TTIP

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2014, 11:34 AM
TTIP
The TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) is being written up and is looking to be approved. There is a section in this that does not make sense (from a democratic point of view) to me which is the Investor-State dispute settlement

Quote:This procedure would allow companies to sue foreign governments over claims of unfair treatment and to be entitled to compensation. Critics say the measures undermine the power of national governments to act in the interests of their citizens. For example, they warn that tobacco giants could use the procedure to challenge restrictive regulations, citing a case in Australia, where Philip Morris Asia used a 1993 trade agreement with Hong Kong as the basis for a legal move to stop a change to packaging.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30493297

\why would any "democratic" government agree to this? It does not make sense to me? An analogy that comes to my mind is.....

Parent: Its 8PM its time for bed.

Child: My bedtime used to be 9PM, I have another hour and I am achieving a high score on this computer game, so fuck off.

Parent: But I am the authority here, I have the final say on what you can and cant do and I have decided your bedtime is now 8PM. I have decided this new bedtime because it keeps harmony within the household.

Child: Then I will sue you for compensation and loss of high score on my computer game. I have no care for your harmony, nor the need of others as my own needs and wants are more important to me.... so fuck your authority.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2014, 12:26 PM
RE: TTIP
Companies/corporations have great power nowadays. Might be a concession in order to get the rest of it passed?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Is there a definition of "unfair"?

Consider

20-12-2014, 08:08 PM
I think the aim behind that is to help companies get into these new markets (which is the purpose of this whole thing).
Countries could regulate in such a way that would benefit local companies and make it hard for foreign companies to enter into that market. If you allow foreign companies to sue they can sue governments that are trying to give local companies an unfair advantage via regulation.
It says "unfair treatment" and so the example of the tobacco is stupid. If the whole tobacco market is regulated in such a way than that is not unfair to the foreign company because all companies of that type in that market must follow the same rules.
20-12-2014, 08:13 PM
lol

This treaty will not be approved.

It has failed several times over the last 30 years.

Mainly because European countries do not want products from the US agricultural sector to be sold here.

For several differen reasons. For example:

You people wash chicken meat in chlorine?! What the fuck is wrong with you!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
20-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Quote:You people wash chicken meat in chlorine?!

That explains a lot.