TV is not your friend.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 03:05 AM by I Am.)
TV is not your friend.
This started as a response the American Perception Of Non-American Comedy thread. I think it deserves its own thread, so I'm classing it as "mental health." Music to set the mood...

Americans have nothing to do with what gets on our TV. It's not a process that's subject to democratic pretense. It is there to define our wants, direct our anger, and tell us how to behave. It is more successful social control than any church, and the crap on it is just as damaging as religious dogma. TV is used to create our enemies. It's used to make us fear each other. It tells us who it's acceptable to kill at public expense. It tells us what pills to tell our doctors to prescribe for us. Reread that last sentence.

The real audience for TV is advertisers, not viewers. Viewers are the product TV delivers to its customers. NOTHING that challenges, or even REFERENCES challenging, established power structure stays on the air long. Seriously, this is intentional and deliberate. How many sitcoms, dramas, etc. have there been about a group of weakly associated people, all more or less subject to hierarchical authority in their respective workplaces/ homes? Nearly every non-"reality" show fits that mold. How many shows have there been about an organized group of people in one factory working together in a labor union, or living together in a cooperative? If anyone can think of one, I'd like to know about it. The Muppet Show, maybe... and that was produced in Britain, after being turned down more than once in the US.

"COPS" remains on the air after 24 years. "Firefly" got 14 episodes, only 11 aired originally. Authority chasing down minor deviants = acceptable. Diverse underdogs working together in spite of authority = unacceptable. Real people holding corporate thieves and self-serving politicians accountable = unthinkable.

My work keeps CNN on in the break room. I try to ignore it, but it leaks in. Friday, I saw Obama with a statement in text under his image. It said something like "US-Russian relations have been tense since the end of the cold war." Translation: "We've always been at war with East Asia." Orwell would be horrified at his prophetic power.

TV does not make you happy. It doesn't improve you. It doesn't connect you to others. It doesn't contribute to your community. It works AGAINST all these goals, and quite successfully. Happy, fulfilled people with strong social networks are less likely to compulsively shop, overeat, drink to excess, and swallow lifestyle pills.

Turn it off. Leave it off. Spend your TV-bill money on a class. Join or start a book club at your library, or at your favorite cafe. Go for a walk. Find a new fuck-buddy. Play with your pet. Masturbate. Scream at the walls until you relieve some frustration. Anything is better for you than that flickering demon.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like I Am's post
11-08-2013, 04:17 AM
RE: TV is not your friend.
So, how does a series like Breaking Bad fit in with this?

What about Game of Thrones?

Why restrict this to only TV, what about books?

I guess with some things on TV you might have a point but I can't really see it as TV in general.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
11-08-2013, 04:31 AM
I am ... pretty much in agreement with I Am.
At least, that's how US TV seems to me (someone raised with the BBC... no ads).

I stopped watching TV altogether over 7 years ago when I moved to Oz and I didn't watch it much before that when in the UK.
Asian TV? No comment.

I am ... with Deep to a degree. There is still quality drama being made. HBO, BBC and ... erm ... Consider

By the way, I Am...
In the view of Today's Threads, your thread reads like...
"TV is not your friend
I Am"

Which amused me.

Smile

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
11-08-2013, 05:20 AM
YouTube is your friend.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
11-08-2013, 06:24 AM
I agree with you I am, however I think only certain things are (dare I say lol) made to condition you. The news and topics on current affairs being the biggest offenders.

Since the birth of the internet many peoples views on things have changed. Information, wether it be biased, twisted, true or bullshit is open to many people and this is slowly changing a certain amount of peoples views on how they see the world.

If it wasnt for the internet I would not be so anti-establishment than I am now and this is dangerous to the authoritys that wish to maintain control, there are many more people like me though and our numbers are growing. The only thing that haunts society now is apathy.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
11-08-2013, 06:35 AM
I guess you're right

