Talking to my Husband

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2016, 08:04 AM
RE: Talking to my Husband
(21-04-2016 04:02 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-04-2016 11:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  None of these theological arguments admit of actual understanding because they're all logically flawed. All the theists do, in my experience, is muddy the waters enough with long words and long chains of questionable argument, so that anyone genuinely trying to follow along is bewildered, then calmly they announce "And therefore God".
Exactly.

They are considered "intelligent" people, but the arguments they make just leave you scratching your head. Really, they come to that conclusion, they can't see the obvious flaw in their argument?

I often just feel that they are taking the mickey, that they don't actually believe what they are saying, they just spout it because they want to prove how great a debater they are, or how they can bedazzle people with a convoluted confused cacophony of conjured claims and contorted crazy conclusions.

I mean, take a look at WLC's cosmological argument. The flaws have been pointed out endless times, and yet he continues to use the argument.
It then comes down to the matter of the confused audience just picking the guy they trust more. Christians claim that WLC wins the debate, non Christians point out that is logic is flawed.

But really, I struggle with the likes of scientists like Kenneth R. Miller, who, for a living works with the scientific method and fully understand the importance of objective methods of inquiry and evidence and falsifiable claims etc and yet in his person life forgets about these important things and chooses to believe in the Catholic god.

My own feeling is that they are already convinced of the Truth. They're not arguing deductively. They already know the answer, they are just trying to construct a deductive argument. As such, as soon as their argument can survive a basic stress test they wheel it out, and if it gets shot down in flames they do not question the Truth, they question why their argument didn't work.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply