TTA Zombie Survival Skills

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: TTA Zombie Survival Skills
(24-10-2014 11:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I've always loved the idea of owning a genuine sword.

I've been on the look out for a decent machete for a while now, to add to my survival stock pile. There are so many designs to go for I wasn't really sure which one would be best as it also comes down to which environment it would be used in. I'd also want a really good one that I could rely upon rather than something that looked good.

In a zombie apocalypse I would probably bring two machetes with me because I used to practise the martial art of Kali and really enjoyed fighting with two sticks.

Well, a "good" machete are the ones I get from the hardware store for about $7. They are light, durable, and they stay sharp. They are simply a blade and a wooden handle, but they are some of the best machetes I've ever owned. They can clear through some major brush.

As far as zombies go, an aluminum t-ball is the best melee weapon. Blades can break and need to be sharpened. They can also become lodged in bone and, depending on the length, can become a problem in close quarters.

An aluminum t-ball is the perfect blend of speed, strength, versatility, weight, and killing power; moreover, there is no maintenance on the weapon.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 11:57 AM
(24-10-2014 11:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I've always loved the idea of owning a genuine sword.

I've been on the look out for a decent machete for a while now, to add to my survival stock pile. There are so many designs to go for I wasn't really sure which one would be best as it also comes down to which environment it would be used in. I'd also want a really good one that I could rely upon rather than something that looked good.

In a zombie apocalypse I would probably bring two machetes with me because I used to practise the martial art of Kali and really enjoyed fighting with two sticks.

Well, a "good" machete are the ones I get from the hardware store for about $7. They are light, durable, and they stay sharp. They are simply a blade and a wooden handle, but they are some of the best machetes I've ever owned. They can clear through some major brush.

As far as zombies go, an aluminum t-ball is the best melee weapon. Blades can break and need to be sharpened. They can also become lodged in bone and, depending on the length, can become a problem in close quarters.

An aluminum t-ball is the perfect blend of speed, strength, versatility, weight, and killing power; moreover, there is no maintenance on the weapon.

Polearms, dude, polearms. Is an unarmoured necrotic body is going to stop a well-maintained glaive?

In a fight, distance is life. All the more so with zombies!
(although, what zombie rules are we even positing? that'll matter in terms of how effective blunt trauma is...)

For a bit more on the long-term side, aluminum is hard to work; you can work up a crude smithy to reshape iron and steel just about anywhere, but Al is way more finicky. That intermediate period between immediate post-catastrophe looting and long-term population concentrating and redevelopment is a problem in a lot of areas...

... this is my signature!
24-10-2014, 12:17 PM
(24-10-2014 11:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, a "good" machete are the ones I get from the hardware store for about $7. They are light, durable, and they stay sharp. They are simply a blade and a wooden handle, but they are some of the best machetes I've ever owned. They can clear through some major brush.

Polearms, dude, polearms. Is an unarmoured necrotic body is going to stop a well-maintained glaive?

(although, what zombie rules are we even positing? that'll matter in terms of how effective blunt trauma is...)

For a bit more on the long-term side, aluminum is hard to work; you can work up a crude smithy to reshape iron and steel just about anywhere, but Al is way more finicky. That intermediate period between immediate post-catastrophe looting and long-term population concentrating and redevelopment is a problem in a lot of areas...

No I get that, but if WD and Romero taught us anything, it's that you're going to get into some close quarters and surrounded. Having a polearm is bad news then.

Also, I think you SEVERELY underestimate the sheer availability; almost infinite supply of t-ball bats in existence. Even if that did become a problem, aluminum doesn't rust or degrade and is 100% recyclable and is literally everywhere. Only the process of extracting aluminum from ore is difficult (which is why aluminum use to be a rare commodity). The processed and molded aluminum can be easily melted down and shaped and reused over and over again while never rusting or degrading (which is why I'm confused as to why or how all the t-ball bats would go away).

I'm thinking the aluminum bats would far outlive the zombie apocalypse.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-10-2014, 12:27 PM
(23-10-2014 07:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've got the conch.

It's much better than having the clap.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-10-2014, 12:28 PM
(24-10-2014 12:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm thinking the aluminum bats would far outlive the zombie apocalypse.

Nothing outlives the zombie apocalypse. Humanity is doomed.

What's the point? There is no ultimate point. We are the last generation.

Discuss.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I think maces are the best against heads. Even if they are wearing a helmet it can still do some damage, have it collapse on it's self.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
24-10-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm not actually sure what a t-ball bat is. Google didn't help me.
24-10-2014, 12:43 PM
(24-10-2014 12:36 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm not actually sure what a t-ball bat is. Google didn't help me.

T-ball is baseball with no pitching.

24-10-2014, 12:48 PM
(24-10-2014 12:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Polearms, dude, polearms. Is an unarmoured necrotic body is going to stop a well-maintained glaive?

No I get that, but if WD and Romero taught us anything, it's that you're going to get into some close quarters and surrounded. Having a polearm is bad news then.

Well sure, if you're a foolish movie character...
Cool

(24-10-2014 12:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, I think you SEVERELY underestimate the sheer availability; almost infinite supply of t-ball bats in existence. Even if that did become a problem, aluminum doesn't rust or degrade and is 100% recyclable and is literally everywhere. Only the process of extracting aluminum from ore is difficult (which is why aluminum use to be a rare commodity). The processed and molded aluminum can be easily melted down and shaped and reused over and over again while never rusting or degrading (which is why I'm confused as to why or how all the t-ball bats would go away).

I'm thinking the aluminum bats would far outlive the zombie apocalypse.

Can you re-cast it anything remotely like its original form? They're hollow... Probably not without a lot more technology than you're going to have on hand. Although I guess "lumpy stick" is almost as good as a well-made bat...

But that's the thing, even though there are pretty large supplies of everything now, those are for most purposes mostly non-renewable.

24-10-2014, 12:52 PM
(24-10-2014 12:36 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm not actually sure what a t-ball bat is. Google didn't help me.

[Image: t-ball-p1.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user