"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain 0% 0 0%
Total 13 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TTA book club

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 11:22 AM
RE: TTA book club
I posted the poll with the options I had up to Kim's first post. I made it so that you can vote on multiple options, but maybe only vote for 2?

I did that since we currently have more options than we have interested readers, so hopefully that will make it more obvious which we should go with first.

And I put a time limit of 4 days, may not take that long to get all the votes in, but I don't want the poll to be indefinite.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2013, 11:44 AM
5 votes for 5 different books...Going to be a slim win I suppose.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Ok... I'm shopping right now and have Arguably in my cart. I'd probably end up getting most of these books regardless but, I think I'll hold out my purchases until the first polling is complete. I haven't voted yet... I feel like I want to follow the herd on this. Wink

I recant; I do not want to read The Missionary Position. I love Hitch but I can not stomach Mother Teresa - just thinking about her makes my blood turn to rust. I could probably read a short essay but not an entire book featuring her. No I'll leave that book to everyone else.

I've never read any of Dawkins' work but I've seen him speak. I hope his writing is as interesting and pleasant as he seems to be. 'Cause I just tossed The God Delusion into my cart. Tongue
OK - Just voted. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-04-2013, 12:04 PM
(05-04-2013 12:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Ok... I'm shopping right now and have Arguably in my cart. I'd probably end up getting most of these books regardless but, I think I'll hold out my purchases until the first polling is complete. I haven't voted yet... I feel like I want to follow the herd on this. Wink

I recant; I do not want to read The Missionary Position. I love Hitch but I can not stomach Mother Teresa - just thinking about her makes my blood turn to rust. I could probably read a short essay but not an entire book featuring her. No I'll leave that book to everyone else.

I've never read any of Dawkins' work but I've seen him speak. I hope his writing is as interesting and pleasant as he seems to be. 'Cause I just tossed The God Delusion into my cart. Tongue

I think you'll enjoy Dawkins's prose.

And if you dislike Mother Teresa, then surely a book about how immoral she is would be right up your street? xD.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
05-04-2013, 12:14 PM
(05-04-2013 12:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Ok... I'm shopping right now and have Arguably in my cart. I'd probably end up getting most of these books regardless but, I think I'll hold out my purchases until the first polling is complete. I haven't voted yet... I feel like I want to follow the herd on this. Wink

OK - Just voted. Thumbsup

It is a very short book, but I am finding myself a bit tear-eyed while reading some parts of it. And not from joy I must profess.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-04-2013, 12:15 PM
I love huck finn! You can download it free on kindle.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-04-2013, 12:15 PM
(05-04-2013 12:04 PM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  And if you dislike Mother Teresa, then surely a book about how immoral she is would be right up your street? xD

Chances are, I'd read the gist of Hitch's ideas about her in his numerous magazine articles; could even be the main contribution to the formation of my opinion of her.

Nope, she's dead.<-- I'm very OK with that and have moved on. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-04-2013, 12:25 PM
(05-04-2013 12:15 PM)kim Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 12:04 PM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  And if you dislike Mother Teresa, then surely a book about how immoral she is would be right up your street? xD

Chances are, I'd read the gist of Hitch's ideas about her in his numerous magazine articles; could even be the main contribution to the formation of my opinion of her.

Nope, she's dead.<-- I'm very OK with that and have moved on. Shy

Ding dong, the witch is dead!

I was about to say that's insensitive but I just realised the above sentence is practically calling her a saint compared to some things Hitchens has said about her...

And the competition is heating up! Hitchens vs Dawkins for now, it seems!

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

05-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to Arguably - I've missed Hitch.
Also, The God Delusion - I want to see what all the fuss is about. Smile

05-04-2013, 12:43 PM
(05-04-2013 12:41 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm really looking forward to Arguably - I've missed Hitch.
Also, The God Delusion - I want to see what all the fuss is about. Smile

What will we do if it's a tie...?