Taken out of context

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Taken out of context
I came across a youtube video entitled "10 Shocking Bible Verses You Won't Believe" which has a bunch of panties-in-a-twist-Christians posting that the verses are taken out of context. It doesn't matter that this storybook god has killed millions, according to these mindless Christians the verses are taken out of context which shows why god does the killings and justifies mass murder. This just blows.

Funny how Christians take the Theory of EVolution and omit, twist and completely lie about it's facts but don't want their sacred book messed with.

The guy who did the video is being super nice to these assholes. I don't know how he does it. I gave the video a thumbs up in support of his efforts.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-03-2015, 09:38 AM
RE: Taken out of context
"Out of context!" has become such a shrill, thoughtless defense, brayed at the first possible opportunity, that it's easy to identify as the security blanket that it is, rather than a legitimate contention. You see, very rarely does the theist provide the context, most likely because they don't know what it is, making the entire thing a pointless exercise in safeguarding something the theist takes for granted.

The optimal challenge is to simply ask what kind of context makes all the genocide and slavery and whatnot okay. Because that's certainly not present in the bible.
[+] 1 user Likes Esquilax's post
30-03-2015, 10:18 AM
3:45 if god doesn't exist then who is responsible for life and death? Parents! Oh, it's not their responsibility? Then why do you care about death at all?
30-03-2015, 10:31 AM
What does "responsible for life and death" even mean?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
30-03-2015, 10:37 AM
(30-03-2015 10:18 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  3:45 if god doesn't exist then who is responsible for life and death? Parents! Oh, it's not their responsibility? Then why do you care about death at all?

Fucking hell, are you still on this kick?

It's really simple: based on everything we know, death is an inevitable part of life, something we can't avoid, but can only accept as natural, and move on. Our lives can be better than the alternative, even if they eventually end.

But that's not what the bible teaches: the bible teaches that there's a being for whom death is optional, but yet he chooses to inflict it on everyone as a conscious choice. That is immoral, and something worth caring about. That entirely changes the outlook on death we should have, and you're equivocating if you pretend that the two positions are the same position.
[+] 1 user Likes Esquilax's post
30-03-2015, 10:46 AM
(30-03-2015 10:37 AM)Esquilax Wrote:  But that's not what the bible teaches: the bible teaches that there's a being for whom death is optional, but yet he chooses to inflict it on everyone as a conscious choice. That is immoral, and something worth caring about. That entirely changes the outlook on death we should have, and you're equivocating if you pretend that the two positions are the same position.
God exists. God made people mortal. God is evil.
God doesn't exist. Parents made their children mortal. Parents are good?
30-03-2015, 10:51 AM
(30-03-2015 10:46 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  God exists. God made people mortal. God is evil.
God doesn't exist. Parents made their children mortal. Parents are good?

Yep, that's the equivocation. Rolleyes

Here, since you're either too blinkered or too dishonest to represent it right:

God exists. God made people mortal. God didn't have to make people die, or suffer, or sicken, but he did as a conscious choice that offers no corresponding benefit to anyone. God is evil.

God doesn't exist. Parents made their children. Those children are unavoidably mortal due to a fact about reality, that their parents have no say or control over. Despite this, parents make their children's lives happy and fulfilling, rendering those lives better than non existence. Parents are good.
[+] 8 users Like Esquilax's post
30-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Ahem.

"It's a metaphor. Duh"

Now that that's out of the way, what *other* twisted excuses will we hear?

(btw, hi Esq, Norm from AF here)
[+] 3 users Like Maratiga's post
30-03-2015, 11:58 AM
See this is the part that makes me most of the time avoid trying to wade through verses. I like to simply attack the magic and fantastic claims. "You are not interpreting it right" is a dodge every religion uses. The other part is that our well intended friends on the left don't understand that the right, the ones who would justify bad laws and oppression and violence, are using the exact same books they do. It is literally our species failure to understand that our species morality is in us, not those books.

But even if we do this and get into "interpretation" it would negate the idea of an all powerful god. He poofs the universe into existence, but needs mere humans and thousands of years to complete these books and on top of that ends up with many different versions no one can agree on.

I would not hire this being to run a bicycle factory. The bikes would end up with squid for spokes and the workers would murder each other arguing over the assembly manuals.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 12:14 PM
(30-03-2015 09:26 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I came across a youtube video entitled "10 Shocking Bible Verses You Won't Believe" which has a bunch of panties-in-a-twist-Christians posting that the verses are taken out of context. It doesn't matter that this storybook god has killed millions, according to these mindless Christians the verses are taken out of context which shows why god does the killings and justifies mass murder. This just blows.

Funny how Christians take the Theory of EVolution and omit, twist and completely lie about it's facts but don't want their sacred book messed with.

The guy who did the video is being super nice to these assholes. I don't know how he does it. I gave the video a thumbs up in support of his efforts.

There is a giant difference between reason and rationalization. I've never met a theist who knows what the difference is.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick