Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2015, 07:04 AM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(25-10-2015 06:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 06:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  ... or willfully dishonest ...

This gets my vote.

He's not worth the shit on your shoe.

Yeah, but for some reason I find him fascinating. Kind of like slowing down to look at an accident scene I guess. I can't imagine living with that much delusion.

It is an interesting crop of theists these days. Pops and Alla who are just completely vapid, Q and COTW who are so arrogant in their refusal to consider anything, and Jason who seems to be pretty intelligent and with the potential to overcome the indoctrination. Aliza is the only really confusing one... I have no idea why she is still a believer.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-10-2015, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2015 08:01 AM by Full Circle.)
Found it! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ity?page=2

(25-10-2015 06:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 06:30 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I have witnessed prayers being answered. My own and others. It has little to do with any statistic though.

You have witnessed good things happening to people. So have I, to theists and atheists alike. I've also seen bad things happen. Strangely enough, the rates at which these things happen don't seem to differ. Random chance is an amazing thing. Consider that with 7 billion people on the planet a one-in-a-million event could be happening to 7000 people today.

If you can't demonstrate that your answered prayer is more that a random event then you have no legitimate reason to ascribe a cause to it, especially not a supernatural cause for which no evidence exists.

Once upon a time on the forum I ran a statistical probability of having three airplane passengers with the same birthday sitting side by side on the same row. It happens way more often than one would imagine.

Has to be a miracle.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-10-2015, 07:46 AM
(25-10-2015 06:22 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why do atheist go to an atheist forum to ask questions about God and the bible?

To better know our enemy.

To commiserate with others in our position.

To learn how best to deal with theists in real life, including being banished from one's family, threats of violence, legal limitations, and having religion shoved down our throats.

Etc.

25¢ says you were never an atheist.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
25-10-2015, 07:52 AM
(25-10-2015 07:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Found it! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-What-s-The-Probability?

(25-10-2015 06:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  You have witnessed good things happening to people. So have I, to theists and atheists alike. I've also seen bad things happen. Strangely enough, the rates at which these things happen don't seem to differ. Random chance is an amazing thing. Consider that with 7 billion people on the planet a one-in-a-million event could be happening to 7000 people today.

If you can't demonstrate that your answered prayer is more that a random event then you have no legitimate reason to ascribe a cause to it, especially not a supernatural cause for which no evidence exists.

Once upon a time on the forum I ran a statistical probability of having three airplane passengers with the same birthday sitting side by side on the same row. It happens way more often than one would imagine.

Has to be a miracle.

Would it be even more of a miracle if I could guess the date of that birthday?

Big Grin

25-10-2015, 07:53 AM
(25-10-2015 07:46 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 06:22 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why do atheist go to an atheist forum to ask questions about God and the bible?

To better know our enemy.

To learn how best to deal with theists in real life, including being banished from one's family, threats of violence, legal limitations, and having religion shoved down our throats.

Etc.

I never was an atheist. Why not go to a christian forum to better know your "enemy"? Btw.. I don't think of atheists as "the enemy".
25-10-2015, 07:55 AM
The only thing I can really understand is that atheist use this forum to vent out their frustrations from deeming with theist all day.
(25-10-2015 07:55 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The only thing I can really understand is that atheist use this forum to vent out their frustrations from deeming with theist all day.
*dealing
(25-10-2015 07:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 07:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Found it! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-What-s-The-Probability?

Has to be a miracle.

Would it be even more of a miracle if I could guess the date of that birthday?

Big Grin

Dodgy

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-10-2015, 07:57 AM
(25-10-2015 07:53 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 07:46 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  To better know our enemy.

Etc.

I never was an atheist. Why not go to a christian forum to better know your "enemy"? Btw.. I don't think of atheists as "the enemy".

Unlike here, where theists are allowed and seldom banned - because you don't scare us-an atheist on a Christian forum enters with a target on their back and is soon banned.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-10-2015, 07:58 AM
(25-10-2015 07:57 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 07:53 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I never was an atheist. Why not go to a christian forum to better know your "enemy"? Btw.. I don't think of atheists as "the enemy".

Unlike here, where theists are allowed and seldom banned - because you don't scare us-an atheist on a Christian forum enters with a target on their back and are soon banned.
Really? Well I can understand the frustration then.