TTA forum book. A great idea! Me love you long time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 01:34 AM
TTA forum book. A great idea! Me love you long time!
So here's an idea I had that needs some input, some tweaking, some lube, and some words.

I want to write and compile a book, written by members of TTA, with all earnings being donated to the TTA site.

We will all contribute ideas, content, the book title and cover, and decide upon which ones to use as a community. I'm not quite sure what to include though. Maybe each member gets a couple of pages to say anything they want - possibly real life stories of how you lost your faith or advice for new atheists or really anything you want to say. For those who are terrible at writing and don't like to use paragraphs or spell check, the formatting will also be done by the community.

So once we decide the pages allotted and the format of this thing, whoever wants in can post their piece in this thread, which will be met with suggestions and approval/denial by the other members (we may not want to include 17 pages of your dog Puddles and his favorite activities).

I don't know how we'll handle the financial part without a certain amount of trust. Regardless of who we list as the author (I was just gonna put "by TheThinkingAtheist Community" or something similar), it's going to have to go on someone's account (for Amazon, BnN, iBooks). I was just going to take the reigns and put it on my account (I want the bonus of people buying this book to see an "also by this author" sidebar = traffic to my book). I've already got everything set up, so adding another book would be easy. Financially, I was just going to post like a monthly screenshot of the revenue (supposing there is any, let's not get ahead of ourselves) and then donate that much each month. Like I said, trust.

So what does everyone think? Depending on how many people want to contribute a story, I say we give each person up to roughly 10 pages (maybe just take your best forum thread and spice it up a bit). Meanwhile, cover art and ideas can be discussed and voted on. Each "chapter" will begin with your real name (if you want) and your forum name, maybe with an intro and afterword by me, since I'm spearheading this thing. I don't believe we need permission from Seth, because it's essentially just a collection of people contributing towards a site donation.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
23-01-2013, 01:46 AM
RE: TTA forum book. A great idea! Me love you long time!
(23-01-2013 01:34 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  So here's an idea I had that needs some input, some tweaking, some lube, and some words.

I want to write and compile a book, written by members of TTA, with all earnings being donated to the TTA site.

We will all contribute ideas, content, the book title and cover, and decide upon which ones to use as a community. I'm not quite sure what to include though. Maybe each member gets a couple of pages to say anything they want - possibly real life stories of how you lost your faith or advice for new atheists or really anything you want to say. For those who are terrible at writing and don't like to use paragraphs or spell check, the formatting will also be done by the community.

So once we decide the pages allotted and the format of this thing, whoever wants in can post their piece in this thread, which will be met with suggestions and approval/denial by the other members (we may not want to include 17 pages of your dog Puddles and his favorite activities).

I don't know how we'll handle the financial part without a certain amount of trust. Regardless of who we list as the author (I was just gonna put "by TheThinkingAtheist Community" or something similar), it's going to have to go on someone's account (for Amazon, BnN, iBooks). I was just going to take the reigns and put it on my account (I want the bonus of people buying this book to see an "also by this author" sidebar = traffic to my book). I've already got everything set up, so adding another book would be easy. Financially, I was just going to post like a monthly screenshot of the revenue (supposing there is any, let's not get ahead of ourselves) and then donate that much each month. Like I said, trust.

So what does everyone think? Depending on how many people want to contribute a story, I say we give each person up to roughly 10 pages (maybe just take your best forum thread and spice it up a bit). Meanwhile, cover art and ideas can be discussed and voted on. Each "chapter" will begin with your real name (if you want) and your forum name, maybe with an intro and afterword by me, since I'm spearheading this thing. I don't believe we need permission from Seth, because it's essentially just a collection of people contributing towards a site donation.

I like the idea. I doubt I'm a good enough writer to contribute (not fishing for compliments, there are way better writers on here than me) but I do really like the idea. What will it cost to publish the book?

