09-11-2015, 02:54 PM
RE: Tables are aware now
my impression after reading that is

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
09-11-2015, 03:11 PM
(09-11-2015 12:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A theist on a Facebook group said the following:
"I BELIEVE the universe is causal and deterministic. This implies that the universe is continuously composing every moment, and by definition it is omnipresent and omniscience. Thus, the universe is one supreme being creator that discerned every historical event and its effect on the civilization ( including the events surrounding Plato, Einstein, Jesus christ, Muhammad, even you)."

There were several back and forths but suffice it to say, the challenge was levied to the theist to demonstrate the validity of the claims implied in their statement. Namely, how does one assess that the universe is conscious or contains knowledge or is aware?

Then they produced this gem

I may have found another theist more dishonest and ignorant than Tomasia Drinking Beverage

It is not shaped like a living thing, it isn't a giant brain. It is no more alive than a hurricane. It is nothing more than a giant weather pattern we happen to be riding in.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to think of something to say to someone who informs me that his table is aware.

I can imagine that a table has the spirit of Elvis Presley or maybe each leg has a secret desire to start walking, but that's all in my imagination.

What if I make a claim that only part of the table is aware. I claim that only the electrons in the table are aware vs his claim that every part of the table is aware.

What steps can we take to determine if one of us is right or if both of us are wrong ?

How do we test for awareness in something that isn't alive, in something that cannot communicate with you and appears to be, at first glance, quite unaware of its surroundings.

One might ask, when did it become aware and when did you become aware of its awareness ?

If I take a leg off a table, does the leg become aware at the instant it is removed from the table ?

Lastly, as humans, our senses are quite limited and we are only aware of the world when we are conscious.
I would submit that all tables are unconscious and as such, unaware.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-11-2015, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 06:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-11-2015 12:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A theist on a Facebook group said the following:
"I BELIEVE the universe is causal and deterministic.

Wishful thinking. Why does he BELIEVE that? What grounds does he have to believe this? 'Cause he can't imagine no different? Don't make it sound. Think it might not be valid either as it seems to suffer from the argument from ignorance fallacy.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-11-2015, 09:18 PM
So is the Periodic Table aware? Does it have free will? Could it change if it wanted to? Consider

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
09-11-2015, 09:24 PM
(09-11-2015 09:18 PM)f stop Wrote:  Does it have free will?

yes. Yes it does. ... I mean apart from the fact free will itself is the is is the biggest what the fuck you gonna do about it.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-11-2015, 09:30 PM
"I BELIEVE the universe is causal and deterministic. This implies that the universe is continuously composing every moment, and by definition it is omnipresent and omniscience. Thus, the universe is one supreme being creator that discerned every historical event and its effect on the civilization ( including the events surrounding Plato, Einstein, Jesus christ, Muhammad, even you)."

There were several back and forths but suffice it to say, the challenge was levied to the theist to demonstrate the validity of the claims implied in their statement. Namely, how does one assess that the universe is conscious or contains knowledge or is aware?

Then they produced this gem

I may have found another theist more dishonest and ignorant than Tomasia Drinking Beverage

"it is impossible for it to maintain it's form without immediate awareness of itself and it's surroundings."

Hold up a second... If the table has to be aware of it being a table in order to be a table... How'd it first know it was a table? I mean, it wouldn't have had form at that point...

My head hurts...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
09-11-2015, 10:55 PM
(09-11-2015 09:18 PM)f stop Wrote:  So is the Periodic Table aware? Does it have free will? Could it change if it wanted to? Consider

Not only is it aware, it has impressive personal character. It has many noble parts to it. Its metal is well-tested and in many ways it exemplifies the golden rule, as well as an element of the mercurial, and deep down in it you can see that it is born to lead.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
10-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Changed the definition of 'aware' to the point that it's meaningless. I submit that he's about as aware as his table.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-11-2015, 01:44 AM
(09-11-2015 10:55 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 09:18 PM)f stop Wrote:  So is the Periodic Table aware? Does it have free will? Could it change if it wanted to? Consider

Not only is it aware, it has impressive personal character. It has many noble parts to it. Its metal is well-tested and in many ways it exemplifies the golden rule, as well as an element of the mercurial, and deep down in it you can see that it is born to lead.

*mettle

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user