Taking Back the "Glory"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Taking Back the "Glory"
Hey all, I am certain I'm not the only one who has experienced this, but I have to rage about it for a minute if you will forgive me.

I am 29 years old and was diagnosed with type-2 Diabetes in October. This isn't a terribly large surprise, I've been obese since I was ten, and I haven't been the most active or healthy person. Since my diagnosis, I have somehow managed to discover a motivation (which I hope continues) to really turn my life around in a meaningful, healthy way. I went from about 335lbs to 289.9lbs this morning, and I'm currently training to run a 5K in April. I've got a great physical training expert helping me, and things are just crazy good. My sugars are under control and I have more energy than my three-year-old.

Then comes Christianity to spoil my buzz. You see, evidently this is all God's doing. Clearly, God noticed my lack of motivation, and in order to get me off of my ass he decided that a very serious chronic life-long illness which kills millions and increases risk factors for pretty much every nasty non-infectious disease known to man. This means a few things:
  1. I should be thankful for my Diabetes, and praise Jesus for my insulin resistence
  2. I deserved my Diabetes
  3. My medical condition is not actually a result of my former unhealthy lifestyle
  4. I owe all the "glory" for my current progress and newfound energy and overall spunk to God
  5. I shouldn't feel proud about the progress I've made, instead I should be on my knees praising God for giving me Diabetes and motivating me to get healthier

What the fuck?

Does anybody else have this? How do you deal with it? I simply maintain the assertion that I am responsible (with some help from the food-industrial complex) for my diabetes, and that I am responsible (and proud of) my progress. I reject the participation of any magical beings for my progress, and am offended that folks would suggest I owe any credit to anything supernatural. God hasn't been sweating, I have. God hasn't been waking up with stiff muscles, I have. God hasn't been training a fat man's body to eat less and live with it, I have.

As far as I am concerned, if my body is the Temple of God, God owes me some goddamned maintenance fees.

~ themanchicken
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like themanchicken's post
09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
RE: Taking Back the "Glory"
(09-12-2011 01:26 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  As far as I am concerned, if my body is the Temple of God, God owes me some goddamned maintenance fees.

Or at least some back rent.
You're not alone in this. You're about to find out a lot of people go through this.

My brother recently said "thank god" about something I was going through. I told him I'd rather thank my doctor, therapist, and pharmaceutical companies. Without pausing, he said, "Yeah, actually...me too!"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I can handle the off-the-cuff "thank god," sometimes it seems more like an idiomatic expression than a religious statement, but I think it is important to make sure that people get the credit for their own hard work rather than giving it to "Jesus."

~ themanchicken
[+] 2 users Like themanchicken's post
09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Excellent post, and good on ya for allowing yourself to be motivated enough to do something about it. You should be proud of your progress. Keep it up!

And no, you're not the only one who sees this sort of thing.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Ever notice how little imagination God seems to have? When he wants to teach somebody a lesson, he gives them whatever disease is epidemic, or on the rise, in the victim's country. No made-to-measure lessons? You'd almost think he was treating us like a generic, mass product.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
09-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Well...

Right after I heard the news about my parents murder I really thought. "Oh no... God does exist and he is punishing me"

Then I noticed The villagers, My parents neighbours, A local farmer my dad used to help, An pious elderly couple who already lost their son to suicide and where befriended with my parents, my two nieces (15 and 16) and my nice on my sisters side (who already lost her mother at age of 5), The local "Christian Rural Womanhood" ,... ,...
Where severely punished too...

The elderly couple said to me: "If God wanted to call them, Couldn’t He at least do it serene? Why this unexplainable random act of unnecessary violence?

Hey God... what happened... ran out of carbon monoxide? Angry

It’s in humans nature to explain the world in human sentiments like anger, or revenge or love...

How unimaginative...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
(09-12-2011 02:44 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  I can handle the off-the-cuff "thank god," sometimes it seems more like an idiomatic expression than a religious statement, but I think it is important to make sure that people get the credit for their own hard work rather than giving it to "Jesus."

