Talking about religion at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I know that most jobs discourage talking about religion at work but is this semi-rule a code word for "no criticism of religion"? People generally use that rule when a debate comes up and never when two religious people are just having a conversation about religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 12:22 PM
RE: Talking about religion at work
Work is a place to get shit done; not to create tensions that may result in shit not getting done.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
21-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Creating tensions makes the workplace fun...
21-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Well in the UK you have to be very careful what you say about religion at work. Anything deemed harassment (this includes when someone is "offended" regardless of who it is, whether they were the person being addressed or not) towards a person due to their religion (or lack thereof) can lead to a reprimand. Or loss of your job if you aren't careful.
21-02-2013, 01:19 PM
(21-02-2013 01:02 PM)I and I Wrote:  Creating tensions makes the workplace fun...

Not when you have a project to bring in on time and under budget and you need to convince the engineers and marketing people to compromise. Having a couple guys at each other's throats over religion then is not fun.

Let me know your opinion after you get a real job, kid.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
21-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Religion is something people hold sacred, holy, untouchable in their own minds.
Creating an argument when there wasn't one creates unnecessary stress at work.
People may decide that you don't play well with others, that you create stress.
Managers like the workplace to be at peace, harmonious, productive and non-violent.

When someone upsets that harmony, that someone is eliminated.

Simple as that.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-02-2013, 01:46 PM
People get mad when discussing religion. And not for rational reasons. So it creates tension among coworkers that builds in ways that can't be easily remedied.

More importantly though, this can impact customers. The last thing anyone wants to do as a business is piss customers off. Especially for something unrelated to the products and/or service. Customers mean money and happy workers mean better work and mean you get more work out of them.

In general, I don't have a problem with the policy of restricting free speech at work (depending on the job, I don't encourage it at universities, even in classrooms) because the purpose of a business is to make money. And you maximize that by alienating as few people as possible.

Evolve
21-02-2013, 02:20 PM
You're pretty much right.

Two people can usually discuss religion without getting in trouble, even if their beliefs are different (though some companies are extremely strict in their enforcement of policies regarding such discussions and in such companies, any religious discussion could be trouble).

Where the trouble begins, up to and including disciplinary action, termination, and even legal action (lawsuits), is when it goes from a discussion to harassment. Obviously, insulting a religion or a religious coworker is clearly actionable harassment. However, there is such thing as secondary harassment. In this case, two people having a mutually acceptable religious discussion near a third person could potentially harass the third person, even though they aren't even talking to him/her. This third person could file a harassment complaint and the company would be forced to take action.

Even if the original discussion was not directly insulting or harassing the third person (or any additional listeners or even passers by), simply saying something like "Our religion is the only true religion" can be perceived as harassment by anyone who simply disagrees with that statement (who then files a complaint and the company must take action).

This is why most companies are fairly strict about such discussions - anybody can be inadvertently harassed by what can seem a perfectly normal, acceptable discussion and no company wants to have to terminate a good employee just because he or she spoke out of line.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
21-02-2013, 04:33 PM
(21-02-2013 01:02 PM)I and I Wrote:  Creating tensions makes the workplace fun...

I fire people who have that attitude. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-02-2013, 07:17 PM
(21-02-2013 12:17 PM)I and I Wrote:  I know that most jobs discourage talking about religion at work but is this semi-rule a code word for "no criticism of religion"? People generally use that rule when a debate comes up and never when two religious people are just having a conversation about religion.
In this one case, I think the answer is "no," for the reasons Phaedrus said.

That being said, it also depends on what your job is and who your coworkers are, but when it doubt, I don't think it's a safe topic. Not because it's religion, but because it's something people are irrational and emotional about, and that's not good for the work environment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user