TV character outed as an atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
TV character outed as an atheist.
This is probably more of an entertainment category but there are very few atheist characters on TV. Last night I watched an episode of The Good Wife and wife, Alicia, played by Julianna Margulias, and another female character confesses to being an atheist.

Apparently the main character on House and Bones (I get those shows mixed up) are atheists but being a grumpy male atheist seems to be acceptable and even amusing. The character Julianna Margulias plays is well liked, intelligent and even tempered. She's a mother of two teen children. This is a step in the right direction.

I can't think of any other atheist on TV that aren't cartoon-like characters.

Watch out! Times they are a'changin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPoQSnKFCQ

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-06-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: TV character outed as an atheist.
Bones (Brennan) is the mother of a daughter and is the mate of a Catholic. Brennan works in a crime lab environment.

(Bones fan)
I love it when Atheists are in TV but the whole scientific sterotype sorta gets old.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
My mother, also an atheist, told me about the Good Wife deal. Maybe this is a good sign.
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
(03-06-2013 05:04 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Bones (Brennan) is the mother of a daughter and is the mate of a Catholic. Brennan works in a crime lab environment.

(Bones fan)
I love it when Atheists are in TV but the whole scientific sterotype sorta gets old.

Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce from M*A*S*H* was referred to several times as an agnostic.

Brian the dog on family guy (who is basically just Seth Macfarlane) is an Atheist.

Wasn't the David Schwimmer character on Friends vaguely atheistic not sure on that one.

House is a great one and has a lot of good lines.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-06-2013, 05:12 PM
I miss House.
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I found a couple lists of Atheists on television and film

http://www.americanhumanist.org/HNN/deta...television

http://blackskeptics.blogspot.com/2011/0...pular.html

There were more out there than I thought there were.

Lastly I think I should include Gavin from the movie "The Ledge"
I didn't see his name listed in the other lists.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Should be updating them here as we find them.

(03-06-2013 05:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Brian the dog on family guy (who is basically just Seth Macfarlane) is an Atheist.

And don't forget Cleveland Brown Jr. "Yaaaaay! ... But no." Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Great responses everyone. There were more than I expected. I think it's easier to portray an atheist character when it's a comedy. Humor has a way of being an easier truth.

For those who have never watched the show, The Good Wife, the main character is a politicians wife. She confessed to being an atheist however there is also a female politician character running for some office who also confesses to being an atheist.

Looking around the internet I found some unhappy comments from the religious about that particular episode.

Oh well, tough titties.

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
04-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I have been watching a series called 'London Hospital' thru Amazon. I'm on season 2- I have no idea what year its from. The episode I watched last night had an atheist from the Jewish community. It was interesting.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
05-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Sheldon, of The Big Bang Theory has expressed that he is a skeptical agnostic on several occasions. One time he exclaimed "Oh deity, whose existence I doubt!" instead of "Oh, God!". One another occasion his mother insisted he pray before eating, which he tried to refuse, but eventually gave in to. After they were through praying his mother said "See, that wasn't so hard now was it?" to which Sheldon replied, "My objections were based on things other than difficulty." He has expressed similar beliefs elsewhere on the show as well.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post