To Save Souls
Looking to hook up
For educational purposes
For Sciency Stuff
To Paractice Debating
To Practice Insults
Where am I?
[Show Results]

TTA by the numbers or What Makes You Stay?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 11:19 PM
RE: 2014 TTA by the numbers or What Makes You Stay?
I don't seem to have as much spare time as others here and the time zone issue is a bitch, that said, my drive-by lurking seems well tolerated here.
I find many you-tube gems I would not have otherwise.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Outlet for atheist thinking
For educational purposes
For Sciency Stuff
To Paractice Debating

Also, just to kill time.
On the whole, sites like these make me 99% smarter.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
05-04-2014, 11:42 PM
(05-04-2014 09:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 09:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  FC,
This OP tells us much about you.

Nothing better to do this weekend?

Tongue

LOL!

Weeping

Hey! But wait just a cotton-picking minute here! You answered almost immediately. What does this say about you hmmmmmmmm?

It means that I've not long come off an 11 hour flight and am kinda pinned in to my hotel because the roads outside are cordoned off for a triathlon or some such insanity.
i.e. I have nothing better to do this weekend.

But what I meant was, putting together those stats must have taken some time and effort.
The results are certainly intriguing.

Were you around here when Shannow was creating his forum visuals?

06-04-2014, 01:13 AM
(05-04-2014 11:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 09:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  LOL!

Weeping

Hey! But wait just a cotton-picking minute here! You answered almost immediately. What does this say about you hmmmmmmmm?

It means that I've not long come off an 11 hour flight and am kinda pinned in to my hotel because the roads outside are cordoned off for a triathlon or some such insanity.
i.e. I have nothing better to do this weekend.

But what I meant was, putting together those stats must have taken some time and effort.
The results are certainly intriguing.

Were you around here when Shannow was creating his forum visuals?

Roads closed for some such random stupid sporting event involving running, cycling or kayaking?
You must be in New Zealand. Welcome back to the country.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
06-04-2014, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 09:35 AM by evenheathen.)
I came and I stay because of the vibe of the threads here. I've checked out other places, but this is the only one I really felt like I could be a part of emotionally. Other forums lack the grit and humanness that we have here, and for better or for worse, it's always been a good thing.

I've found comraderie and if nothing else, honesty.

This place has the unusual privilege of being a beacon for those who can be more honest about themselves online than in real life. We can uplift eachother in ways that won't happen in our own communities.

We are the salt of the earth..........goddammit.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
06-04-2014, 01:15 AM
This is the only place that hasn't banned me for excessive swearing or being "abusive" (in my defense she was a fascist nazi cunt) towards moderators.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
06-04-2014, 04:31 AM
I basically have no reason to stay. The website is just easy to get to because I have it as a bookmark, so I just come on, read through some threads, and if I feel like saying something then I do.
06-04-2014, 04:37 AM
My thought process while reading the OP:
(05-04-2014 09:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Out of curiosity I counted how many people joined TTA this year:

911 so far (yeah, I know, coincidence...or is it? Consider )

Oh man he's gotta mention me! I've only been here like 4 months and I'm at like 2,500 posts! Clap

(05-04-2014 09:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Most either do not post or post less than 10 times.
Only 87 have made 10 or more posts.
Only 20 of these have made 100 or more posts.
Four have made 500-999 posts (Mathilda 715, Drich 651, Charis 626, rampant.a.i 530)
Three have made 1000+ posts already! 

...aww Sadcryface Sadcryface2 Weeping

(05-04-2014 09:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Im_Ryan = 2547 (probably nearing 3000 in the few minutes it has taken me to write this Blink )
PaleolithicFreeThinker = 1292
donotwant = 1269

Yay recognition for all my hard work! Laughat
Straight from my profile:
Posts: 2,550 (28.72 per day | 0.48 percent of total posts)
Banana_zorro Banana_zorro Banana_zorro

In all seriousness though, this forum is one of the best things to happen to me this year. I come from a theist family where most don't even know I'm atheist and would probably disown me if they found out (and the ones that do warn me to keep my mouth shut).
All my life I've felt very alone and vulnerable on the subject and have alienated myself because of it (and a nice mix of family problems/depression). I've only been here for 4 months but I feel like this place is a home away from home, my safe place. I can come here and just be me.
I've looked at a few other forums and even joined AF, but it's not the same. This place is like... like a small town. It's big enough to be on the map, but small enough to where everyone knows everyone.
I know I come on here and joke around a lot, but only a few of you guys will understand how much a place like this can really mean to people...

So before I get all sappy, mark me down for these reasons:
  • For Comraderie
  • For Entertainment
  • Outlet for Atheist Thinking
  • For Educational Purposes
  • To Paractice Debating
  • For Family

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 4 users Like Im_Ryan's post
06-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Wait. Where am I? ... Who are you? ... Who am I? Huh

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-04-2014, 04:52 AM
I joined because I like Seth's show. I have also been considering getting fully back into campaigning for free thought. I have a long history but over the past 5 years I have taken a break. Too much Bible study did my head in.

I have been focused on my career solely. So funny, I did not even know who Hitchens was until last year. And I have nearly 30 years invested in the struggle.

It is interesting because I did not go through any school system, having run away to work at age 8. As a result I often communicate in a more direct manner that can be considered rude. I don't mean to be, but I grew up in and around the Australian outback. People are likely to knock you out there over a disagreement. As a teenager I even fought in bare knuckle boxing tournaments to earn money. At one time I lived in a rain forrest when 13 years old after two cattle rustlers tried to rape me.

Why tell you all this? Well I expect or hope free thinkers to be more tolerant. Person to person I am fine and have navigated a career in music quite easily. But communicating on the web differs. War horse already considers me a douch bag, I think it is called. I have no opinion regarding wh. Although I find many people on the net have had safer lives than I.

We shall see how it all goes. For now it is an interesting distraction. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post