Take that Misogyny! Reprise - Saudi Driving Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2017, 11:21 AM
RE: Take that Misogyny! Reprise - Saudi Driving Law
(27-09-2017 10:57 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Finding imaginative new ways to ignore your religion = Progress

Good job!

Technically there isn't anything in the Qu'ran or Hadith that say "women can't drive cars" so if anything, ending the policy would actually con getting closer to their religion given that the Qu'ran is supposed to hold all the information one will ever need and all the rules that should be followed; no more and no less.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
27-09-2017, 05:18 PM
(27-09-2017 11:21 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 10:57 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Finding imaginative new ways to ignore your religion = Progress

Good job!

Technically there isn't anything in the Qu'ran or Hadith that say "women can't drive cars" so if anything, ending the policy would actually con getting closer to their religion given that the Qu'ran is supposed to hold all the information one will ever need and all the rules that should be followed; no more and no less.

That's true, yes. I was meaning it more in the sense of the attitudes towards women. This is a step towards equality and respect for women, both of which go against the Quran.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Maybe they mean the woman can drive but will still have to be accompanied by a husband or male family member? What good is that, the dude is going to want to do the driving.

28-09-2017, 12:20 AM
(27-09-2017 11:06 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 05:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  The Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has issued a decree directing his government to begin preparing to issue women's drivers licences from June, 2018, and to investigate exactly how to make that happen.

The King has said that the goal of allowing females to drive must "apply and adhere to the necessary Sharia standards" without providing qualification on the meaning.

So there we have it; the last country on Earth that explicitly restricts women from the pleasure of traffic jams might let them drive halfway through the next year assuming they 'find a way to implement it' in keeping with Sharia "laws".

Now if they could stop literally beheading people in town squares they might be getting somewhere.

Does that mean the king is going to catapult his country into the early 20th century? That would be awesome. Bowing Clap

As far as I understand it, it's not the current King that would be doing the catapulting. The current heir though, Prince Whatever-the-fuck-his-name-is, is a rather progressive dude and has large plans for Saudi Arabia to be 'catapulted' into the 21st century. Recently because of the old age of the current King the Prince has had a lot more say in things and I'd say it was him who beneath the surface was the one to push for this.

So, I'd say the best thing for Saudi Arabia at this point is for the current King to drop dead and let his son take over. We might see women get a lot more rights which in turn may have a flow-on effect to surrounding Muslim countries.
If the Prince delivers on what I've heard of him I think he could be a very great man for the Islamic/Middle Eastern world.