Talking chimps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Talking chimps
Chimpanzees have at least 66 different mannerisms that they use to talk to each other, according to researchers. That's alot more than previously recorded. Not really new stuff, but once again it's proven that we aren't the only species capable of communicating in an intelligent way.

I wonder what would happen if we'd somehow 'educate' chimps in using more types of communication and then release them back into nature. Would they teach their new skills to others or would it be conceived as non-desirable behaviour?

Has this been researched yet?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 11:10 AM
RE: Talking chimps
(06-05-2011 09:31 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Chimpanzees have at least 66 different mannerisms that they use to talk to each other, according to researchers. That's alot more than previously recorded. Not really new stuff, but once again it's proven that we aren't the only species capable of communicating in an intelligent way.

I wonder what would happen if we'd somehow 'educate' chimps in using more types of communication and then release them back into nature. Would they teach their new skills to others or would it be conceived as non-desirable behaviour?

Has this been researched yet?

Very interesting question!
We have managed to teach sign language to some chimps, I wonder if they spontaneously teach it to their offspring?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
06-05-2011, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2011 01:24 PM by Kikko.)
Quote:I wonder if they spontaneously teach it to their offspring?
I haven't heard of chimps teaching each other skills, but they can learn from each other. They watch as other's do it and learn it that way, but they don't actually teach their offspring.

You could teach them new gestures, but they could propably only learn from-human-to-chimp gestures. I don't think you could make them learn and use a new from-chimp-to-chimp gesture. I can't imagine how it could be possible.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Lots of tests have been made on chimps. They seem to have the same same behavior as neanderthals; very slow cultural development and language building with a rejection of most non-survival related issues.

I did a lot of reading into chimp and elephant behavior as part of my study of cetacean intelligence.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.