Talking with the Departed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Talking with the Departed
Often you see people in a graveyard talking to departed loved ones. Being an Atheist, I do not believe in any form of life after death. I don't believe that we have souls that go on living after our body dies. This being said, do you ever find yourself speaking to the air in a graveyard?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2012, 09:10 PM
RE: Talking with the Departed
(02-01-2012 08:32 PM)Grux33 Wrote:  Often you see people in a graveyard talking to departed loved ones. Being an Atheist, I do not believe in any form of life after death. I don't believe that we have souls that go on living after our body dies. This being said, do you ever find yourself speaking to the air in a graveyard?

Hi Grux 33.
No. I try and keep away from graveyards.
I also keep well clear of seances, just in case1Wink
02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I haven't been to my dads grave for years. I should go, but in my head is makes no real sense as he's dead and probably doesn't care. It's kind of a hassle to get there and I feel like a dick for saying that, so I often make up excuses for why I don't go.
That being said, when I have been there I have sort of talked to him... without actually talking to him. Like when I curse god. Its empty and has no meaning but it gives me some peace so I do it.
Hell I sometimes talk to my dad in my head, usually when I'm looking at my daughter feeling grateful for having her. Suddenly I remember that I haven't been to my dads grave in a while. Like when girls watch a stupid movie and the lead actress suddenly calls her mom and makes up with her, causing the girl to call their moms in some kind of empathic frenzy.
There's nothing wrong with it that I can see. It's like a kind of therapy. Only free, and it works.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
02-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Not at graveyards, it just hasn't happened. I've talked to deceased love ones though, but more in an empty manner, like lucradis described.

I think it fills that bond our neuropaths have embedded with the loved ones as a way of communication, something we miss so much. It just feels really good to do. Smile
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
03-01-2012, 01:17 AM
nope. I wouldn't talk to the air where they died either. But I do find myself talking to myself when I am out shopping - because I am so used to taking my daughters with me that when they are not there I forget for a moment. Have gotten a few smiles out of passerbys.

I used to fear ghosts but Skeptical Enquirer or some type magazine taught me all about the hoaxes those shoes can do.
[+] 2 users Like niqi's post
03-01-2012, 01:40 AM
I do find myself doing the same as lucradis & Lady Jane described. Would you consider it the neuro paths firing or underlying brainwashing from when I was part of the Catholic Church coming through?
03-01-2012, 01:53 AM
(03-01-2012 01:40 AM)Grux33 Wrote:  I do find myself doing the same as lucradis & Lady Jane described. Would you consider it the neuro paths firing or underlying brainwashing from when I was part of the Catholic Church coming through?

Maybe a bit of both? lol. I couldn't say... I am post-catholic as well!
03-01-2012, 04:24 AM
I don't really talk to them, I think about them aloud.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
03-01-2012, 04:27 AM
I have found myself talking to loved ones that have passed on but it has more to do with talking to their memory. If that makes sense. I know they cannot hear me and there is little valid reason for me to talk to them but for some reason it seems to make it easier.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes riseinside's post
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Yup, I do it too. When I visit his grave, I say :"Hi, dad." and "Bye, dad." Not because he can hear me, but because I can hear myself saying it and, for a split second after that, I feel a little bit better.

I cannot visit the house where he lived. I cannot visit the desk where he worked. I have no access to the places that remind me of him. I go to his grave and I pretend that I'm visiting him. I don't speak to him, other than my greetings. I just stay there and think about him. And I miss him a little less and, at the same time, a little more.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 4 users Like Malleus's post