Talking about religion at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: Talking about religion at work
What do you even do for a living I&I?
I imagine it's the type of job that would hire people without enough brain cells to process the most basic of conversations let alone one about religion.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 11:24 PM
(21-02-2013 07:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  What do you even do for a living I&I?
I imagine it's the type of job that would hire people without enough brain cells to process the most basic of conversations let alone one about religion.
I'm guessing full time activist. Probably Occupy Wall Street for the past year or so.
26-02-2013, 12:05 PM
If it comes up I pretty much stop at saying I'm an atheist, and I don't really discuss further. Sometimes I'll answer questions asked (usually because they are stupid)

"Do you celebrate Thanksgiving, being an Atheist and all?" ( Consider )

"You worship Satan??"

"Oh Hobbitgirl! You don't mind if I call it a christmas party do you?! I'll change it if you're offended.."

*facepalm* Dodgy

But it's really not worth the drama.

You are there to perform a task and get paid. Thats where it should end. Drinking Beverage

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
26-02-2013, 12:24 PM
(26-02-2013 12:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If it comes up I pretty much stop at saying I'm an atheist, and I don't really discuss further. Sometimes I'll answer questions asked (usually because they are stupid)

"Do you celebrate Thanksgiving, being an Atheist and all?" ( Consider )

"You worship Satan??"

"Oh Hobbitgirl! You don't mind if I call it a christmas party do you?! I'll change it if you're offended.."

*facepalm* Dodgy

But it's really not worth the drama.

You are there to perform a task and get paid. Thats where it should end. Drinking Beverage
Remember the old adage, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer". So the next time someone ask you a stupid question, feel free to embellish and make up wild ideas in a way that comes off as sarcastic, which will hopefully discourage them from asking further stupid questions.

"You worship Satan?"... "Sure, I always go around worshiping things I don't believe exist, cause ya know, that just defies all logic and reason, but you would know all about that, right?"

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I work as a firefighter in a small town in north Carolina. Even though we are not suppose to talk about religion, it is very overt. For instance, one night at the dinner table I was asked to pray. I was really not sure what to say. So I said "no". They played it off as me just being nervous because I'm the new guy. I really don't want to make waves in an organization that I spent years getting into. I let them pray and I just stay quiet. I feel eventually after they realize that I am a good person and a good firefighter I will tell them, but in the mean time I think I will avoid the topic.
[+] 2 users Like clybrad's post
27-02-2013, 11:36 PM
(27-02-2013 07:51 PM)clybrad Wrote:  I work as a firefighter in a small town in north Carolina. Even though we are not suppose to talk about religion, it is very overt. For instance, one night at the dinner table I was asked to pray. I was really not sure what to say. So I said "no". They played it off as me just being nervous because I'm the new guy. I really don't want to make waves in an organization that I spent years getting into. I let them pray and I just stay quiet. I feel eventually after they realize that I am a good person and a good firefighter I will tell them, but in the mean time I think I will avoid the topic.

That is a fucking badge of honour, I have a ton of respect for people who put their lives on the line for others. You do that, with no illusion about any rewards or an afterlife when you die. You're a fucking hero as far as I'm concerned, I don't have the guts to put myself in those situations for a living. Bowing

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Thank you for the kind words!
28-02-2013, 02:32 PM
(28-02-2013 02:17 PM)clybrad Wrote:  Thank you for the kind words!

I'm serious. Not that you need to go out of your way to rock the boat with your new co-workers. But if in the future anybody even thinks about giving you shit over your lack of belief, remind them that you're risking you life without the promise of Heaven. That means you have the biggest fucking cajones there (assuming there are no other atheists to compete with). You win, end of discussion.

Whatever you do, just keep being awesome.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post