Tact on social media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Tact on social media
I was having a browse on Twitter the other day and read a lively conversation where Richard Dawkins was pictured pointing to a whale with feet. Naturally this brought out Internet tomfoolerly at it's finest, it's probably still there if you feel the need to look.

So as I've been researching my latest foray into non-belief, I find things whilst browsing that I think 'yeah, that's good, must put that on my Facebook'. Then I pause and think who's on my friend's list. I'm not one to post the dirty laundry on Facebook/Twitter etc for all to see. My friends and followers include; Pastors of churches I have attended, practising christian friends as well as work colleagues, family etc who really don't care.

Knowing how quickly things can get heated and out of control in the area of social networking and knowing that a lot of these people know where I live and have my phone number, I hesitate and think that it's best left alone.
In a recent phone call a very close friend of mine went incredibly quiet, albeit momentarily, when I told him that I no longer believed in god.

This made me wonder what experiences others have had. Have you been confronted/deleted/attacked/blocked/evangelised at for posting anything on social media that confronts religion or outs you wherever you are at?
What I really don't want right now is confrontation, concern, house calls etc from people trying to get me back in church. I also wonder any of these people will genuinely fear for my eternal soul, I've already been told that I'm off to hell from the person that totally turned me off christianity.

Have you been tactful, let it all hang out or just watched, listened and remained quiet? I'm intruiged to know!

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2015, 10:31 PM
RE: Tact on social media
I am out to my family and friends. After much debate, I did decide to come out on facebook to a select group of facebook friends which included high school classmates and college classmates. I intentionally blocked co-workers, clients, and those I knew to be extremely religious. The responses ranged from "I'm surprised to hear that" to "this doesn't change our friendship" to "Me too!". It's possible some people unfriended me. I don't know or care, and didn't take a tally. My facebook policy used to be to avoid any and every thing remotely religious, political, or controversial. Now, I'm more bold. I still won't openly discuss atheism, but it's pretty clear I'm no Bible thumper. I won't hesitate to post pro-marriage equality posts, or pro-physician assisted suicide for the terminally ill posts. If someone posts a religious comment or conservative political post on their personal page, I ignore it. It's their page, and unless they ask for debate, I respect their right to post what they like without being called out. If it's a public forum, I will challenge. During the Brittany Maynard story (the young woman who chose Physician assisted suicide after her terminal brain cancer diagnosis), if someone said "Only God gets to decide when we die", I did not hesitate to say "NO. SHE gets to decide". When there is a story about people surviving a horrible car crash, amidst all the "God was watching out for them" comments, I'll say "Modern automobile technology is remarkable" A year ago, I would have done none of that.

If religion comes up at work, I have no problem saying I'm not religious without directly saying I'm an atheist. (Though, as I posted in another thread yesterday, I did accidentally out myself at work!). I do not ever see myself mocking religion on facebook because it is disrespectful to my religious friends. I would like to be able to post about atheist events I attend, or share links from atheist related sites, but I'm not comfortable doing that just yet.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
17-03-2015, 10:38 PM
I don't post much on Facebook about atheism.

Guns, on the other hand...

'Murican Canadian
17-03-2015, 10:46 PM
(17-03-2015 10:38 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't post much on Facebook about atheism.

One advantage of living in the South - you might have to be a closet atheist, but you sure as hell don't have to be a closet gun enthusiast! People might look at you strangely if you say you aren't religious, but if you say you're going to the gun range or a gun show, they don't blink!
18-03-2015, 02:54 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 02:57 AM by yakherder.)
(17-03-2015 10:46 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 10:38 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't post much on Facebook about atheism.

One advantage of living in the South - you might have to be a closet atheist, but you sure as hell don't have to be a closet gun enthusiast! People might look at you strangely if you say you aren't religious, but if you say you're going to the gun range or a gun show, they don't blink!

I'm in the unique position (as far as guns are concerned) of living in Quebec but still returning to Vermont regularly for Army training. Most of my acquaintances in Quebec have never touched a gun before, and Canadian laws are quite restrictive by US standards. Vermont, on the other hand, right across the border, is one of the most gun friendly states.

I can grab a Canadian friend, bring them across the border, pick up my Vector and my M4, borrow a friend's SIG Sauer, give all three to my Canadian buddy to open carry or conceal at his or her convenience, deck them out in tac gear, and hit the range there. Makes for some fun Facebook moments when I introduce them to American gun culture a mere half hour drive from a completely different world.

Without exception, after a brief safety lesson and a day of fun, expending ammunition from my scary assault weapons, going full auto-ish with the bump fire stock, they always want to come back for more. Doing my part create Canadian gun nuts Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
18-03-2015, 03:01 AM
I stick to 'reactive' atheism on FB. I don't appreciate people in my face about religion, so ja, I don't get up people's noses about unbelief. But a couple of people I know post a lot of religious stuff, and occasionally, especially if it's something bad like anti-vax stuff or anti-science - like homeopathy for example - I'll comment - depending how things go I won't hold back either. For some reason woo doesn't discriminate - most people who're into one type of woo will happily swallow another type of woo without choking.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Quote:I don't post much on Facebook about atheism.

I live in the UK and nobody has so much as batted an eyelid of the pix of me with guns that were taken when I was in the US.

I did post something derogatory about Cliff Richard and got some backlash from the christians. He was having his house tossed over sex abuse claims at the time.

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
18-03-2015, 06:27 PM
(18-03-2015 02:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 10:46 PM)beeglez Wrote:  

, after a brief safety lesson

So you teach them not to do this? This video almost made my heart stop the first time I saw it. Shocking

https://youtu.be/Gpqsvv6w6Zw

Though many of my friends grew up around guns, there were never any in my home, and I never touched one until about 3 years ago, when I was in my late 30s. I just decided to learn something that was outside my comfort zone, and signed up for a basic handgun safety course. I was instantly hooked!
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
18-03-2015, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 07:45 PM by yakherder.)
(18-03-2015 06:27 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 02:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  , after a brief safety lesson

So you teach them not to do this? This video almost made my heart stop the first time I saw it. Shocking

https://youtu.be/Gpqsvv6w6Zw

Though many of my friends grew up around guns, there were never any in my home, and I never touched one until about 3 years ago, when I was in my late 30s. I just decided to learn something that was outside my comfort zone, and signed up for a basic handgun safety course. I was instantly hooked!

Lol, yeah that... I may come off as a fruitcake, because I am, but with the way things are right now the last thing we need is more negligent discharge videos making their way to youtube. I'm not gonna be 'that guy'.

I definitely grew up immersed in guns though. I was hunting alone at our cabin in Alaska by the time I was 10, but before that I had a very weak BB gun and my stepfather didn't let me touch a real one until muzzle awareness was instinct.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-03-2015, 07:42 PM
living in a southern US state, I sometimes walk that fine line between being "out" and not. If asked directly I will state that I'm a non believer. I will post humanist type messages, pro gay marriage, etc. But since most everyone around me attends church (and I'm married to a believer) I don't openly slam religion. I like being married and having friends. And I try not to be an obnoxious atheist just like I expect from my christian friends that tend to only be preachy on Sundays.

I come here or on a local atheist group if I want to get snarky and pick on god. lol. Or I do it sneakily. Like today, I read an article about FFRF sending a letter to a school, I pulled a good quote from it about the 'constitution is to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority'. my christian friends loved it, they had no clue it was spoken against them. made me giggle all day long.

guns Thumbsup I want to go shooting with yakherder and Chas one day.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post