totally sky-high on 'product'.

However, in the subsequent hour, we discussed some goals and plans.

We used the following model which is a recognised tool for focusing on short, medium and long term objectives. The idea is that the planning for all trajectories should start now i.e. sorta parallel rather than in series.

[Image: three-horizon-blog-41.png]

Here are some of concepts that were discussed and [in spoilers], the new policy statements that will, next year, replace the old Forum Information pages.

These roughly align to the last three words of all the podcasts: Thinking Atheist Worldwide

1st Horizon (the red line): Atheist

TTA as a community for Atheists.
Here the goals must be focused on ensuring that we don't lose sight of what we're good at, namely, being a welcoming but protective community for people who need a safe place to shelter from theistic storms.
A sanctuary.
A place to be ourselves, chew the cud and laugh at the world.
Technically, we can consider more protected zones like the Personal Issues and Support section or the 'purgatory' idea for quarantining pestilential trolls.

Here is the new (1st Horizon) policy to cover these ambitions:
Don't be a dick!

2nd Horizon (the blue line): Thinking

Here the focus is less on maintaining the status quo and more on changing hearts and minds... being more 'out there', more 'activist'.

To this end, we cannot be solely an exclusive community and we must continue to be open to challenges to our faith Dodgy Because y'know, what if we're wrong?

The sciencey people, the re-evaluators of history, the philosophers need to be able to conduct their debates and discussions safe in the knowledge that they have freedom of expression... as close as is possible to total freedom without violating the principles already detailed above.

So it's... One Person, One Voice. Hence no sock-puppeting and all that.

Also considered were:
  • Co-ordinated approaches for YouTube comments, Facebook, Twitter etc.
  • Arranging tours of e.g. Vietnam or China so that the underprivileged Murikans can see what official atheism looks like.
  • Jumble / Yard Sales
The New (2nd Horizon) Policy:
Really. Don't be a dick!

3rd Horizon (the green line): Worldwide

Here, much more long term, the focus of attention is on what we need to do now to prepare for a world where atheism is not just respected but actually dominant. As Seth put it, "when the the term 'atheist' will no longer be relevant".

President Seth has a nice ring to it, we felt. We considered Matt Dillahunty for President but most Murikans, we thought, would find him off-puttingly intellectual whereas Seth has the touchy-feely thing going for him.

There would obviously still be some small pockets of theism around the world and although sterilisation was a given, there was some disagreement regarding full-scale purges.

Dunno. What do you think?

Here's the New (3rd Horizon) Policy:
Seriously! Stop being a dick!

Thanks for reading.

If anyone has any objections or positive comments regarding the New Policies, you can simply go suck my...

[Image: kk2.jpg]

So, basically - Stark's number one rule, which has worked in the past and works now, is presumed to still be effective in the future? Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
31-12-2014, 06:40 AM
(31-12-2014 05:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 04:50 AM)gofish! Wrote:  ...
"nipples"
the thin end of the wedge.

That's one way of putting it. Consider

[Image: I_see_what_you_did_there.jpg]

(31-12-2014 05:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 05:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Or you could adopt a stupid pseudonym and go around bothering atheist forums. Dodgy

Or he could start a religion and get a tithing program going ... there's the 10% you're looking for.

Idea

Yeah, but is there a way to do it without lying? Because, you see, I have a conscience and... well... you know... I'm just too damn smart to plead ignorance on this one.

31-12-2014, 07:02 AM
The focus of Seth's work appears to be that rational thinking is the needed alternative to religion. The site name summarizes his brand well, theTHINKINGatheist.com.

A complementary mission of the forum appears to be to provide a safe haven clubhouse for atheists.

The "thinking" mission and the "clubhouse" mission should be very clearly separated on the forum, because as it stands the clubhouse mission is totally destroying the thinking mission.

This can be accomplished by creating a clearly labeled clubhouse section down near the bottom where just about anything goes, and applying much tighter content controls to the main sections of the forum so that atheist THINKING will be the primary focus.

If tighter content controls are not applied somewhere, then the evidence is overwhelming that the entire forum will be a just a goof off clubhouse which undermines Seth's fundamental goal of offering rational thought as an alternative to religion.

Sadly, the evidence so far strongly suggests that nobody here including Seth gets any of this, and the most likely outcome will be that the forum continues to be a shining example of atheist ego and not atheist thinking. That's not an insult. That's what the evidence really does reveal.

If Seth and the mod team wish to credibly make the point that quality rational thought is the needed alternative to religion, one way or another a LOT more rational thought needs to appear on these pages.

If members of this forum won't trade memorized ideological dogmas for careful rational thought, why should theists do it? If you want to sell reason, you have to actually show it in action yourself.
31-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Go fuck yourself Bozo Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post