TTA forum health
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: TTA forum health
(18-10-2013 05:07 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  When you start having visceral reactions to someone else's metaphysics, whether it's Christian to atheist or atheist to Christian or anything else, some introspection might be warranted.

Introspection is always warranted. No trigger necessary.

Continual introspection is the only means I've found to avoid visceral reactions entirely. They ain't healthy.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
18-10-2013, 05:50 PM
(18-10-2013 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 05:07 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Introspection is always warranted. No trigger necessary.

Continual introspection is the only means I've found to avoid visceral reactions entirely. They ain't healthy.

Visceral reactions are survival instinct thingies, strong emotions, maybe coming from our hardware or possibly from software that has not been digested/integrated properly, or both. They are not appropriate much of the time, but they are alarms that should be looked at. Emotions are never bad, they are based on our evolution and serve purposes. Particularly emotions that are strong enough to send one on a tangent need to be acknowledged and the cause needs to be found. So, yes, introspection.

Just suppressing emotions can be just as bad as just letting them flow.

Bearded, you had a super strong reaction to a theist being in an authority position. Maybe you want to give that some thought...

And no matter what, do come back, we'll leave the light on for ya.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
18-10-2013, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2013 05:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-10-2013 05:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Continual introspection is the only means I've found to avoid visceral reactions entirely. They ain't healthy.

Visceral reactions are survival instinct thingies, strong emotions, maybe coming from our hardware or possibly from software that has not been digested/integrated properly, or both. They are not appropriate much of the time, but they are alarms that should be looked at. Emotions are never bad, they are based on our evolution and serve purposes. Particularly emotions that are strong enough to send one on a tangent need to be acknowledged and the cause needs to be found. So, yes, introspection.

Just suppressing emotions can be just as bad as just letting them flow.

Bearded, you had a super strong reaction to a theist being in an authority position. Maybe you want to give that some thought...

And no matter what, do come back, we'll leave the light on for ya.

Yeah, what she said. For me it's not about suppressing emotions, it's about diverting and distracting them so they don't become visceral. There are very very few circumstances which would warrant my visceral response and your personal metaphysics sure as shit ain't one of them. But yeah, what she said. Thumbsup

#sigh
08-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Attacking Jeremy like this really makes me mad he told me about this topic today and how this bearded guy or whatever has come back since Jeremy left.

I guess the forum is healthy enough under Jeremys admin a year later that he's able to return? What gives?

Jeremy was nothing but good for this place. I didn't post much but I know how much of his time and heart he put into it.

Yes, I'm also a Christian.
[+] 7 users Like queenschosen's post
08-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Do people really want me to rehash this and give an explanation as to why I have returned or to address what the forum's "health" is now ~1 year later?

I had been explicitly avoiding this but it appears that Jeremy still exists in some form. Why do you care that I have returned?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
08-08-2014, 01:51 PM
(08-08-2014 01:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Do people really want me to rehash this and give an explanation as to why I have returned or to address what the forum's "health" is now ~1 year later?

I had been explicitly avoiding this but it appears that Jeremy still exists in some form. Why do you care that I have returned?
Whatever your disagreement with the man was, he's gone, you're here, let's let it die.

QC, I wish you hadn't necroed this particular thread. Some stuff is best left dead and buried.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-08-2014, 01:52 PM
(08-08-2014 01:11 PM)queenschosen Wrote:  Jeremy was nothing but good for this place. I didn't post much but I know how much of his time and heart he put into it.

On that we are agreed Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-08-2014, 01:55 PM
(08-08-2014 01:11 PM)queenschosen Wrote:  Attacking Jeremy like this really makes me mad he told me about this topic today and how this bearded guy or whatever has come back since Jeremy left.

I guess the forum is healthy enough under Jeremys admin a year later that he's able to return? What gives?

Jeremy was nothing but good for this place. I didn't post much but I know how much of his time and heart he put into it.

qc, this is really old news - not current at all. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-08-2014, 02:03 PM
KC. Was nothing but great.
Always. Gave so much here.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 5 users Like WitchSabrina's post
Thread Closed