Taking the Fun Out of Fundamentalism ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2010, 12:00 AM

Taking the Fun Out of Fundamentalism ...
Here's what I got from a fundie facebook friend after mentioning evolution in a status update:

"I often wonder, do you even realize how offensive your comments can be? Or do you get some kind of satisfaction out of knowing that your comments have about the same kind of effect as a gastrointestinal bug in a glass of cool, refreshing water? Not pleasant. Especially when we might start our day with a quick browse of FB. This comment just festers all day. Thanks."

Apparently the scientific theory of evolution is pretty darn offensive. It left her stewing in her juices all afternoon just by its mere mention!

Don't you love how open, warm, and tolerant christians are? How loving, non-judgmental, and open-minded they can be? Just gives ya warm fuzzies, doesn't it? Why wouldn't we all want to be just like this?
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2010, 12:10 AM
RE: Taking the Fun Out of Fundamentalism ...
You are just so nasty. You got a shot in before she could plug her ears and sing, "La, la, la ,la." Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2010, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2010 07:35 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
I actually made a character facebook account where I play a dolphin called Das who works for a dolphin research center near honolulu and uses a special interface to use the internet. I use her to rip apart things like Religion and pro-slavery arguments while making her appear to be asking completely innocent questions.

I've got a similar message about how offensive things I say are (most of them came when I asked on a photo "This god you worship... Why doesn't he come and help you sometimes?" xD)

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
01-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Athnostic, I'll bet your fundie friend often posts things like "Jesus is my Saviour! If you are a true believer post this as your status!" or "God answers my prayers, whether or not I like the answer". Things like this I find mildly offensive, as probably do others on this forum. However, I don't go off on the person posting it saying how it offended me etc. because I am more tolerant than that and there are a lot of other non-religious things that people post that I find offensive also, I just find it a waste of energy to post something about it every time it happens. You should tell your fundie friend how you feel everytime they post something religious.
01-10-2010, 07:56 AM

(01-10-2010 07:33 AM)catdance62 Wrote:  Athnostic, I'll bet your fundie friend often posts things like "Jesus is my Saviour! If you are a true believer post this as your status!" or "God answers my prayers, whether or not I like the answer". Things like this I find mildly offensive, as probably do others on this forum. However, I don't go off on the person posting it saying how it offended me etc. because I am more tolerant than that and there are a lot of other non-religious things that people post that I find offensive also, I just find it a waste of energy to post something about it every time it happens. You should tell your fundie friend how you feel everytime they post something religious.

This is a good point. If I allowed it to happen, I easily could be offended by all the religious crapola my friends post. We could waste a lot of energy arguing back and forth to no purpose, because no one's mind would be changed. I say, live and let live.

Only once in a while do I respond to such things, and normally it's not in a confrontational way. But if I had a theist friend who responded in the way yours did, I would definitely follow catdance's advice and tell this friend how I feel about his/her religious posts!
01-10-2010, 09:09 AM

I pulled a bye bye and unfriended her since seeing my posts makes her so irate. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. Angel
01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
(01-10-2010 09:09 AM)athnostic Wrote:  I pulled a bye bye and unfriended her since seeing my posts makes her so irate. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. Angel

That's what I would have done.
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Sometimes I just "Hide" people. That way I don't piss them off (that's best when one has a business in a relatively small city)), but I don't have to see their drivel.
01-10-2010, 08:47 PM

(01-10-2010 02:05 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(01-10-2010 09:09 AM)athnostic Wrote:  I pulled a bye bye and unfriended her since seeing my posts makes her so irate. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. Angel

That's what I would have done.

I would have at least thrown the "You know, I don't bitch about your bible-thumping statuses.. I thought you'd have the courtesy to do the same" at them.
01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I think it's ironic that when we're offended by Bible-thumping statuses they call it "conviction" because "the spirit is lurking in the back of your mind", while when they get the exact same offended reaction, it's because we're being offensive. Tongue Especially since she admitted it sits on her mind the whole day? That sounds like the spirit of Darwin at work! LOL

For them, it's like playing "heads I win, tails you lose". Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user