Tact on social media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 08:25 PM
RE: Tact on social media
I'll post something pro gay marriage on very rare occasion. Other than that, nada. I went on a rant one time after a baptist youth group posted a hitler quote on a billboard, got an angry phone call from my mom, deleted the post, and joined TTA shortly thereafter.

I think I have some old pics (like 8 years ago) on there from skeet shooting. Never thought anything of it in terms of it making a political statement, just sharing pics of some family bonding. I may have untagged myself - one of the pics was unflattering with my fleece and someone had the audacity to ask if I was pregnant Dodgy

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
18-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Tact on social media
The closest I've come was when I pressed Like on a post on an atheist page. A guy I know made some sort of derogatory comment about atheists. I sent him a private message saying it was uncalled for, and he was surprised to know I'm atheist.

For a few weeks, he'd post little inspirational images on my timeline, which I'd usually comment. For instance, there was an edited image of hands opening the clouds, so I linked him to the guy's page where he admitted it was fake. He even posted things on other friends' accounts, but they'd usually say "I'm not that religious."

Other than that, I don't talk about it. I have once in public, but that was a local pagan gathering I was dragged to.
18-03-2015, 11:34 PM
I try to be tactful, but i also don't hide what ib think just because it might make someone uncomfortable.

Though to be honest with you, I'm about done with being tactful.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
19-03-2015, 02:23 AM
On my own pages I usually avoid the subject as much as I can. I do like to however go onto the Weather Channels facebook page because whenever they report an earthquake or strange happening you can usually find a lot of people shouting God and End of The World and its just fun to engage and debate them.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
19-03-2015, 03:41 AM
Now that I think about it I suppose I'll jump into a Centre for Inquiry conversation every once in a while, but I doubt it even shows up in most of my friends' feeds, religious or not, unless they're specifically looking at my profile. And although I egotistically like to believe people are constantly browsing my profile and marveling at how awesome I am, in reality it's probably only been viewed by like 4 people Tongue

'Murican Canadian
19-03-2015, 03:49 AM
If someone posts something overly religious on fb or something, I'll comment on it just to be the only one who didn't blindly type'amen'to whatever the hell it said. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
19-03-2015, 05:24 AM
(19-03-2015 03:49 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'll comment on it just to be the only one who didn't blindly type'amen'to whatever the hell it said. Tongue

Never got all that 'amen' business, or 'praying' ~ I don't imagine most of them were anyway.

I never hide my position on homosexuality there though. If any of my gay friends post anything interesting I'll comment. Never had any comeback from that though hopefully most people on my friend's list are a bit more accepting of it. That or they keep their opinions to themselves ~ can I get a 'gay men'?

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
[+] 3 users Like Nieko Sx's post
22-03-2015, 07:16 AM
What is published on social media goes public even if posted to Friends because there's always someone who will blab. Best to keep in mind that if you wouldn't publish it in a well read newspaper, don't put it on social media. It can come back to bite you. And there is a written record of what you have posted. When telling someone face to face, there's no proof of what was said and it always boils down to "he said she said".
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
24-03-2015, 04:02 PM
As I once heard about telephones; never say anything over the phone that you wouldn't be prepared to shout across a crowded room. Guess that applies to the social media too and yes Takelababy I agree that stuff can come back to bite.

Sheesh people and their tetchy feelings *sigh* ~ I suppose the more prolific offenders can always be hidden or deleted.

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -