TTA Zombie Survival Skills

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: TTA Zombie Survival Skills
I am a locksmith by hobby. I can open the majority of locks, padlocks and cars with a few tools I'm always carrying. In such an apocalypse, I could pack my "heavy" tools for more sofisticated locks, safes and cars. Maybe in a world where you can shoot yourself through a door, this skill isn't useful, but you can't shoot start a car, or open a decent safe with any shotguns or rifles you might be carrying. Not to mention those critical moments when you must open a lock silently to avoid them walkers.

I have some 8 years of experience in martial arts, both standing and ground fighting. I have been postponing a SOTAI Knife training for a few years now... So no experience fighting with blades, but again, how dificult can it be to swing an axe at a zombie?

I haven't shot that many guns in my life, but only because of local legislation. The few times I had the chance to do it I really enjoyed it and wish I could learn and practice more.

I have a +25 resistance to cold. I was born in a hot area of the planet and although I can handle it, I don't love it. When most people feel cold, I'm still waiting for it to get a bit chilly so I can put my shirt on.

I tolerate more pain than the average man, less than the average woman.

I can walk barefoot where people need tenis. I mean, in the average scenarios, I prefer to stay barefeet than put on shoes. I can't walk on glass or red hot coal.

Please let me join your group?

You don't know anyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like naffonso's post
23-10-2014, 02:22 PM
(23-10-2014 02:18 PM)naffonso Wrote:  I am a locksmith by hobby. I can open the majority of locks, padlocks and cars with a few tools I'm always carrying. In such an apocalypse, I could pack my "heavy" tools for more sofisticated locks, safes and cars. Maybe in a world where you can shoot yourself through a door, this skill isn't useful, but you can't shoot start a car, or open a decent safe with any shotguns or rifles you might be carrying. Not to mention those critical moments when you must open a lock silently to avoid them walkers.

I have some 8 years of experience in martial arts, both standing and ground fighting. I have been postponing a SOTAI Knife training for a few years now... So no experience fighting with blades, but again, how dificult can it be to swing an axe at a zombie?

I haven't shot that many guns in my life, but only because of local legislation. The few times I had the chance to do it I really enjoyed it and wish I could learn and practice more.

I have a +25 resistance to cold. I was born in a hot area of the planet and although I can handle it, I don't love it. When most people feel cold, I'm still waiting for it to get a bit chilly so I can put my shirt on.

I tolerate more pain than the average man, less than the average woman.

I can walk barefoot where people need tenis. I mean, in the average scenarios, I prefer to stay barefeet than put on shoes. I can't walk on glass or red hot coal.

Please let me join your group?

You have my vote. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Curriculum vitae for consideration in joining TTA Survival Group:

(Since the planet is 2/3 water my skills might come in useful especially since Zombies can't swim)

Deadly with a speargun
Proficient in cleaning and preparing fish
Can breathhold for four minutes
Can skipper a sailboat or motorboat in rough seas
Excellent at dealing with currents and tides
Proficient in tying all kinds of knots

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
23-10-2014, 03:43 PM
(23-10-2014 03:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Curriculum vitae for consideration in joining TTA Survival Group:

(Since the planet is 2/3 water my skills might come in useful especially since Zombies can't swim)

Deadly with a speargun
Proficient in cleaning and preparing fish
Can breathhold for four minutes
Can skipper a sailboat or motorboat in rough seas
Excellent at dealing with currents and tides
Proficient in tying all kinds of knots

So you want to re-enact Waterworld. No thanks, I'd rather stay on shore with zombies rather than on a boat with Kevin Costner.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
23-10-2014, 04:03 PM
(17-10-2014 09:48 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I guess this thread is just about the walking dead type zombies. So yeah, melee is the way to go. Your gonna run out of bullets eventually and if you don't have some one in your group who can actually manufacture them your'e screwed. Maybe save the bullets for other survivors who threaten you, also in extreme cases with zombies. okay forget it..listen I just want to hear designs for melee weapons. Come on, anyone got any cool ideas?

I dunno; there are millions of rounds stockpiled around the country. Far, far more rounds than people, and not all of those people are going to end up zombified.

(though, wait a minute - since we're all scattered all around the planet...)

I suppose what you'd want is your classic "blade on a stick" type weapons, to disable from out of immediate range - a sword'd be dodgy enough, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to close to knife or melee range. Luckily for me I've trained with polearms before.

Though you'd probably also want some sort of area sterilisation tool, depending on things... I'm talking flamethrower or chemthrower. It's one thing to cut up a zombie from a few metres away, but what are you going to do with the bits left behind?

... this is my signature!
23-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Plus, you'll clearly need someone like me around to rebuild society. Electrical generators, transformers, regulators, the works. Or radio and fibre communications. Or, why not, population statistics for the zombies - can't tell me that wouldn't come in handy!

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
23-10-2014, 04:11 PM
When the zombies have us surrounded, I can write a Cease and Desist letter that will stop them in their tracks.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
23-10-2014, 04:22 PM
(23-10-2014 04:11 PM)BnW Wrote:  When the zombies have us surrounded, I can write a Cease and Desist letter that will stop them in their tracks.

We're going to need a judge to issue restraining orders, too. Wink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2014, 04:26 PM
(23-10-2014 04:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 04:11 PM)BnW Wrote:  When the zombies have us surrounded, I can write a Cease and Desist letter that will stop them in their tracks.

We're going to need a judge to issue restraining orders, too. Wink
I think we'll need zombie interpreters too. "Glecck blargh ra ra arahgg" who's gonna translate that mess?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
23-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Engineer here! I could help rebuild society! Experience with aeronautics, spacecraft, logistics, mechanical systems, communication systems, structures... anything and everything on a plane. Huge science buff as well. :-)

Until then, I'm no Tyrese or Carol but I think I could hold my own against zombies. I'm very well-read on zombie literature (big Max Brooks fan, and would definitely take his advice and carry a machete). He makes a point in World War Z that zombies would freeze in the cold and no longer be mobile, so my ideal location to hole up and survive would be northern and on the water where I could fish and hopefully have a source of water.

I'm experienced with every kind of gun but would probably avoid them for noise reasons.

I can garden and grow food, and recently started researching aquaponics (grows both fish and vegetables if you do it right).

Also pretty handy with mechanical stuff, know my way around a car, fixing it, keeping it running, and a helluva driver.

Not remotely squeemish about blood so I'd be handy for medical help and also wouldn't lose my cool with all those gross zombies.

I have a massive stockpile of alcohol that should last me a few years, and after that I'd be happy to resort to "brewing" cider. The natural levels in apples mean that unpasteurized apple juice will naturally ferment when left at room temperature. Northern CA has tons of apple trees, I'd probably migrate that direction.

Also, the hotness. ;-) I'll give those depressed boys a reason to carry on the torch of humanity.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 6 users Like MustangManda's post