TV is not your friend.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: TV is not your friend.
"Social control". Pretty conspiratorial there, guy. Media are a feedback loop with audiences, not some dictatorial cultural mandate.

It's not like TV is any different from any other medium. Sturgeon's law and all that.

(11-08-2013 12:58 AM)I Am Wrote:  "COPS" remains on the air after 24 years. "Firefly" got 14 episodes, only 11 aired originally. Authority chasing down minor deviants = acceptable. Diverse underdogs working together in spite of authority = unacceptable. Real people holding corporate thieves and self-serving politicians accountable = unthinkable.

Firefly was very expensive to make and it had bad ratings. COPS is dirt cheap to make. One needn't indulge in rampant speculation to explain that one...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
While I didn't make a conscious decision to stop watching TV, it came over time. I got so disgusted with the increasing crap level of most shows that I just quit watching almost everything. Some shows I really liked took a turn at some point that caused me to lose interest. I loved House from the first episode but by the end I had just wandered away and forgot about it altogether. Many others have been like that.

There are some that I come to late after hearing from others how good they are and I go back and watch what I missed in other ways such as DVDs and On Demand...LOST comes to mind.

I do watch Game of Thrones and can't wait for the next season to start. So far, it has held my attention.

My husband will watch absolutely anything. I am tired of the soundtrack of my life at home the mindless drivel that he will sit through. Things like Storage Wars and Pawn Stars; Duck Dynasty and Swamp People, American Pickers and the like...there are days when I want to scream at the endless stream of BS shows that seem to be his lifeline. They are the reason I bought my Bose noise cancelling headphones. If I have to sit through another Barrett Jackson auto auction (usually three days worth) I don't think I can be held accountable for my actions!

Reality shows are anything but real. Discovery channel has gone to crap. Even the true crime shows I used to watch are so full of re-enactments and false presentation of potential solutions that it has lost my attention.

Other than Game of Thrones and True Blood (which I haven't watched the last few weeks, it has 'jumped the shark' for me), I can't even tell you what shows are even on the schedule. I will re-watch a favorite movie before choosing to turn the TV on. That's what's so great about Sunday morning here...I am home alone and can actually NOT turn the damn TV on.

A favorite movie, a good book, or schoolwork will pretty much always win out over television programming for me.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-08-2013, 03:42 PM
(11-08-2013 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  "Social control". Pretty conspiratorial there, guy.
Maybe. Here's an interesting thing. The federal government paid about a billion and a half dollars to keep people in front of the tube in 2009. This is the same year the White House proposed to cut $300 million to kids' health programs, $640 million to child welfare programs, and $400 million to child safety programs. Is it still a conspiracy if government publicly prioritizes TV subsidies over human welfare? Can you think of a similar instance of tax-subsidized recreation or entertainment at the level of individual consumers? The federal government wants us watching, because their biggest contributors want us watching.
Quote:Media are a feedback loop with audiences, not some dictatorial cultural mandate.
The audience has effectively zero input. They can select from what's offered, but that doesn't influence content. It isn't a dictatorship, it's a corporate oligarchy, with very strong ties to government.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
11-08-2013, 03:46 PM
(11-08-2013 03:42 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  "Social control". Pretty conspiratorial there, guy.
Maybe. Here's an interesting thing. The federal government paid about a billion and a half dollars to keep people in front of the tube in 2009. This is the same year the White House proposed to cut $300 million to kids' health programs, $640 million to child welfare programs, and $400 million to child safety programs. Is it still a conspiracy if government publicly prioritizes TV subsidies over human welfare? Can you think of a similar instance of tax-subsidized recreation or entertainment at the level of individual consumers? The federal government wants us watching, because their biggest contributors want us watching.
Quote:Media are a feedback loop with audiences, not some dictatorial cultural mandate.
The audience has effectively zero input. They can select from what's offered, but that doesn't influence content. It isn't a dictatorship, it's a corporate oligarchy, with very strong ties to government.

That is an entirely paranoid view of the DTV transition.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 03:56 PM
(11-08-2013 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is an entirely paranoid view of the DTV transition.
Paranoia is suspicion without reason. This isn't suspicion, it's known public policy. We have good reason to mistrust the result of that policy, because it promoted something that does us harm to the exclusion of programs that do us good. There's no paranoia here, just a viewpoint antagonistic to collusion between media and government.

