15-03-2016, 05:03 AM
Talk Chess
Einstein

Chess is for clever people
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2016, 05:11 AM
RE: Talk Chess
There is a game company making a game called Quantum Chess. I think the basic premise is you have a chance of actually having moved your piece where you think you did so it works in various possibilities you don't know the results of at the time of your actions.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
15-03-2016, 05:36 AM
(15-03-2016 05:11 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is a game company making a game called Quantum Chess. I think the basic premise is you have a chance of actually having moved your piece where you think you did so it works in various possibilities you don't know the results of at the time of your actions.

Sounds pretty much like the way In play chess at the moment.

I make a move. What comes next is anyone's guess.Big Grin

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 2 users Like god has no twitter account's post
15-03-2016, 06:01 AM
I heard of quantum chess Tongue
15-03-2016, 01:09 PM
I've played on lichess.org (which is an amazing site, btw) but I'm very beginner, and not very good. I've been watching John Bartholomew's videos on YouTube which are highly instructive.

15-03-2016, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2016 10:16 AM by Grasshopper.)
I have never played any online chess, but I play real-life tournament chess fairly regularly. In fact, I'm going to the chess club tonight to play another round in our ongoing club championship. It is a 10-player round robin (everybody plays everybody else). If you rank us by rating, I am #8 out of 10, so it's been an uphill battle. I have lost all 4 games I've played so far (all against higher-rated players). I will take another shot at it tonight.

For those who are familiar with Elo ratings, my US Chess rating is a little over 1500, which is a solid Class C, and would correspond to a FIDE rating of around 1400. This is about average overall. Unfortunately for me, most of the people rated below me don't play very often, so I am usually in the bottom half of the field at tournaments. I do usually have fun, though, even in games that I lose.

The best players in the world have FIDE ratings a bit over 2800. This does not mean they are twice as good as me. They are hundreds of times as good as me. If I played 100 games against the World Champion (Magnus Carlsen), by far the most likely result would be 100 losses. I would be extremely lucky if I even managed to draw a game. The rating scale is not at all linear.
15-03-2016, 02:20 PM
There is a funny video of Paul Rudd playing quantum chess with Stephen Hawking.

http://youtu.be/Hi0BzqV_b44

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
15-03-2016, 02:30 PM
[Image: 201406_1451_hdgga_sm.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Well, I won my game last night. I got to play one of the two people who are lower-rated than I am, and she blundered and dropped a piece before I had a chance to. So I'm on the scoreboard. Woot! Woot!
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
21-03-2016, 05:04 AM
Last week I won a game with a queen sacrifice. I sacrificed one of my two queens, and used the other to checkmate Tongue

I have been described by some professional chess players as 'the future chess world champion', but I wouldn't say that Tongue

I am friends with GM Fabiano Luigi Caruana Tongue

Played him 4 times. Lost all 4 Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Kyx's post