Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2015, 06:08 AM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(25-10-2015 06:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 05:58 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Actually I own a somewhat successful business that I left over three months ago. Please don't let that stop you from assuming things though.

And I own a very successful business and treat my employees fairly, for instance those that wish to stay working for me I push an awl through their earlobe into a door to signify as much.

Deuteronomy
16 ”It shall come about if he says to you, ‘I will not go out from you,' because he loves you and your household, since he fares well with you; 17 then you shall take an awl and pierce it through his ear into the door, and he shall be your servant forever. Also you shall do likewise to your maidservant. 18 “It shall not seem hard to you when you set him free, for he has given you six years with double the service of a hired man; so the LORD your God will bless you in whatever you do.
I'm sorry, if you had a point I missed it. Happens often.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2015, 06:09 AM
(24-10-2015 07:43 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So you would have ratherded they just killed all indesciminatly?

It is no wonder you get the bible so wrong. Your reading comprehension skills are apparently nil. Nothing I said supports the idea of indiscriminate killing and you either have to be incredibly stupid or willfully dishonest to say that I did.

Quote:And yes, it is very easy to spot inconsistencies. All you have to do is read other scriptures.

No, all you have to do is read more of the same scriptures. Given the inconsistencies it makes it easy for sincere believers to come to wildly different conclusions about what the "real" message is supposed to be. The only way to determine who is right and who is delusional would be evidence and since you have none I'm maintaining my stance that you are one of the deluded.

Quote:The points that are the same and equally beneficial to all are right. The things that single out people over others in any way are placed by the greed of men. Real easy.

So you say, but you are applying other moral guidelines to determine that. You can't get that from the bible, you have to bring outside morals to your reading of it to determine what to accept and what to reject. People don't get their morals from religion, religion gets its morals from people.

(25-10-2015 03:48 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 01:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Why is it so hard for theists to see that answers were given?
Because most of you take little pieces and parts out of context and [b]ash us for them as opposed to answering or responding to an actual post.

I think my irony meter just melted.

Quote:Let's not forget the excessive name calling and attempted belittling.

When somebody suggest that we should believe something without evidence then belittling it is deserved. If you had an actual argument for your claims then you wouldn't feel so persecuted about it.

You need help Pops. Get some.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
25-10-2015, 06:14 AM
(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Scripture clearly states that yes, God does know everything. He knows what you are going to pray before we even open our mouths. Second, prayer is not a way to get things we want. It is not making a list for Santa. It is about maintaining a relationship.

Apologetics at their best. There are so many examples of why this is clearly your interpretation and not what is says in the Bible Facepalm
For instance:
James 15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)‘jason_delisle’ Wrote:  Third just about everything you said can in fact be explained in the bible.

Popcorn can’t wait to hear your explanations

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)‘jason_delisle Wrote:  You don’t have to believe that it is true because frankly it doesn’t mater. It amazes me that every atheist is a biblical expert. They know everything and theist are stupid simple creatures.

I’m surprised anything can still amaze you after one reads the bible.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well ask yourself, why are there atheist who converted to Christianity? Why are atheist so angry all the time. Especially if someone says they are praying for you. Why do atheist always seem to turn to personal attacks. I am not trying to convert anyone here. I am only here to answer questions.

Strawman

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-10-2015, 06:18 AM
Unfogged,

It was a question. You said that pows were still taken against their will. So I asked if you thought they would have preferred death through war. Obviously they chose to be slaves or they would have died on the battlefield.

No if you read scripture and not go off of what others preach then you get the message. I talk with many religious people and the majority of them all have very similar views. That's not because they all get something different from scripture. It's because they can read and comprehend.

What other moral guidelines. Your conscience is your guide to morality. It is spoken of in numerous scriptures including the bible.

Not sure if you noticed, but you take what I say out of context all he time, and verses of the bible too most likely.

I don't really feel persicuted. I know my place. The only persecution I have to deal with is my own.

I have help.
25-10-2015, 06:18 AM
(25-10-2015 06:07 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You know because every atheist who quotes old testament law is an expert on the social/economic norms of the time.

Ah, yes...the old, “but in that time it was different” apologetic. Thumbsup

How novel, didn’t see that coming. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-10-2015, 06:22 AM
(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  They know everything and theist are stupid simple creatures.

If you say so I won't disagree.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well ask yourself, why are there atheist who converted to Christianity?

Never met such person but I imagine that fear imprinted during childhood could be reason for doing it.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why are atheist so angry all the time.

Are they really?

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Especially if someone says they are praying for you.

Saying that you're pray for me makes me sad not angry. I wonder how one can be so deluded to think that mumbling something to imaginary space wizard can have some real effect.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why do atheist always seem to turn to personal attacks.

They do?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Why do atheist go to an atheist forum to ask questions about God and the bible?
25-10-2015, 06:23 AM
(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  It amazes me that every atheist is a biblical expert. They know everything and theist are stupid simple creatures. Well ask yourself, why are there atheist who converted to Christianity?

Many atheists are ex-believers and very few, at least in my experience, actually think believers are stupid. Fear and uncertainty are powerful motivators and make the illusion of having the answers attractive. I can understand the allure of the comfort and the social benefits of professing belief and am not surprised that some succumb to it. I just see no reason to think any of it is true and, given what we know about how the xian dogma was developed, plenty of reason to believe that that is all fabricated.

Quote:Why are atheist so angry all the time. Especially if someone says they are praying for you. Why do atheist always seem to turn to personal attacks. I am not trying to convert anyone here. I am only here to answer questions.

I think you are confusing anger with frustration. If everybody around you kept telling you over and over that they would turn around twice for you and expect you to think that it would actually have a benefit you'd start to get frustrated too. To the extent that it is an expression of sympathy it is fine but with "I'll pray for you" there is an added undertone of "that will have a real effect" and "if it doesn't then it is your fault, not mine". At least that's the way it always sounds to me.

[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
25-10-2015, 06:28 AM
(25-10-2015 06:03 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God is merciful though and does answer prayers of those who are in need and in Faith and try to follow the word of God.

That's quite a claim. Please identify the studies that show that people who pray actually do have better outcomes than people who don't. If you can't show a statistically significant difference between believers and non-believers then that claim is meaningless.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-10-2015, 06:28 AM
(25-10-2015 06:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  They know everything and theist are stupid simple creatures.

If you say so I won't disagree.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well ask yourself, why are there atheist who converted to Christianity?

Never met such person but I imagine that fear imprinted during childhood could be reason for doing it.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why are atheist so angry all the time.

Are they really?

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Especially if someone says they are praying for you.

Saying that you're pray for me makes me sad not angry. I wonder how one can be so deluded to think that mumbling something to imaginary space wizard can have some real effect.

(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why do atheist always seem to turn to personal attacks.

They do?
Never met a Christian who was an atheist? They are on this forum. I can count at least three. Heck if you read earlier posts on this thread you would see that. Why can't atheist ever admit that they are wrong about something epically when it comes to biblical teachings. If I was to say that the bible says the sky is blue I would have at least three people say "uh.. well actually you see the sky is not really blue because uh.. (fill in blank) so once again the bible is wrong. Ok. I know I am just venting at this point and I got it out of my system now. You guys are awesome. I hope it was to your amusement.