I don't think we need permission off Seth from a legal sense but it's probably best to check with him first if we use the name 'TTA' or any type of logo linked to the organisation. I think in the past he's preferred people not to use the logo in case anyone mistakes someone else's work for his. It could be the same here.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-01-2013, 01:52 AM
You'll need a hardass editor to do the following:

1. Make sure people who say they will write X, actually write X in a timely fashion
2. Throw out shit that isn't good
3. Throw back stuff that's almost good with advice on how to fix it
4. Be ruthless about spelling, grammar, and formatting
5. Format it in manuscript style for publishing, not "print at home" formatting

Otherwise this won't work.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
23-01-2013, 01:54 AM
Ill be up for this.

Maybe we could have a small section of the most "liked" poems from the poem thread thrown in there.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
23-01-2013, 01:56 AM
So... pictures and pop-ups are okay? Kidding Big Grin

I would love to read a book like this, it would be interesting to see what overall persona comes from it.
23-01-2013, 01:58 AM
(23-01-2013 01:46 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(23-01-2013 01:34 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  So here's an idea I had that needs some input, some tweaking, some lube, and some words.

I like the idea. I doubt I'm a good enough writer to contribute (not fishing for compliments, there are way better writers on here than me) but I do really like the idea. What will it cost to publish the book?

I don't think we need permission off Seth from a legal sense but it's probably best to check with him first if we use the name 'TTA' or any type of logo linked to the organisation. I think in the past he's preferred people not to use the logo in case anyone mistakes someone else's work for his. It could be the same here.

I wasn't going to use the logo or likeness, just explain that the authors are members of the TTA forum. I can even include a "the opinions expressed within are not necessarily those of the TTA creator" if needed. As far as cost, if we use my Lulu account to get it distributed to BnN and iBooks, and then upload those ePub and word files to my Amazon (what I did with my book), it will cost nothing to publish. That's the beauty of self-publishing, the books are made to order. I was gonna set the eBook at 2.99, which gives a 2 dollar profit, and a higher chance that someone will purchase a collaboration of random authors. The actual book, I won't know until we have it written.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
23-01-2013, 02:00 AM
(23-01-2013 01:52 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  You'll need a hardass editor to do the following:

1. Make sure people who say they will write X, actually write X in a timely fashion
2. Throw out shit that isn't good
3. Throw back stuff that's almost good with advice on how to fix it
4. Be ruthless about spelling, grammar, and formatting
5. Format it in manuscript style for publishing, not "print at home" formatting

Otherwise this won't work.

I was just going to use this thread (though that will be a lot of text). A member posts what he wishes to include, the other members correct the grammar and decide if it should be in the book. If you haven't posted by the time the book is published, you don't get a say.

I'm off to bed. I just wanted to get the idea out there. Start thinking about ways to approach this and what it should look like. Also, try to come up with a book title and an idea for a cover pic while you're bored at work.

23-01-2013, 04:11 AM
I'd love to contribute something, but I'm not sure what it'd be. Deconversion stories; essays on specific topics?

It's a decent idea, though. Needs to be fleshed out a little more, but it's a good idea. Remember, good writing projects need to simmer for a long time; letting all the juices bubble and soak. (As in: you pitch the idea with this thread, and the finished product may not be published until 2 years later) No rush.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2013, 05:36 AM
I could write about "Grieving without god".
My time is sporadic though, what time frame were you thinking of?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Lovely idea dude.

To make it less of task we should use existing material where possible. Most of the content is already written (in the threads).

Agree with Phaedrus regarding editing.

Also required is the content. The obvious choice is to align the forum thread sections to the chapter headings which means that readers can easily find more on a subject that interests them.

A debate should be had over the chapter order (to achieve maximum impact i.e. do we start heavy and end light or vice versa or mix it up.

Also required is the chapter structure. I suggest:
a) Paragraph 1: An selection of OPs (which effectively describe what the chapter is about)
b) Paragraph 2 to nn: Supporting contributions / opposing views
c) Paragraph nn+1: Derail / witty / bitchy additions / upside down dogs / recipes, to demonstrate the fun side of this place (keep these 'short' and 'fatal' (if you get my drift))
d) Last Paragraph: A new bit... a summary from someone on how the thread or the whole section or even just one of the posts affected them / changed their views.

Also, of course, I agree with Bemore's poetry idea (pick me, pick me) using the 'like' as a voting mechanism.

Regarding the financial bit... not worried, do whatever works.