Talking with the Departed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
RE: Talking with the Departed
(03-01-2012 11:01 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Yup, I do it too. When I visit his grave, I say :"Hi, dad." and "Bye, dad." Not because he can hear me, but because I can hear myself saying it and, for a split second after that, I feel a little bit better.

I cannot visit the house where he lived. I cannot visit the desk where he worked. I have no access to the places that remind me of him. I go to his grave and I pretend that I'm visiting him. I don't speak to him, other than my greetings. I just stay there and think about him. And I miss him a little less and, at the same time, a little more.

First, thank you all for keeping this civil. I posted the same question on another site's forum and it went from discussion into personal attacks.

I guess with the New Year ringing in, I was recollecting everything that 2011 brought, or took, from me and my family. Reading other's perspectives has helped in coping and hoping that 2012 will be better.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't believe in an afterlife but I do believe in a peace. I believe when you die you will be a part of an absolute nothingness. No pain or worry. No stress or anger. No war or hate. Just an absolute which I think is even more peaceful then any heaven that we could ever imagine. Thats how I envision it.

Not an afterlife but a cease of existence that seems to be peaceful. Of course this is a belief and I'm not stating it as fact or trying to shove it down people's throat but what do others believe about the afterlife?

As an Atheist, its something I question constantly and I'm very interested in. Of course I see this as a belief so don't think I'm attached or don't question it. I want to know other views on this.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
06-01-2012, 05:24 PM
(06-01-2012 04:15 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I don't believe in an afterlife but I do believe in a peace. I believe when you die you will be a part of an absolute nothingness. No pain or worry. No stress or anger. No war or hate. Just an absolute which I think is even more peaceful then any heaven that we could ever imagine. Thats how I envision it.

Not an afterlife but a cease of existence that seems to be peaceful. Of course this is a belief and I'm not stating it as fact or trying to shove it down people's throat but what do others believe about the afterlife?

As an Atheist, its something I question constantly and I'm very interested in. Of course I see this as a belief so don't think I'm attached or don't question it. I want to know other views on this.

I'll grant you that it's a belief, but the difference between this and most other metaphysical beliefs is that this one is at least plausible, even likely.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-01-2012, 01:02 AM
(06-01-2012 04:15 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I don't believe in an afterlife but I do believe in a peace. I believe when you die you will be a part of an absolute nothingness. No pain or worry. No stress or anger. No war or hate. Just an absolute which I think is even more peaceful then any heaven that we could ever imagine. Thats how I envision it.

I believe in a similar sense for it is the consciousness that controls our happiness, fears, stress, depression, sadness, joy, etc. and I view death ultimately as a cease of existence of consciousness. I don't believe we have a soul that goes on living after our bodies give out, but that our energy goes back into the universal cycle. I made the mistake of telling my 3 year old son that he doesn't have a soul tonight and my pagan wife smacked me (I learn the hard way).
[+] 1 user Likes Grux33's post
07-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I couldn't stop laughing about telling your children they don't have souls. I'll plan to do that when I become a parent. I do see a cease of existence and I don't see it as bad. I see Theist that are highly frightened of complete nonexistence so they pray constantly to enter the gates of Heaven. I believe thats one reason Theist attack us so blindly. They don't want to believe humans are worthless and we won't exist after death. Although humans can make themselves worth something and can enjoy life until that fateful day.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
08-01-2012, 01:01 AM
I "talk" with the dead all the time. Usually they're yelling at me while they try and cut my head off and my reply is almost always along the lines of "RETURN TO THE NETHERWORLD!" or "STAY DEAD THIS TIME!". The dead don't like me.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!