TTA newbie question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 01:11 PM
TTA newbie question
what is the policy about religious types coming here and 'spreading their awful news'?

I come here to escape that- I get enough of that garbage in my day to day life.

being new here- I don't know what's tolerated and what isn't.

can someone explain?

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
31-05-2013, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 01:20 PM by evenheathen.)
RE: TTA newbie question
Here ya go. Thumbsup
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nd-Members

edit: went back and read that link, it doesn't really cover your question very well. As far as I have seen so far during my time here, religious people are free to come and participate as much as they want. However, they are not welcome to come only for the purpose of preaching, though discussion and debate is encouraged.

They can be annoying, but I've found that it's quite easy to ignore them if you don't want to be bothered.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
31-05-2013, 01:15 PM
It happens. Not often, as they get flamed quickly and repeatedly, but having a "free speech" forum means, you know, free speech.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-05-2013, 01:20 PM
We have a religious type serving as a moderator, so we don't discriminate too much. But the theists certainly are a lot of fun to mock and the majority don't stay long. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
31-05-2013, 01:21 PM
guess I was hoping for an eject button for proselytizers.

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
31-05-2013, 01:38 PM
(31-05-2013 01:21 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  guess I was hoping for an eject button for proselytizers.

There is an ignore function. Yes

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
31-05-2013, 01:41 PM
It's more fun to dick with them. Evil_monster

But I know it's a disconcerting feeling. When I first joined, I was pretty much starting my recovery from religion as I had mostly ignored the situation for about 6 or 7 years. So when I saw theists here, especially Egor, it really set me off. But as time has gone on, I've realized that every encounter with a theist reminds me of how glad I am no longer be under the spell of religious delusion and the whackiness of blind faith!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
31-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Most of them are arrogant attention whores, who can only picture themselves and their "Gawd(s)" in the center the universe. Now either you give a good spanking or ignore them, most of them post like 3 stupid threads whom they never respond to, and they leave feeling that they have "Really left an impact on them damn heretics". Well, I say, let the ignorant stay ignorant if they refuse to look the other way; just hope that they'll be hit by a train someday.
31-05-2013, 03:19 PM

(31-05-2013 01:11 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what is the policy about religious types coming here and 'spreading their awful news'?

can someone explain?

You think you’re entitled to a popular forum as your personal clique. Girl, we live in a world that has a God and that God has to be guarded by men with words. Who’s going to do it, you? You, Bucky Ball!

I have a greater responsibility in this forum than you can possibly fathom. You weep for atheism and you curse the existence of God—You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that theists, while tragic, probably save souls. And my existence, while grotesque, and incomprehensible to you, saves souls.

You don’t want the truth, because in places deep down you don’t talk about at parties, you want me in this forum; you need me in this forum.

Theists use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a girl who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very conversations I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide them.

I’d rather you just said, “Thank you,” and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard and type out an argument—either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Here, let my alter ego have at it:

Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2013, 03:35 PM
(31-05-2013 03:19 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(31-05-2013 01:11 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what is the policy about religious types coming here and 'spreading their awful news'?

can someone explain?

You think you’re entitled to a popular forum as your personal clique. Girl, we live in a world that has a God and that God has to be guarded by men with words. Who’s going to do it, you? You, Bucky Ball!

I have a greater responsibility in this forum than you can possibly fathom. You weep for atheism and you curse the existence of God—You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that theists, while tragic, probably save souls. And my existence, while grotesque, and incomprehensible to you, saves souls.

You don’t want the truth, because in places deep down you don’t talk about at parties, you want me in this forum; you need me in this forum.

Theists use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a girl who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very conversations I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide them.

I’d rather you just said, “Thank you,” and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard and type out an argument—either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Here, let my alter ego have at it:

And back to form. What happened to the touchy feely new age shit you were peddling? Not enough of a flock for you to pump your ego with? Yeah you're real moderator material here.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post