TWA Flight 800

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: TWA Flight 800
(07-11-2013 05:24 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 02:47 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I watched this documentary on NetFlix last week. I believe it's called simply "TWA Flight 800". The work seemed well done, and the testimonies from the folks who were on the original NTSB team were very compelling.

Also, it's been bugging me, but when many folks mention the eyewitness accounts of streaks of light shooting toward the aircraft, they sometimes undersell it as "some people say they saw...". This doesn't even begin to do any justice to the number of people who said they saw what appeared to be "fireworks" or "a missile". I had trouble pinning down a hard number, as I'm sure investigators did as well, but it was anywhere from 150-200 people who reported having seen something like that. I find this number of corroborating eyewitness accounts a lot more compelling than a small handful of people. Saying it was just "some people" may give people the wrong idea about how many folks say they saw such a thing.

I also found the activities of the FBI investigators on the case to be rather suspicious. Changing location tags on pieces of the wreckage to better fit the center wing fuel tank theory?

I have to say that after watching this I was compelled to seek out more information. The Wikipedia page has the appearance of trying to stick to the official NTSB story. It almost reads more like the "official" report. I'm glad to see they changed the "conspiracy theories" link from the article to simply "alternate theories".

I'm also with Chas. I find it silly that anyone would suggest the government of the US in 1996 would cover up evidence of a terrorist attack.

There are still some folks looking at what information they can get their hands on. I found the passenger manifest info interesting. Nothing jumps out though.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/CRA...NGERS.html

I also don't know how to confirm its authenticity. It's a shame the only sites that seem to be looking into all this don't look much more credible than a conspiracy theory site.

One conspiracy theory I heard was that the plane was shot down by the US Navy.....presumably in error. The mishap was then covered up.

Apparently the Navy was conducting exercises nearby.

Yes, this sounded more plausible to me than a terrorist attack when considering the involvement and actions of the Navy, FBI and CIA on the case. Unless I am mistaken, not a single piece of the wreckage (and theoretical pieces of ordnance) made it into the hands of investigators until after it passed through the hands of the Navy. I believe they handled all salvage operations.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 05:58 PM
(19-06-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'd like to see some evidence. Drinking Beverage

The idea that there would be a conspiracy to cover up a terrorist attack beggars belief.

The idea that there would be a conspiracy to cover up a military 'oops' does not.

I'm thinking accidental friendly fire, since the navy was doing exercises in that area at that exact time.

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
07-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:but when many folks mention the eyewitness accounts of streaks of light shooting toward the aircraft

Have you ever served on jury duty? Because a competent attorney can reduce most average Joe-Citizen types to quivering masses of goo under cross examination. Most people are about as observant as a loaf of bread.

Anyway.....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technolo...y-15629315

Quote:The investigators studied it all: the chemistry of the fuel, how the fuel/air vapor could ignite, how the flames could move through the wing after bursting from the tank. They established two independent models to simulate the pressure differences inside the wing, a key part of how the fiery fluid would spread. The Safety Board contracted the University of Nevada to analyze the properties of jet fuel vapor. The team ran hundreds of simulations, brought in Boeing engineers to assess the damage of the airliner's remains, and solicited the opinion of an explosives dynamics expert at the California Institute of Technology. There were flight tests done at the same temperature and conditions as TWA Flight 800 and full-scale fuel tank explosion tests conducted in England.

The litany above actually leaves out tests and academic efforts to understand what happened. All this is to say: The study of TWA 800 was not a sealed-off investigation done by a cadre of bureaucrats. The results were meant to be published, shared, and serve as the foundation of new regulations.

In the end, NTSB found that TWA Flight 800 would not have perished without a flammable fuel/air mix in its central wing tank, but investigators were never sure what sparked the explosion in the first placeā€”the closest they got was "a short circuit outside of the CWT that allowed excessive voltage to enter it through electrical wiring associated with the fuel quantity indication system."

The investigation into TWA 800 inspired new FAA regulations in 2008 that required passenger airplanes to have equipment that replaces oxygen inside fuel tanks with an inert gas, like nitrogen. To believe a cover-up implies that an entire industry was duped into believing fuel tanks could become bombs if the fuel/air mix was just right. Of course, there have been dozens of similar explosions before and (in foreign carriers) after TWA Flight 800, making the accepted theory all too believable.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
07-11-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't believe the "terrorism theory". Terrorists would claim the attack. What is the point of terrorist attack
if nobody even knows about it?

If I have to go with a conspiracy, I would go with the "friendly fire".
That at least would be a good reason for a cover up.
07-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:Terrorists would claim the attack.

So would the government...... those sorts of things can be used for all sorts of atrocities as 9-11 demonstrated.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
08-11-2013, 10:38 AM
That documentary is pretty damn convincing I've gotta say.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2013, 04:37 AM
(07-11-2013 05:53 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 05:24 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  One conspiracy theory I heard was that the plane was shot down by the US Navy.....presumably in error. The mishap was then covered up.

Apparently the Navy was conducting exercises nearby.

Yes, this sounded more plausible to me than a terrorist attack when considering the involvement and actions of the Navy, FBI and CIA on the case. Unless I am mistaken, not a single piece of the wreckage (and theoretical pieces of ordnance) made it into the hands of investigators until after it passed through the hands of the Navy. I believe they handled all salvage operations.

This is what it looks like when americans accidently shoots down a civilian passenger jet.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?