Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2015, 01:37 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(22-10-2015 01:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Personally, I think it would be nice if the OP (Ruby) returned to this thread to share their own thoughts.

Consider

I know, right? I worked hard on my reply!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
22-10-2015, 02:08 PM
One can not justify genocide and if one try there is no reason for talking with such person.
[/quote]

One of the points that Christians bring up about this topic is that only God has the authority to take life because he gave life. They believe that God ultimately decides the hour that someone will die. If this is the case, it would be immoral for man to commit murder/genocide. However it would not be immoral for An all powerful God who created everything to take life because he would be the only person who would have that authority. Just saying.
22-10-2015, 02:19 PM
(22-10-2015 02:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  One of the points that Christians bring up about this topic is that only God has the authority to take life because he gave life. They believe that God ultimately decides the hour that someone will die. If this is the case, it would be immoral for man to commit murder/genocide. However it would not be immoral for An all powerful God who created everything to take life because he would be the only person who would have that authority. Just saying.

Of course; even Epicurus was far from the first to point that out.

It however follows that it is then not immoral to commit those acts at the behest of God. And then we're right back into the cesspit of conflicting subjective "interpretations".

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-10-2015, 03:03 PM
(22-10-2015 02:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  One can not justify genocide and if one try there is no reason for talking with such person.

One of the points that Christians bring up about this topic is that only God has the authority to take life because he gave life. They believe that God ultimately decides the hour that someone will die. If this is the case, it would be immoral for man to commit murder/genocide. However it would not be immoral for An all powerful God who created everything to take life because he would be the only person who would have that authority. Just saying.
[/quote]

Why? God isn't special.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-10-2015, 03:06 PM
(22-10-2015 03:03 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Why? God isn't special.

It's, like, one of the foundational premises of most religions that God(s) are special, pretty much by definition...

... this is my signature!
22-10-2015, 03:36 PM
(22-10-2015 03:03 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 02:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  One can not justify genocide and if one try there is no reason for talking with such person.

Why? God isn't special.
[/quote]

"Why?"......did you even read what I wrote?
22-10-2015, 03:37 PM
(22-10-2015 02:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ... One of the points that Christians bring up about this topic is that only God has the authority to take life because he gave life ...

Leave aside the arbitrariness (and absurdity) of the concept that only a creator has the "authority" to de-create the thing created, what happens when, as is inevitable, a PhD (or a PhD's assistant) finally derives the chain of actions that transforms a specific matrix of minerals into an organism? At that point the PhD or the PhD's assistant has attained equivalent "authority" no longer reserved to gods.

The concept is childish anyway. I didn't create the mosquito I just swatted - so I've overstepped my "authority". Meanwhile the deceased mosquito won't infect anyone with disease, so swatting it saved lives. Maybe. But the notion that only the creator of a thing has SOLE legitimate claim to its disposition is idiotic.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
22-10-2015, 03:38 PM
(22-10-2015 02:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  One of the points that Christians bring up about this topic is that only God has the authority to take life because he gave life. They believe that God ultimately decides the hour that someone will die. If this is the case, it would be immoral for man to commit murder/genocide. However it would not be immoral for An all powerful God who created everything to take life because he would be the only person who would have that authority. Just saying.

It's a shitty point. It's nothing more than pathetic try to reconcile "loving" god with reality of biblical image of said primitive and bloodthirsty god.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-10-2015, 03:53 PM
(22-10-2015 03:36 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 03:03 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  One of the points that Christians bring up about this topic is that only God has the authority to take life because he gave life. They believe that God ultimately decides the hour that someone will die. If this is the case, it would be immoral for man to commit murder/genocide. However it would not be immoral for An all powerful God who created everything to take life because he would be the only person who would have that authority. Just saying.

Why? God isn't special.

You really need to use the Reply button. Your quotes are almost always misplaced. You just attributed "Why? God isn't special." to yourself instead of the MarshMonster.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-10-2015, 03:55 PM
(22-10-2015 03:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 03:36 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why? God isn't special.

You really need to use the Reply button. Your quotes are almost always misplaced. You just attributed "Why? God isn't special." to yourself instead of the MarshMonster.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post