Talking to my significant other....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 10:37 PM
RE: Talking to my significant other....
Gadget, When kids are raised in a church going home, they don't know why they believe and often don't even question it. You may be asking your wife questions she cannot answer. She's never questioned her beliefs and your questions may be putting her on shaky ground. She gets defensive. As a parent/step parent all you can do is teach the children to always question what they are told, be it at school, home or church. Religion suppresses these questions but children should always be encouraged to seek their own truths, not someone else's.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2013, 11:16 PM
It sounds like religion has completely permeated her life up until now. It's all she knows. So when you expect her to question things, it makes her uncomfortable, as Takelababy mentioned.

That being said, I think she is being INCREDIBLY selfish by not talking this through with you. A set of religious beliefs (or lack thereof) is intertwined with where one thinks the universe, the world, and humanity originated from. So it's kind of serious. Tongue It's one of those things that should get discussed in the dating stages of a relationship imo. Granted, it sometimes doesn't present itself in everyday situations...but it seems like one of those things that a couple should see (roughly) eye to eye on. All things considered, the only thing that matters is whether or not you can see past this. Obviously it's bothering you to some degree because you are asking our advise on it. If other serious aspects of the marriage are working out, then you might want to try to forget about it. Otherwise a marriage counselor might be in order.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
04-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Talking to my significant other....
You don't talk about it. Mutual respect.
I'm an atheist that send my kid to a private Christian school. My husbands a non practicing catholic. I always taught my child to think for himself & to question when something just doesn't seem right.
If my husband wanted him to be raised catholic it was his responsibility. Apparently, that was too much trouble. Smile
My son @ 8 starting question when he was taught in bible class. He'd ask me. I'd say, "what do you think?" He'd answer and I'd reply...doesn't sound right to me either.
By age 12 he became an atheist on his own. I've never shared the fact that I was an atheist. When my son made the announcement... I was Thrilled! Only then did I share.
But I always told him the basics of other religions...
[+] 2 users Like hotnostril's post
04-01-2014, 02:32 AM
She probably doesn't want to discuss it, because she can't debate you--or doesn't want to debate you. It sounds like she had all the religion she could stand in her previous marriage. Now she feels God exists, but she can't explain it, and definitely can't explain it to a habitual skeptic. What would be the point anyway? I mean if there is no God, who cares what we believe? It's all dust to dust anyway. Funny you call her a soul mate. What's a soul?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gordon's post