TTA: Vision for the Future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2014, 04:55 PM
RE: TTA: Vision for the Future
(31-12-2014 04:53 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 03:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  There it is again, the hippie bashing. I hope you are just too young to know what you are talking about.

This forum, most forums, in a nutshell.

(31-12-2014 03:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hippies broke the mold so you could be openly gay, choose what to believe in if anything, escape the fate of being pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen and smoke a nice joint if you want.

We of the Geezer Hippy Nation appreciate your support!

Not everything the hippies did was cool, and we betrayed many of our youthful values in the end, but like every generation we made a good faith effort to make a contribution and hope to continuing to do so a bit longer.

They say if you can remember the sixties you weren't really there, but fuck, I can barely remember any of the damn decades now! :-)

So................. vosur, about this ban hammer swinging, do you think it will happen right now if that was the major rule?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2014, 05:05 PM
(31-12-2014 10:37 AM)gofish! Wrote:  We need "humility" as a guiding principle. Say what ever you want, so long as you don't take yourself so seriously, you drown yourself and everyone else in your own pomposity.

Ok, so you've got a start on converting emotional content in to valuable intellectual content.

Instead of all the ego outbursts, somebody could start one or more threads asking interesting questions such as....

Why do we let strangers on the Internet take control of our emotions?

Why do we deliberately read posters we already know we don't enjoy?

Which is more rational? Trying to control every dickhead we come across in life, or learning to control our own experience of dickheads? Which is easier, managing a thousand brains we have no control over, or managing the one brain between our ears?

If members here put their minds to it, they could come up with a hundred more such questions on this topic, and turn them in to vast oceans of intelligent conversations that would demonstrate, instead of just assert, the value of atheist thinking.

It's in your interest to do so. The forum would become far more interesting, and the mission of offering an alternative to theism would be advanced.

If members choose to largely ignore that mission, it displays for all the world to see that you don't really believe in it.

Here's an experiment you could perhaps try.

Declare Quip Free Month.

This would leave you with nothing to do here for the next 30 days but think and write intelligently. Try it, you might like it!
31-12-2014, 05:12 PM
(31-12-2014 04:53 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Not everything the hippies did was cool, and we betrayed many of our youthful values in the end, ...

What you mean we, kemosabe?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-12-2014, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2014 05:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-12-2014 05:05 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  If members here put their minds to it, they could come up with a hundred more such questions on this topic, and turn them in to vast oceans of intelligent conversations that would demonstrate, instead of just assert, the value of atheist thinking.

It's in your interest to do so. The forum would become far more interesting, and the mission of offering an alternative to theism would be advanced.

If members choose to largely ignore that mission, it displays for all the world to see that you don't really believe in it.

Good. 'Cause that sure as shit ain't my mission.

(31-12-2014 05:05 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Declare Quip Free Month.

Not gonna happen. If what you got to say can't weather a few glib salvos then what you got to say ain't worth hearing.

You remind me of an old friend of mine here back in the day when this forum was just getting its sealegs named Zatamon. He also could not tolerate how glib and avant garde and disrespectful and vulgar in all matters we are. "Please this is serious." ... ummm, no it's not. Yeah, Zatamon Piggied himself a couple of times here. Dude was looking for a library and book club and instead he walked into a metaphysical rave. Gave us a few tries at least so kudos for that.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-12-2014, 05:43 PM
(31-12-2014 05:05 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  It's in your interest to do so. ...

Note to self: Whenever some random Baba Bozo says it's in my best interests it's probably not. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-12-2014, 06:16 PM
(31-12-2014 03:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 04:50 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Hippies talking on hilsides blathering on about meak people being cool is no basis for rationale philosophical or ethical enquiry.

There it is again, the hippie bashing. I hope you are just too young to know what you are talking about.

Hippies broke the mold so you could be openly gay, choose what to believe in if anything, escape the fate of being pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen and smoke a nice joint if you want.

Society hasn't even caught up to them yet and you are bashing them. Bangin

The allusion was to one specific blathering hilltop hippy, methinks.

Laugh out load

31-12-2014, 08:36 PM

If we did, what would a concern troll like you have left to complain about? Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
31-12-2014, 08:42 PM
(31-12-2014 08:36 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

If we did, what would a concern troll like you have left to complain about? Drinking Beverage

Well, Blah Blah could simply bore us all to death with all his fancy thinking and such. That'd be festive.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
31-12-2014, 11:18 PM
(31-12-2014 05:05 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 10:37 AM)gofish! Wrote:  We need "humility" as a guiding principle. Say what ever you want, so long as you don't take yourself so seriously, you drown yourself and everyone else in your own pomposity.

Ok, so you've got a start on converting emotional content in to valuable intellectual content.

Instead of all the ego outbursts, somebody could start one or more threads asking interesting questions such as....

Why do we let strangers on the Internet take control of our emotions?

Why do we deliberately read posters we already know we don't enjoy?

Which is more rational? Trying to control every dickhead we come across in life, or learning to control our own experience of dickheads? Which is easier, managing a thousand brains we have no control over, or managing the one brain between our ears?

If members here put their minds to it, they could come up with a hundred more such questions on this topic, and turn them in to vast oceans of intelligent conversations that would demonstrate, instead of just assert, the value of atheist thinking.

Here's an experiment you could perhaps try.

Declare Quip Free Month.

This would leave you with nothing to do here for the next 30 days but think and write intelligently. Try it, you might like it!

Er....firstly, I wasn't talking to you

Secondly, it is probably not a good idea for you to quote me in any form of support for your assertions because I can pretty much guarantee you'll come unstuck.

Like now, because I was pointing you out as an example of someone drowning in his own pomposity.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
31-12-2014, 11:20 PM
(31-12-2014 06:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 03:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  There it is again, the hippie bashing. I hope you are just too young to know what you are talking about.

Hippies broke the mold so you could be openly gay, choose what to believe in if anything, escape the fate of being pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen and smoke a nice joint if you want.

Society hasn't even caught up to them yet and you are bashing them. Bangin

The allusion was to one specific blathering hilltop hippy, methinks.

Laugh out load

Yep...what DLJ said. If I want to bash hippies, I'll start a new thread. Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.