Tales from the Swamp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2016, 06:28 PM
RE: Tales from the Swamp
You're a pretty good shot, to hit a moving poison rope. One of my neighbors emptied her husband's revolver at a rattlesnake, and it just crawled away. There would have been less drama to just stay in the house when it was in the back yard. Our houses were on a slab, so it would not have been able to get under her house.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Please shoot all the snakes. Then get started on the spiders. And anything that has too many (more than four) legs.

I used to hate it when the water moccasins sunned themselves on our driveway.
11-12-2016, 09:22 PM
(11-12-2016 06:35 PM)julep Wrote:  Please shoot all the snakes. Then get started on the spiders. And anything that has too many (more than four) legs.

I used to hate it when the water moccasins sunned themselves on our driveway.

We have had a bunch of lizards running around the house this year. I can personally identify four, so there is probably more. I haven't heard a cricket chirping in the garage in months. Whenever I see those spindly spiders (long-bodied cellar spiders, AKA "daddy-long-legs") I leave them be, since while they are more poisonous than black widows, their fangs can't penetrate one's skin, and they eat all the bugs before the black widows can move in.
11-12-2016, 10:07 PM
(11-12-2016 09:22 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We have had a bunch of lizards running around the house this year. I can personally identify four, so there is probably more. I haven't heard a cricket chirping in the garage in months. Whenever I see those spindly spiders (long-bodied cellar spiders, AKA "daddy-long-legs") I leave them be, since while they are more poisonous than black widows, their fangs can't penetrate one's skin, and they eat all the bugs before the black widows can move in.

Yeah, brown recluse spiders are pretty common in our area, and wolf spiders actively hunt those bastards. As scary as they look, I like seeing the wolf spiders and let them be when I find them. I think of them as my little furry brown recluse killing buddies.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
12-12-2016, 12:03 AM
(11-12-2016 10:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(11-12-2016 09:22 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We have had a bunch of lizards running around the house this year. I can personally identify four, so there is probably more. I haven't heard a cricket chirping in the garage in months. Whenever I see those spindly spiders (long-bodied cellar spiders, AKA "daddy-long-legs") I leave them be, since while they are more poisonous than black widows, their fangs can't penetrate one's skin, and they eat all the bugs before the black widows can move in.

Yeah, brown recluse spiders are pretty common in our area, and wolf spiders actively hunt those bastards. As scary as they look, I like seeing the wolf spiders and let them be when I find them. I think of them as my little furry brown recluse killing buddies.

Right on! I've been seeing brown widows around here, as of last summer. Dammit, biology, leave that evolution alone! Dodgy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_geometricus

OK, back to snakes. <.< >.>
12-12-2016, 08:52 AM
I smoked an ant as it walked across my desk today.
With my bare hands. Top that.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
12-12-2016, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 04:38 PM by Full Circle.)
(12-12-2016 08:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I smoked an ant as it walked across my desk today.
With my bare hands. Top that.

You da bomb!

But wouldn’t you rather smoke a roach?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-12-2016, 04:13 PM
I coddle wolf spiders and king snakes.

Those are what you want around/in your house. Oh and bats.

They are nature's exterminators.

[Image: ter-insects-wolf-spider-article-2]

[Image: Brooks-King-snake.jpg]

[Image: bat_spread.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post