"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain 0% 0 0%
Total 13 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TTA book club

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: TTA book club
Sounds like we might have 4 takers thus far. I'll do it with that many, but we will give it a few more hours and then I'll set up a pole to vote on which book to read first?

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 10:19 AM
(05-04-2013 10:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sounds like we might have 4 takers thus far. I'll do it with that many, but we will give it a few more hours and then I'll set up a pole to vote on which book to read first?

Sounds good to me. I'm already reading a book but I can fit things around it, no worries.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
05-04-2013, 10:19 AM
(05-04-2013 10:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sounds like we might have 4 takers thus far. I'll do it with that many, but we will give it a few more hours and then I'll set up a pole to vote on which book to read first?

Hope you're not counting me in, though. I don't do dissections, be it books, films or people Angel

I will be watching from the sidelines and sniggering quietly though Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I can add "Mortality" by Hitchens to the list too. I have that checked-out, but got caught up reading other books, so it would give me additional motivation to finish it.

Evolve
05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Okay...3 then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freaking foreigners!

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2013, 10:21 AM
(05-04-2013 10:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I can add "Mortality" by Hitchens to the list too. I have that checked-out, but got caught up reading other books, so it would give me additional motivation to finish it.

I've read Mortality too xD. It's very good though so I'm not bothered if you add it to the list.

And I'm also a foreigner Tongue.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

[+] 1 user Likes TheAmazingAustralopithecus's post
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
(05-04-2013 09:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How about a book club? Seems like something that could be implemented fairly easily on a forum. We pick a book, take a month (or 2 weeks or something, maybe more or less depending on the size of the book), and then discuss it. We could do a series of essays. We could do themes. Non-fiction, fiction, essays, mystery, suspense, history, etc.

I propose we read (in no particular order)

"The Missionary Position" By Hitchens

"God is not Great" By Hitchens

"The God Delusion" By Dawkins

"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Twain

"Animal Farm" by Orwell

And any others you guys might want. I'll wait and see what the response rate is and see if there are a few more suggestions that might come through the pipeline. Then we can vote on which to read first? And an appropriate amount of time to give?

Note: I do not intend for people to have to write essays or lengthy replies to any book we read. I obviously can't stop you if you feel so inclined, but I think the idea is more so one of saying what you and did not like about the story, characters, setting, writing style, etc. And also to ask questions and give opinions on interpretations. I am not trying to assign homework here people!

I was not fan of Gatsby when I read it in high school.

The God Delusion is actually on my kindle...so I guess I'll have go at that (again).

Animal Farm -- I have read but not for a long time...Will have to reread it another time...

I've never read a book by HItch...So they're definitely on my list...

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-04-2013, 10:33 AM
(05-04-2013 10:24 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was not fan of Gatsby when I read it in high school.

The God Delusion is actually on my kindle...so I guess I'll have go at that (again).

Animal Farm -- I have read but not for a long time...Will have to reread it another time...

I also read Gatsby in high school and despite the fact that people on here and in my school hated it, I actually liked it...granted, not as much as I would have reading it outside of school and obligation but I still enjoyed it. So hopefully I'll enjoy it when I do go back to it.

And you're missing out if you've not read Hitch Tongue. Even when you disagree with him he's good.

05-04-2013, 10:36 AM
(05-04-2013 10:33 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 10:24 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was not fan of Gatsby when I read it in high school.

I also read Gatsby in high school and despite the fact that people on here and in my school hated it, I actually liked it...granted, not as much as I would have reading it outside of school and obligation but I still enjoyed it. So hopefully I'll enjoy it when I do go back to it.

And you're missing out if you've not read Hitch Tongue. Even when you disagree with him he's good.

This could prove interesting. Have read the majority of the listed books but would be willing to reread and opine.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I'd be tentatively in... if I can read P K Dick's, Man In The High Castle... or rather, reread it. I've been looking for an excuse to do so and this might be it. Shy

I know I can borrow God Is Not Great from a friend's library. Not certain it would be my thing but I'd give it a try, though I'd much rather read his final book of essays - I always enjoyed his Vanity Fair pieces. Consider Maybe I'll read both and compare.

Confused Didn't care for Gatsby? But, but ... it's the writing. Fitzgerald's words were prosaic observations, revealing human flaws deeply embedded within the facets of a diamond-like existence. Oh well, maybe it sucked and I just didn't notice at the time. Dodgy

I might reread Huck' Finn since I've been looking for an opportunity to plagiarize portions of my brother's master's thesis; this may be my chance. Smile

Ha! Animal Farm; I haven't thought of that in years. Probably means I'm due for a reread. Wink

I'll have to look for Missionary Position and God Delusion - I'll bet I can get those in audio books. Those will make for some great driving! Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post