Taken out of context

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 12:25 PM
RE: Taken out of context
(30-03-2015 11:29 AM)Maratiga Wrote:  Ahem.

"It's a metaphor. Duh"

Now that that's out of the way, what *other* twisted excuses will we hear?

(btw, hi Esq, Norm from AF here)

It's a metaphor when they want it to be and when it's not a metaphor it's real. This all depends on which denomination one belongs to as to whether it's a metaphor or not..... so lots of wiggle room.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2015, 02:15 PM
You'd think God would be able to take the time and effort (which, in his case, would be none) to make sure people don't take his sacred book and twist it for their own gain, especially when there are immortal souls at stake.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
30-03-2015, 02:51 PM
When they cop out to metaphor I always want to ask them about semaphore.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 04:25 PM
When confronted by the Context Nazis I always give them something like this:

Quote:1 Samuel 15:3King James Version (KJV)

3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

I then invite them to put that into whatever fucking context they like and explain to me how good their fucking god is.

Few ever took up the challenge.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
30-03-2015, 06:28 PM
"Happy shall he be, that takes and dashes your little ones against the stones."

In what context is this acceptable? What is the context that makes this acceptable. I dare a Christian to find one.

Fucking sickos.
30-03-2015, 06:34 PM
(30-03-2015 06:28 PM)natachan Wrote:  "Happy shall he be, that takes and dashes your little ones against the stones."

In what context is this acceptable? What is the context that makes this acceptable. I dare a Christian to find one.

Fucking sickos.

See, turns out "little ones" was actually referring to coconuts this whole time.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
30-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Not according to the NIV, which explicitly says "infants". As does the Aramaic version.

In fact, here's the entire verse:

Happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. That takes the infants from their mothers' breasts, or out of their arms, and dashes out their brains against a rock

If anyone can think this is acceptable in any situation then they are morally bankrupt.
30-03-2015, 07:10 PM
(30-03-2015 06:28 PM)natachan Wrote:  "Happy shall he be, that takes and dashes your little ones against the stones."

Fucking sickos.

Sad but Christians find a way to make it work. They do a fancy dance step around it saying it's not really telling someone to happily dash little ones against rocks but it's a metaphor for Babylon and Israel. Babylon being the one to dash against rocks. Doesn't matter. It's a violent solution to something that should be resolved peacefully by a "loving" god.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-03-2015, 07:18 AM
(30-03-2015 09:38 AM)Esquilax Wrote:  "Out of context!" has become such a shrill, thoughtless defense...

Yup.

(30-03-2015 09:38 AM)Esquilax Wrote:  The optimal challenge is to simply ask what kind of context makes all the genocide and slavery and whatnot okay. Because that's certainly not present in the bible.

That reminds me of a rather good Atheist Pig comic. He basically does exactly what you're saying.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post