Take up thy cross and follow me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Take up thy cross and follow me
Of all the Bible verses to take literally... I saw a man carrying a cross and a camelback down the sidewalk today (I kinda wanted to bring him some vinegar for his camelback). I saw the same thing a few years ago on the interstate. And there is frequently a dude in the French Quarter doing the same thing.

"Help me to understand. " I mean, WTF do these guys think they're accomplishing? I try to do little things to make the world around me a better place. Many times people return the favor if they have an opportunity. I don't see any benefit to walking down the street with some 2x4s strapped to my back, other than some good cardio and a little bit of strength training.

If Christians want to make a sacrifice of their time and efforts, there are plenty of lonely people in nursing homes that would love to be read to, or build houses for habitat for humanity, mow a yard for a single working mom or an elderly person, or volunteer at a homeless shelter... For a millisecond I considered stopping and saying something to that effect, but then my own logic kicked in and I kept on driving. I seriously doubt logic or reason would make much sense to someone so deluded.
Cause you can't earn your way to heaven....

A few weeks ago my uncle was talking about his missionary friend that totes a cross down bourbon street - probably the same guy I see each time I stroll down Bourbon for a Hand Grenade (tastes kinda like Mountain Dew and PGA). Quite annoying, I think I prefer drunk frat boys yelling SHOW ME YOUR TITS to REPENT OR EXPERIENCE HELLFIRE DAMNATION. Total buzzkill.

Uncle: "He's [cross toting crazy missionary] a better man the me, I just don't think I could go down there and get cursed at and spit upon for the glory of god. Sometimes people even throw things at him. He does such righteous work for the kingdom."
My response: "I don't know how effective it is to talk to drunk people about faith. I hardly think they'd be receptive to the message of God in that state. Besides, New Orleans is a fairly religious town, they have even more religious holidays than we do. Or do you not consider Catholics Christians?" He mentioned that the guy was going to leave for Zambia soon since the church raised enough $$ to help him, and then changed the subject.

Keep in mind I'm a closeted atheist, and my Christian husband is FROM NOLA. I'm trying to plant little seeds of logic in my family members. At one point, my uncle mentioned that I should raise my son to be a free thinker... Facepalm I don't think he understands the terminology.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
30-07-2014, 09:09 PM
RE: Take up thy cross and follow me
[quote='Nurse' pid='614876' dateline='1406775886']
"Help me to understand. " I mean, WTF do these guys think they're accomplishing? "

Attention seeking behavior.
End of story.

You should hand him a copy of Matthew 6:6
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Its mid winter here in Oz and a guy has been seen getting around bare foot and topless.

Don't know if there are any religious connotations?
Perhaps he thinks he is the rugged John the baptist in search of locusts and wild honey.

I agree re Christians being better placed doing some charitable work......some do though!Wink
01-08-2014, 07:50 AM
my guess is that Jesus chose to carry the cross and be crucified so that he could get attention and sympathy.

I have heard things like , "God is trying to get your attention." Well shit! he must not be trying very hard. How difficult is it to simply open up your mouth and say something intelligible?

This dude you speak of sounds like an attention whore. He should be reminded that Jesus told people to not pray on street corners or make their deeds visible to others or try to get attention.