Taking a Break--so to speak

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
06-01-2012, 04:59 PM
RE: Taking a Break--so to speak
(06-01-2012 10:02 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  @Masterrottweiler
hypocrisy*

Ohh, thanks, I derped on that one. Big Grin

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 05:00 PM
A little derp is always excusable, unlike the op for this thread where a lot of derp is standard.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Egor,

I went to your blog and it made me sad. It's also tragically beautiful and kind of profound.

Beautiful & profound because clearly our wonderful forum is self correcting and displaying the wisdom of crowds. Ironic, considering I'd thought both theories a little unprovable and odd.

I digress, back to your blog...Unfortunately I got stuck at the first line and closed my browser and had a think.

Your opening line is you hate atheists. Which means you HATE me.

It's odd, because as an atheist I don't really hate anyone. As a student of history, the people worth hating have been dead for some time.

I've never been victim of hate before, I have found the experience of being hated both refreshing and sickening at the same time.

Like the bottom of a whiskey bottle.

I had a bottle of 25 year old Macallan in the cupboard, and my best man and I drunk most of it the night before my wedding some 6 years ago, but a double measure remained in the bottle, after the wedding, and sat forgotten but not enitrely obsolete at the back of the cupboard.

I love my wife, she's beautiful and profound and witty, and just, you know Igor...

better?

You know, she's better than me, and probably you too Igor...well, she doesn't hate anyone, so she's definitely better than you.

The reason I bring up the whiskey is because me and Mike drank most it and it was marvelous. Lot's of good malt whiskey is very delightful, especially in good company. And I have wonderful, tense memories of the night before my wedding.

Back to the double measure left in the bottle six years later.

After 6 years of marriage, the wee dram of Macallan sat in my cupboard and one night when my wife was away, I decided to drink it.

Alone, with a double measure of 25 + 6 years old whiskey in the same cut glass whiskey tumbler that Mike and I had used 6 years ago.

You know what it tasted of?

Bitterness.

FYI - Publishing is a rocky road. Based on your "work" to date, I would strongly reccomend reading this and this You need to find grace, beauty and the sense of profound in your writing.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 5 users Like Shannow's post
06-01-2012, 07:18 PM
(06-01-2012 07:09 PM)Shannow Wrote:  Alone, with a double measure of 25 + 6 years old whiskey in the same cut glass whiskey tumbler that Mike and I had used 6 years ago.

Bitterness.

This made me want to cry. Sad

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
(06-01-2012 07:09 PM)Shannow Wrote:  Back to the double measure left in the bottle six years later.

After 6 years of marriage, the wee dram of Macallan sat in my cupboard and one night when my wife was away, I decided to drink it.

Alone, with a double measure of 25 + 6 years old whiskey in the same cut glass whiskey tumbler that Mike and I had used 6 years ago.

Bitterness.

What did I miss? I don't understand why it tasted of bitterness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have to give the OP credit for not cutting and pasting his farewells (guess he's not a Kopiest?)

It appears he was slightly less hated on the Happy Atheist Forum Egor's other farewell.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
(06-01-2012 07:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have to give the OP credit for not cutting and pasting his farewells (guess he's not a Kopiest?)

It appears he was slightly less hated on the Happy Atheist Forum Egor's other farewell.

I don't hate him; I pity him.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-01-2012, 08:25 PM
(06-01-2012 07:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't hate him; I pity him.

Yet another counterproductive instinct to let loose of.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:Chas Wrote:

Chas, it's really difficult to convey sincerity in a little white text box, but I find it kind of wonderful that you don't get my clumsy parable, it's probably my fault.

But in my head it means that me and you are clinking glasses before my wedding. We hate nobody, delight in everybody, and are stepping forth on a wonderful adventure together. This kind of optimism & collaboration leads to wonderful things. Like this and this and this and this and this.

Igor on the other hand is at the other of the bottle, trying to recreate the experience that initially ignited his hatred.

He hates us, and is swilling the dregs of the bottle long after me and you are off down the yellow brick road of future possibilities . History unfortunately shows us that this kind of bitterness leads to this and this and this and this.

Given that we're still trying to educate Igor, in my last post we looked at wonderful authors, this time, let's look at authors closer to home, like: Mark Fulton (professorial) or Ghost (passionate) or Lilith Pride (perfect) or Buddy Christ (profound) on this forum if a master-class in how to compose narrative in far more succinct ways than I can is required.

S

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
(06-01-2012 09:51 PM)Shannow Wrote:  
Quote:Chas Wrote:

Chas, it's really difficult to convey sincerity in a little white text box, but I find it kind of wonderful that you don't get my clumsy parable, it's probably my fault.

But in my head it means that me and you are clinking glasses before my wedding. We hate nobody, delight in everybody, and are stepping forth on a wonderful adventure together. This kind of optimism & collaboration leads to wonderful things. Like this and this and this and this and this.

Igor on the other hand is at the other of the bottle, trying to recreate the experience that initially ignited his hatred.

He hates us, and is swilling the dregs of the bottle long after me and you are off down the yellow brick road of future possibilities . History unfortunately shows us that this kind of bitterness leads to this and this and this and this.

Given that we're still trying to educate Igor, in my last post we looked at wonderful authors, this time, let's look at authors closer to home, like: Mark Fulton (professorial) or Ghost (passionate) or Lilith Pride (perfect) or Buddy Christ (profound) on this forum if a master-class in how to compose narrative in far more succinct ways than I can is required.

S

Thanks.