TV and movies that look cheesy when old.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2016, 03:53 PM
TV and movies that look cheesy when old.
There are very few old TV shows or movies, that once 20 or 30 years after the fact I can still get into.

Just now I have "Air Force One" the movie with Harrison Ford on, and I did like it when it was new. But the computer graphics and acting seems so cheesy now. And when the hijacked plane lands temporary the Hijacker shoots the pilot and the plane goes out of control and nearly hits things, and all I could think, is there is no fucking way a jet would act like that, in real life the jet would crash.

Another show I used to like was the original Incredible Hulk. In one episode David is on a passenger jet and uncovers a scheme to steal priceless Egyptian antiquities in the cargo hold.

So he is in the cargo hold, and gets confronted by the bad guy, and of course that makes him angry and he gets big and turns green. In the fight the cargo door gets blown open and the Hulk falls out hanging by one hand.

First off, if in real life, if you are on a jet going 500mph and a door blows open and you are anywhere near it, you will get sucked out and die. But in that scene he wasn't even blowing sideways, which wind would do, but hanging straight down.

But more than that, it's faded over time and the colors arn't crisp and sometimes even the acting looks cheesey. I loved the Friday The 13th series too, but now when I watch them they look so fake and stupid.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2016, 04:22 PM
RE: TV and movies that look cheesy when old.
I know. It's funny when I watch some show I thought was fantastic as a teenager and then I go and watch it again, it's like I didn't have any working brain cells as a teen. Some things just don't hold up over time either.

I'm an old movie buff. I love watching old movies from the 30's and 40's and can name all kinds of character actors from 80 years ago but somehow movies from the 70's and 80's look more cheesy than earlier films. Black and white holds up better I think.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Jason and the Argonaut from 1963. I think it's dubbed in Spanish. This is the skeleton scene from that movie and it was considered super cool back in 1963 but today we just laugh at it especially if you compare it to the Pirates of the Caribbean skeleton scene.

My husband still thinks it looks neat.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Not that it was great when it was new, but I caught a bit of Beverly Hills Cop about a week ago and it was super cheesy.
03-07-2016, 05:37 AM
(02-07-2016 04:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I know. It's funny when I watch some show I thought was fantastic as a teenager and then I go and watch it again, it's like I didn't have any working brain cells as a teen. Some things just don't hold up over time either.

I'm an old movie buff. I love watching old movies from the 30's and 40's and can name all kinds of character actors from 80 years ago but somehow movies from the 70's and 80's look more cheesy than earlier films. Black and white holds up better I think.

Especially when the movie relies on top actors and very few camera tricks. Dramas. My two favorite old movies I never get tired of are. "A Patch Of Blue" and "Key Largo" with Humphrey Bogart.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2016, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 07:18 PM by beeglez.)
In middle school, our class was rewarded with a movie day. We watched a VCR tape called "Super Fuzz". It was about a cop who had super powers. He could chase down cars on foot, climb buildings, etc. The only problem was the color red would cause him to temporarily lose his powers. At the end of the movie, for some reason, he was in prison (maybe undercover?), and was in the electric chair. He planned to bust out at the last minute, but his nemesis arranged for a bouquet of red flowers to be delivered to the room at the last minute. He did somehow get out of the situation. We LOVED that movie! A couple of years ago, I found it on Netflix, and was so excited to experience a little nostalgia. It was unwatchable. Horrible acting, atrocious special effects, cheesy acting.

Lots of the shows I grew up on in the 80s are pretty bad now. ALF and Small Wonder are probably the worst ones.

Trailer for Super Fuzz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvYJtpXkM4
07-07-2016, 08:53 AM
(02-07-2016 04:36 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Jason and the Argonaut from 1963. I think it's dubbed in Spanish. This is the skeleton scene from that movie and it was considered super cool back in 1963 but today we just laugh at it especially if you compare it to the Pirates of the Caribbean skeleton scene.

My husband still thinks it looks neat.

I still think it looks cool. Ray Harryhausen's stop motion stuff has a special kind of charm to it.
07-07-2016, 09:06 AM
IMHO.

Most movies from the late 60s to the late 80s, especially Sci-Fi or any special effects, seem to be the "cheesiest".

A lot of the earlier movies are dated for sure, but not really "cheesy".

Going back to silent and early "talkies", I do not think "cheesy" really applies to them either.

As to accuracy, I cannot recall any movie offhand that was not chock full of inaccurate scenes. The worst being anything tech oriented.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
07-07-2016, 09:09 AM
(02-07-2016 04:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Black and white holds up better I think.

Not so much "holds up better", but rather with the lack of color, they were required to actually have a story that ultimately detracted from the cinematic flaws.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 1 user Likes TechnoMonkey's post
07-07-2016, 12:49 PM
(07-07-2016 09:09 AM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 04:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Black and white holds up better I think.

Not so much "holds up better", but rather with the lack of color, they were required to actually have a story that ultimately detracted from the cinematic flaws.

Not necessarily. The 1950s were full of cheesy black and white sci-fi movies (e.g., "Plan 9 from Outer Space"). And it's not just that they look cheesy now. They were cheesy even back then. A friend of mine is a fan of this type of movie. We watch one or two of them every year at Halloween. He has a whole shelf full of them.