The off-the-cuff version is a form of meme. I say things like "dammit Gwynnie!" through willful conceptual engineering.

The other version is willful ignorance. Don't let it get you down. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I totally agree! Glory be to you and your Drs, all your hard work is starting to pay off and will continue to improve your condition. <applause>

I suffer from fibromyalgia - hourly pain to various degrees - and my religious family and friends had the audacity to say i should "give up my pain to Jesus" use it as my memory of his sacrifice as well as handing over to him any i can't manage.

Helllo?! this has never worked - wishing away the pain doesn't work neither does praying it away.

I will take herbs, pharmaceuticals, massages, heating pads, etc and work hard at managing my illness. and some day hopefully someone will find a cure. but i know for sure that it will not be in the form of a prayer!
09-12-2011, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 07:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-12-2011 01:26 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  Hey all, I am certain I'm not the only one who has experienced this, but I have to rage about it for a minute if you will forgive me.

I am 29 years old and was diagnosed with type-2 Diabetes in October. This isn't a terribly large surprise, I've been obese since I was ten, and I haven't been the most active or healthy person. Since my diagnosis, I have somehow managed to discover a motivation (which I hope continues) to really turn my life around in a meaningful, healthy way. I went from about 335lbs to 289.9lbs this morning, and I'm currently training to run a 5K in April.

I ain't interested in helping you deal with the religious bullshit, but I am interested in helping you with the diabetes.

My story is pretty much like yours except the diagnosis wasn't made until I was 45 yo (4 years ago) and 280 lbs at 5'10". I responded the same way you did, "What the fuck I'm gonna die if I don't do something." Lost 80 lbs over 9 months with diet and exercise. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) the metformin coupled with me being a hyper-responder to statins resulted in me becoming hypogonadal. (Metformin itself reduces testosterone in a third of the population and cholesterol is the precursor to all the sex hormones, not enough cholesterol means not enough testosterone.) Get your testosterone checked. If it's low or even borderline low ask your Doc about TRT. Testosterone builds muscle and muscle sucks up sugars. There are some enlightened Docs out there who think that TRT should be a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetic men.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-12-2011, 07:51 PM
(09-12-2011 03:56 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Well...

Right after I heard the news about my parents murder I really thought. "Oh no... God does exist and he is punishing me"

Then I noticed The villagers, My parents neighbours, A local farmer my dad used to help, An pious elderly couple who already lost their son to suicide and where befriended with my parents, my two nieces (15 and 16) and my nice on my sisters side (who already lost her mother at age of 5), The local "Christian Rural Womanhood" ,... ,...
Where severely punished too...

The elderly couple said to me: "If God wanted to call them, Couldn’t He at least do it serene? Why this unexplainable random act of unnecessary violence?

Hey God... what happened... ran out of carbon monoxide? Angry

It’s in humans nature to explain the world in human sentiments like anger, or revenge or love...

How unimaginative...

Well said, Brotha. Just felt like hitting the "like" button wasn't enough to show my appreciation of the depth of emotion that you're feeling right now. Right here in the moment you, and your TTA Family have the opportunity to grieve without the woo woo of religion and the shallow platitudes. If you had posted your family's tragedy on Facebook you'd be getting all sorts of, "I'll be praying for you." And then you'd just get pissed off more because no only do you have to grieve your horrendous loss, but you also have to either defend your beliefs or at the least just be annoyed with someone. When you told us your story, I noticed the lack of what wasn't in your TTA Family's responses: There were no meaningless pious platitudes, or even new-agey sayings like, "I'll send positive energy your way." What you have here, my friend, is genuine support from genuine folks...even if we don't know each other irl, there is a bit of this that does draw us from being the keyboard and into your real life. Thank you for what you've shared on here, and what therefore has been learned by me, and I'm sure others.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post