11-08-2013, 04:11 PM
(11-08-2013 03:42 PM)I Am Wrote:  Maybe. Here's an interesting thing. The federal government paid about a billion and a half dollars to keep people in front of the tube in 2009. This is the same year the White House proposed to cut $300 million to kids' health programs, $640 million to child welfare programs, and $400 million to child safety programs. Is it still a conspiracy if government publicly prioritizes TV subsidies over human welfare? Can you think of a similar instance of tax-subsidized recreation or entertainment at the level of individual consumers? The federal government wants us watching, because their biggest contributors want us watching.

I fail to see what the analog to digital broadcast transition has to do with anything. There are many well-documented reasons as to why and how it occurred.

(11-08-2013 03:42 PM)I Am Wrote:  The audience has effectively zero input. They can select from what's offered, but that doesn't influence content.

Wut?

Selecting from the available options is precisely how an audience influences content.

11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
(11-08-2013 04:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I fail to see what the analog to digital broadcast transition has to do with anything. There are many well-documented reasons as to why and how it occurred.

Why did US tax dollars pay to upgrade 2 TVs per home? Rather than, say, letting consumers purchase these things on their own, like every other tech change?

Quote:Selecting from the available options is precisely how an audience influences content.
Selecting from options pre-vetted to match corporate interests doesn't change what options are made available, any more than selecting from a fast food menu changes the items on the menu.

11-08-2013, 04:47 PM
(11-08-2013 03:56 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is an entirely paranoid view of the DTV transition.
Paranoia is suspicion without reason. This isn't suspicion, it's known public policy. We have good reason to mistrust the result of that policy, because it promoted something that does us harm to the exclusion of programs that do us good. There's no paranoia here, just a viewpoint antagonistic to collusion between media and government.

It was a policy about technology transition. The government managed the orderly transition from one broadcast technology to another.

Your view is ridiculous.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I fucking HATE national news outlets. Commercials are also a pet peeve, but they've taken a backseat with the proliferation of the net, where I can read about a story without focusing on the ads.

News should be about current events that affect the majority its audience. National "news" shouldn't be focusing on stories in small communities like the Zimmerman trial. If they wanna have updates, that's one thing, but having entire broadcasts dedicated to such stories is a waste of air-time that could be spent informing everyone about national current events.

To me, it's obvious that dramatic stories get ratings and serve as distractions from real issues. While the Zimmerman verdict was being reacted to, Obama signed new legislation that allows the government to shut down the internet whenever they deem it necessary. I find it FAR too convenient that they passed the measure while Americans were so concerned about the killing of a teenager in a small Florida suburb.

This happens all the time. The Sandy Hook shooting was shocking because there were children involved, but having 3 months of coverage was overkill. Why did the Kacy Anthony trial get a year of coverage? The Zimmerman trial wasn't that important, either. Sure, all of these trials had interesting elements, but none of them were important enough to over-shadow the goings-on in Washington.

This has been happening for years, too. The OJ trial, the Jon Benet Ramsey investigation, Lacy Peterson... it goes on an on.

The problem is, I really don't know how to deal with it since we live in a society where everyone is interested in drama rather than legitimate issues.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
[+] 2 users Like eksyte's post
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
(11-08-2013 04:31 PM)I Am Wrote:  Why did US tax dollars pay to upgrade 2 TVs per home? Rather than, say, letting consumers purchase these things on their own, like every other tech change?

To try and make things easier for people. Wild, I know.

(11-08-2013 04:31 PM)I Am Wrote:  Selecting from options pre-vetted to match corporate interests doesn't change what options are made available, any more than selecting from a fast food menu changes the items on the menu.

Of course it doesn't create new options (at the point of decision...). But you can only sell adspace on something people are watching. Therefore it only makes sense to create things people will want to watch (analogy: Detroit automakers; the 1970s). Fast food chains vary and test new menu options all the time, for that matter. Does the media selection affect consumers' opinions and outlooks? Absolutely. But a top-down one way process? That's a rather demented assertion.