Tagging other users within posts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Thumbs Up Tagging other users within posts
Another forum I am a member of has a facility to 'tag' other members within your posts, which then sends an alert to that poster directing them to the post in question, by typing '@LostLegend' kinda like Twitter.

I think this could be helpful here, for example if there is a thread discussing historical accounts of chrisitanity, you may want to direct the post or thread to someone who has better knowledge in this field. EG: @goodwithoutgod Big Grin

This would then send an alert or auto-PM to that users account with a link to he post in question.

Not sure if this is possible on this boards software & apologies if this has already been suggested, but thought it was worth throwing this out there. Wink

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LostLegend's post
06-06-2015, 06:30 AM
RE: Tagging other users within posts
no
06-06-2015, 08:00 PM
I love this idea. The only time it would go wrong is when a troll or vindictive individual hyper tagged someone. Ha ha. The inbox would light up like a christmas tree.
06-06-2015, 08:02 PM
I say do it. I think this is great. (And would never affect me) lol
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
06-06-2015, 08:30 PM
@DeepThought

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
07-06-2015, 01:13 AM
But my inbox is already nearly full. I have to delete most of my new messages as it is. Sad

Maybe some other way so it doesn't take up my space.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
07-06-2015, 01:45 AM
I used to be on a forum like that (still am actually but I haven't got round to deleting my account).

It's a useful feature but it does get over-used as people start putting an @ sign in front of names if they mention them even if they don't necessarily want to grab their attention.

But then on the other hand, we don't really need to mention people's user names that much here unless we are referring to their expertise in particular matters in which case it's a good way of getting other people to weigh in on the debate.
07-06-2015, 05:15 AM
I have wished we had this feature at times... but I can see how abuse would be annoying.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-06-2015, 02:04 PM
PHP is a very versatile language, It can be done, MyBB especially as a very good plugin development system that could allow for something like that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
07-06-2015, 02:07 PM
(07-06-2015 01:13 AM)Nurse Wrote:  But my inbox is already nearly full. I have to delete most of my new messages as it is. Sad

Maybe some other way so it doesn't take up my space.

My message space is starting to burst at the seams too. I've heard there's an option to download and save what you've got as a file on your computer to free up room. Going to have to try that soon.