"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald 0% 0 0%
"Animal Farm" by George Orwell 7.69% 1 7.69%
"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain 0% 0 0%
Total 13 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TTA book club

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 11:17 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
TTA book club
How about a book club? Seems like something that could be implemented fairly easily on a forum. We pick a book, take a month (or 2 weeks or something, maybe more or less depending on the size of the book), and then discuss it. We could do a series of essays. We could do themes. Non-fiction, fiction, essays, mystery, suspense, history, etc.

I propose we read (in no particular order)

"The Missionary Position" By Hitchens

"God is not Great" By Hitchens

"The God Delusion" By Dawkins

"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Twain

"Animal Farm" by Orwell

And any others you guys might want. I'll wait and see what the response rate is and see if there are a few more suggestions that might come through the pipeline. Then we can vote on which to read first? And an appropriate amount of time to give?

Note: I do not intend for people to have to write essays or lengthy replies to any book we read. I obviously can't stop you if you feel so inclined, but I think the idea is more so one of saying what you and did not like about the story, characters, setting, writing style, etc. And also to ask questions and give opinions on interpretations. I am not trying to assign homework here people!

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2013, 09:30 AM
RE: TTA book club
You had me at The Missionary Position...

... and lost me at The Great Gatsby. Once at uni was more than enough. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-04-2013, 09:35 AM
(05-04-2013 09:30 AM)Vera Wrote:  You had me at The Missionary Position...

... and lost me at The Great Gatsby. Once at uni was more than enough. Drinking Beverage

I was made to read it in high school, and hated it. But I wonder if I would feel the same way about it, if I read it willingly?

Evolve
05-04-2013, 09:44 AM
(05-04-2013 09:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I was made to read it in high school, and hated it. But I wonder if I would feel the same way about it, if I read it willingly?

Been wondering the same. But not nearly enough to actually try it... Angel

I remember vehemently disliking Tender Is The Night, or one of the characters, or something... That one I read as a teen, so it 's been a while. Never enjoyed most American literature that much, actually. No offence meant, just personal taste.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
(05-04-2013 09:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How about a book club? Seems like something that could be implemented fairly easily on a forum. We pick a book, take a month (or 2 weeks or something, maybe more or less depending on the size of the book), and then discuss it. We could do a series of essays. We could do themes. Non-fiction, fiction, essays, mystery, suspense, history, etc.

I propose we read (in no particular order)

"The Missionary Position" By Hitchens

"God is not Great" By Hitchens

"The God Delusion" By Dawkins

"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Twain

"Animal Farm" by Orwell

And any others you guys might want. I'll wait and see what the response rate is and see if there are a few more suggestions that might come through the pipeline. Then we can vote on which to read first? And an appropriate amount of time to give?

This sounds interesting...I've read the first four already and I'm interested in the others. Not sure I could do essays, I'm really out of practice when it comes to academic stuff, but I can give my opinions. I'd be interested Big Grin.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
05-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Oops, I did not mean to imply we write essays, but read them. As in, some books are just collections of essays, like "Arguably" by Hitchens

Evolve
05-04-2013, 09:57 AM
(05-04-2013 09:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Oops, I did not mean to imply we write essays, but read them. As in, some books are just collections of essays, like "Arguably" by Hitchens

Well that's better for me at least.

And on that note, I also possess Arguably in my collection, though I've yet to read it.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

05-04-2013, 10:00 AM
(05-04-2013 09:57 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 09:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Oops, I did not mean to imply we write essays, but read them. As in, some books are just collections of essays, like "Arguably" by Hitchens

Well that's better for me at least.

And on that note, I also possess Arguably in my collection, though I've yet to read it.

I have that one at the ready, as well as "The Missionary Position" (which I am already >50% through).

I think some of these (like Huck Finn and the Great Gatsby) may be possible to download for free via Nook or Kindle. Otherwise, buying off of amazon is really cheap.

Evolve
05-04-2013, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 10:09 AM by TheAmazingAustralopithecus.)
(05-04-2013 10:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 09:57 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Well that's better for me at least.

I have that one at the ready, as well as "The Missionary Position" (which I am already >50% through).

I think some of these (like Huck Finn and the Great Gatsby) may be possible to download for free via Nook or Kindle. Otherwise, buying off of amazon is really cheap.

Well, The Missionary Position is very good, I re-read it a couple of months ago. It was actually the first Hitchens book I'd read before getting into God Is Not Great.

I also live really near a library so it shouldn't be too difficult for me to get hold of most books Big Grin. Call me old fashioned if you will.

[+] 3 users Like TheAmazingAustralopithecus's post
05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Re: TTA book club
Sounds cool.

I have the audio version of Arguably. Pleasing to hear so many different rambles
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post