Talk Nerdy To Me ;)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 05:21 AM
RE: Talk Nerdy To Me ;)
(01-02-2017 11:35 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  It is the origin of this meme
[Image: BF1ybti.gif]

You're secretly in love with him, right? Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2017, 08:46 AM
(01-02-2017 11:29 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Here's a video of Arthur Benjamin who is a Mathematician, Mathemagician, and gentleman.

That was so cool Big Grin
02-02-2017, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 05:04 PM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
Here's another short clip of Benjamin discussing mathematical thinking and the Fibonacci numbers

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 3 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
02-02-2017, 05:51 PM
(02-02-2017 04:47 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Here's another short clip of Benjamin discussing mathematical thinking and the Fibonacci numbers

I'll see your fibonacci and raise you 2 eulers.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-02-2017, 06:44 PM
GirlyMan Wrote:I'll see your fibonacci and raise you 2 eulers.

Thank you for posting this, sir. IMO, it is very neat; however, I preferred the second video over the first. With that said, I actually prefer using trig and calculus to understand why the identity works.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
02-02-2017, 08:57 PM
(02-02-2017 06:44 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
GirlyMan Wrote:I'll see your fibonacci and raise you 2 eulers.

Thank you for posting this, sir. IMO, it is very neat; however, I preferred the second video over the first. With that said, I actually prefer using trig and calculus to understand why the identity works.

I understood and appreciated the Taylor series formulation of this when it was taught to me, but I could never grok or inuit it. Still don't really. The full beauty of it is lost on me and that makes me sad.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-02-2017, 09:28 PM
(02-02-2017 04:47 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Here's another short clip of Benjamin discussing mathematical thinking and the Fibonacci numbers

I recall from my junior level math class in probability and statistics (the one that uses calculus) that I was the only student who nodded his head when a calculation came up with Fibonacci's number. Now, I don't remember dick from that class. Gasp I met my wife-to-be that semester, and went from the Dean's List to a 1.5 GPA (for that semester, only!). The other three classes were junior-level Mechanics (physics), Modern Physics and a junior-level applied math class that could be substituted for the second semester of senior-level calculus (taught by a sonofabitch who claimed that, since a math major (which I wasn't) could skate out of both semesters by taking that class, he would teach it all in one semester). Fuck me, working full time, taking 13 units of upper division math and physics (really, 18 units, when one considers that the advanced calculus classes were 4 units each) while romancing my wife-to-be. I still have the wife, but my GPA suffered a pretty big hit that semester. Facepalm
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
02-02-2017, 10:25 PM
(02-02-2017 08:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I understood and appreciated the Taylor series formulation of this when it was taught to me, but I could never grok or inuit it.

Is that like Eskimo Pi? Consider

Quote:Still don't really. The full beauty of it is lost on me and that makes me sad.

There are parts of math that do that to me. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-02-2017, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 02:07 AM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
Girly Man Wrote:I understood and appreciated the Taylor series formulation of this when it was taught to me, but I could never grok or inuit it. Still don't really. The full beauty of it is lost on me and that makes me sad.

In my opinion, based on my exposure to math, there will be that proof that gets away from us intuitively and we have to settle for understanding why it works and appreciating it. However, there just might come a time, usually when we least expect it, when we think of it in a new way that illuminates the beauty that we were once oblivious to. It is truly awesome when this happens, but even if it does not, then the experience is still worthwhile, as it challenges one to reconsider the way he or she thinks, which IMO, fosters creativity and growth. Hence, IMO, this is what makes math awesome. Live long and prosper, sir.

[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
03-02-2017, 08:47 AM
[Image: 33aeb98064c6b203fd926969aadf0afd.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post