[Image: 9f6.gif]
11-08-2013, 08:14 AM
(11-08-2013 04:17 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  So, how does a series like Breaking Bad fit in with this?
What about Game of Thrones?
I've heard of those shows, but haven't watched them. I'm not trying to assert that all popular video entertainment is 100% evil. If those are good shows, fine, watch them... in a group of friends, or in a context similar to a book club, from a recording, without commercials, with an opportunity to talk about them. Use them to build human relation, not preclude it.
Quote:Why restrict this to only TV, what about books?
Many other media are also guilty. Bemore mentioned news, which is carefully crafted to define the scope of thought in any medium. Almost any newspaper is as bad as TV news.
Books... well, if the average American over age 2 spent 34 hours a week reading or being read books, maybe some subset of them would be a serious concern. There are good books and bad books, and they should all be read critically. When you watch TV, try to be as critical and questioning as you might be about a book.
Quote:I guess with some things on TV you might have a point but I can't really see it as TV in general.
I really like some shows, and want to be able to enjoy them. I also want to be aware of their limits.

When you watch your favorite shows, ask this question: "How does this reinforce consumption, and submission?" Talk about it with friends and family. You might notice anger and defensiveness on par with what comes from questioning their God.

11-08-2013, 08:36 AM
(11-08-2013 06:24 AM)bemore Wrote:  I agree with you I am, however I think only certain things are (dare I say lol) made to condition you. The news and topics on current affairs being the biggest offenders.
News is the most influential, you're right. Keep an eye out for the rest. There's more than you might think.
Quote:Since the birth of the internet many peoples views on things have changed. Information, wether it be biased, twisted, true or bullshit is open to many people and this is slowly changing a certain amount of peoples views on how they see the world.
I'm grateful for that. Kitty videos are way better than one-liners and laugh tracks. Live blogging from war zones is far superior to embedded (read: censored) reporting.

11-08-2013, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 09:23 AM by Luminon.)
I stopped watching TV about 7 years ago too. I agree with everything said.

However, I struggle with people who do not recognize this. There are so-called libertarians would fight the taxes to death, but they do not see the mass media as a weapon, neither they see money as a weapon, school curricula as a weapon, religions as a weapon, or the poverty and existential insecurity as a weapon. Libertarians who say that employment is a voluntary contract only defend those misusing circumstances. Violence and coercion does not come only from people or government and it is not always visible or tangible.

People who think they are free, libertarians, are like people who see an ax and think this is the only danger. What I just mentioned is like this old joke.
In an average room there are over 600 things that Chuck Norris can kill you with. Including the room itself.

This is our room, our culture. In an average culture there are hundreds of things that can kill us, including the culture itself, including ourselves, all the things we never question. They say, question everything, but questioning everything is the way to isolation and mental breakdown. If our whole culture is insane, then sane people will be necessarily isolated and under lots of stress. If you're not, ask yourself what you're doing wrong.

We need better definitions of violence. Poverty is economic violence and it is a crime. Boredom and brainwashing is intellectual violence and it is also a crime. I fully agree with the idea of self-ownership, but we can never be free, unless we own our mind. We do not own the ideas of god, Cinderella, Santa Claus, or that the sun is rising and setting down. None of these are real, none of them are asked for or voluntarily installed into our being. Our integrity is destroyed in childhood for the sake of sharing the great cultural delusion.

There is a way to regain that integrity without being raised as such and it is to amputate most of our own being, our identity. To sever our face. People go at extraordinary lengths proverbially to save face. I say, there may come circumstances when you must tear it off and throw it away. It is exactly as pleasant as it sounds. It is the same thing as losing faith is for new atheists, only more than that. Atheists lose faith in god, the faith in Sunday mornings. I lost faith in my week-long, 16 hours-per-day self. If you can do that, then disbelief in media, politics, economy, religion and science is very easy. Veritably, you will realize what it is to lose faith in any ism whatsoever. It is both liberating and imprisoning, like becoming an atheist among Christians.

It is the dark night of the soul, a time of a great stopping, great weighing and judging. I don't always realize how fucked up is that state of being, how destructive, hopeless and yet compellingly addictive by its truthfulness. Perhaps it belongs more to the forum section with violet borders. Because this is not a permanent state, this can not be. Nobody can live and function like that. Atheists know that. They know they can't just disbelieve in god. They are compelled to build a community, create relationships and promote positive values. I see they can do that. It's the Sunday morning stuff.
What I don't see is how can I do that with the 16-hour/day, 7-days-a-week-stuff.
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post
11-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Regardless of anything else, I simply couldn't survive without Family Guy and South Park.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.