To Save Souls
Looking to hook up
For educational purposes
For Sciency Stuff
To Paractice Debating
To Practice Insults
Where am I?
[Show Results]

TTA by the numbers or What Makes You Stay?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: 2014 TTA by the numbers or What Makes You Stay?
(08-04-2014 03:24 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 09:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm surprised "looking to hook up" has no votes.

I thought about clicking that one (I need a man Sadcryface2 ). I wouldn't mind hooking up if I found someone here to hooks up with but that isn't a real reason why I stay and it was like only a tiny thought in the back of my mind when I joined. I came as a place to be among smart people (intelligences vary as they may) that didn't care I didn't believe in gods and some place I can talk. Granted I don't have much to say. Most the time I spend browsing the threads to see all the smart and interesting things people manage to think. But when I do say something I don't feel scared or pressured and I feel welcomed. That's why I like it here Big Grin

You already agreed to marry me, so...

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 04:52 PM
(08-04-2014 10:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not that simple, Grammatik-Nazi:

"Americans tend to treat collective nouns as single units, so it’s more common to use the singular verb unless you’re definitely talking about individuals. So in America you would be more likely to hear “The faculty is meeting today” than “The faculty are meeting today.”

In British usage, however, it’s the opposite; it’s more common to use the plural verb. In fact, some sentences that are perfectly correct in Britain would be considered incorrect in America. Take “Cambridge are winning the boat race.” Although I spent my elementary-school years in London, I have been fully Americanized, so this sentence doesn’t sound right to me. As an American, I would say, “Cambridge is winning.”
"TTA" is a collective noun? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-04-2014, 04:56 PM
(08-04-2014 03:24 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 09:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm surprised "looking to hook up" has no votes.

I thought about clicking that one (I need a man Sadcryface2 ). I wouldn't mind hooking up if I found someone here to hooks up with but that isn't a real reason why I stay and it was like only a tiny thought in the back of my mind when I joined. I came as a place to be among smart people (intelligences vary as they may) that didn't care I didn't believe in gods and some place I can talk. Granted I don't have much to say. Most the time I spend browsing the threads to see all the smart and interesting things people manage to think. But when I do say something I don't feel scared or pressured and I feel welcomed. That's why I like it here Big Grin

Well Suzanne. I can't be too harsh a judge.

While it does get a bit annoying to have the sex talk everywhere (Which has gotten much better the last day or two) ....

I am having a baby with someone I met on here, so I can't say too much Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
08-04-2014, 06:31 PM
(08-04-2014 08:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 08:41 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Oh FT. I know you don't mean that Angel

But I do!

I hate touching other people! Makes me feel uncomfortable...

Knowing this now, if I ever met you I'd shake your hand but hold your hand for excessive amount of time beyond the normal accepted handshaking time as well as gently stroking the top of your hand with my other hand.

Just to be a troll.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
(08-04-2014 06:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 08:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  But I do!

Knowing this now, if I ever met you I'd shake your hand but hold your hand for excessive amount of time beyond the normal accepted handshaking time as well as gently stroking the top of your hand with my other hand.

Just to be a troll.

Make sure to look deeply into his eyes too

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
09-04-2014, 03:02 AM
(08-04-2014 06:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 08:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  But I do!

Just to be a troll.

There's accepted amount of time for handshakes between normal and awkward?

It's just all awkward!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
09-04-2014, 06:28 AM
(08-04-2014 04:52 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 10:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not that simple, Grammatik-Nazi:

"Americans tend to treat collective nouns as single units, so it’s more common to use the singular verb unless you’re definitely talking about individuals. So in America you would be more likely to hear “The faculty is meeting today” than “The faculty are meeting today.”

In British usage, however, it’s the opposite; it’s more common to use the plural verb. In fact, some sentences that are perfectly correct in Britain would be considered incorrect in America. Take “Cambridge are winning the boat race.” Although I spent my elementary-school years in London, I have been fully Americanized, so this sentence doesn’t sound right to me. As an American, I would say, “Cambridge is winning.”
"TTA" is a collective noun? Consider

Yes, when it refers to the members, y'know - collectively.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-04-2014, 08:08 AM
(09-04-2014 06:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:52 PM)Vosur Wrote:  "TTA" is a collective noun? Consider

Yes, when it refers to the members, y'know - collectively.

Yes. Not common usage, particularly in American-style English, but it's perfectly cromulent.

As: [the members of] TTA are ___.

... this is my signature!
09-04-2014, 12:53 PM
(09-04-2014 08:08 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 06:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, when it refers to the members, y'know - collectively.

Yes. Not common usage, particularly in American-style English, but it's perfectly cromulent.

As: [the members of] TTA are ___.

Cromulent ? Hobo who uses words like that ? Good Grief Charlie Brown Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
09-04-2014, 01:42 PM
(09-04-2014 12:53 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Cromulent ? Hobo who uses words like that ? Good Grief Charlie Brown Laugh out load

Wrong reference, old man!

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post