Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2015, 01:14 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(25-10-2015 01:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Once again we are to be swayed by feels not reals.

yawn

ROFL!

I will be adding that to my list of witty replies for future use.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2015, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2015 01:23 PM by pablo.)
(25-10-2015 12:11 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 12:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Here you go. Empathogens.
Yeah, I was driving home from work when it happened. Didn't take any drugs and a drastic chemical imbalance doesn't magically and instantly fix itself. I've done x quite a few times. It does cause temporary joy, but does not cause epiphany, and the effects are temporary. Good try though.

Sounds like a "flashback".

ETA: Have you ever been diagnosed/tested for epilepsy?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
25-10-2015, 01:16 PM
(25-10-2015 01:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 01:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Once again we are to be swayed by feels not reals.

yawn

ROFL!

I will be adding that to my list of witty replies for future use.

Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-10-2015, 01:37 PM
(25-10-2015 11:16 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  The other instance that came to mind was a matter of a check being mailed to someone from a city government with no reason or purpose. Mind you that this isn't necessarily a miracle, but is it something that two people prayed for not knowing the other had prayed for it. How often does the gov., at any level mail out a check with no explanation? I prayed that this person would find financial help. Evidently, she had prayed something similar around the same time.

My son got money in the mail last week...unless his god is State Farm I am pretty sure it's because the money was owed to him. He didn't know it was coming. It wasn't expected, he didn't even pray for money from the State Farm gods. Getting unexpected money from an insurance company is at least as unexpected as getting unexpected money from the government.

You are assigning explanations for things to fit your fairy tale.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
25-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Stories where people have to jump through hoops and connect dots aren't miracles.

Wow...two people pray for the exact same thing and suddenly a check arrives in the mail from the government.

Uh huh.

I watched some late night tv thing where a guy was selling a crystal cross and vial of holy water, and the testimonials of people were amazing.

One person after getting their crystal and water, got a large payment from a business deal. Wow...that's just amazing Facepalm

It's like saying I was thinking, "I want something nice for lunch today, but have to wait until payday." then they take an old jacket out of the closet and find a $20 in the pocket.

It's not god. It's a coincidence.

I got a check from the government once too. I over paid my propery taxes. Drinking Beverage

Can you believe the check was for $17.95 and the liquor store was running a special on Jim Beam for the exact same price!

I took that 17.95 and had a real party with some Jim Beam because according to Pops, god wanted me to. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-10-2015, 02:00 PM
(25-10-2015 12:43 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 05:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  It amazes me that every atheist is a biblical expert. They know everything and theist are stupid simple creatures. Well ask yourself, why are there atheist who converted to Christianity? Why are atheist so angry all the time. Especially if someone says they are praying for you. Why do atheist always seem to turn to personal attacks. I am not trying to convert anyone here. I am only here to answer questions.
See, again, assuming all atheists are angry. This is almost universal with theists, especially Christians. If we don't agree, we're labeled angry. I'm not angry at all. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but this just falls in line with the majority of believers.

If an atheist gets angry, it's precisely because theists (again, mostly Christians) constantly tell us we need Jesus or their particular flavor of faith. Would you love it if you were constantly hounded by Hindus, Muslims, theistic Buddhists, Wiccans, etc.? Very few here welcome Jehovah's Witnesses into their home. Do you? If not, why? Do you make it a point to give the young Mormon elders your undivided attention and time? If not, why? Would you enjoy it if somehow your city seceded and was under sharia? Why not?

But that's our reality. You come to an atheist forum and don't like the answers. In the past few months alone, we've had a handful of theists come here and insinuate we're loathsome, evil, or lack real religious upbringing. So of course, when you question and make snide comments, many immediately think you're going to do the same. Christians especially love to come here, ask vague questions, and then pull a "Gotcha! Caught you!"

You've been here a short time and already think all atheists are angry and dodge questions. I've been here a year and don't think all visiting theists are morons.

I think the idea that atheists study the Bible and other holy texts irritates many theists. We read your holy books from another perspective. When people have to perform mental gymnastics to justify contradictions or strange morals (including condoning behavior that we now believe is immoral) we of course would point it out. Do you think Atlas rests the world upon his weary shoulders? Or that elephants hold up the earth? Of course not. But people did and still do believe such nonsense. Why would your religion get an exception? Some of my ancestors believed bears were once humans. Why would I believe that? But to say that we don't know the Bible is incorrect. We just see it from a point of view that you don't like.

There are more theist-turned-atheist than vice versa. Do you even understand the vitriol many of us get when friends and family turn their backs on us because we no longer believe? And then you come here and think you understand how we all are. You lump all atheists into a neat little box where we're all angry, insulting idiots. Most of us would not lump you with Q, Alla, Egor, Comfort/Cameron, and Ken Ham. Yet you did exactly that to us.

You're asking questions but not accepting answers. I don't dislike you, Jason, but you're following the same path of theists who come here not to discuss but think you have it figured out.

I want you to stick around but ease up on this kind of attitude. In the mean time, check out Greta Christina's book titled Why Are You Atheists So Angry?. Then put yourself in our shoes. Or imagine Islam fundies doing that to Christians.
Yeah. I apologized for that outburst later. I know it is no excuse but I cough some kind of stomach flu. I haven't had a solid crap in a few days. Sorry if that is too much info.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
25-10-2015, 02:15 PM
(25-10-2015 02:00 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yeah. I apologized for that outburst later. I know it is no excuse but I cough some kind of stomach flu. I haven't had a solid crap in a few days. Sorry if that is too much info.

Actually, that sounds like a totally valid reason to have a bad day and lash out at people.

I was going to make some joke about your argument being "void" (as in bowels), but I couldn't quite make it work.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-10-2015, 02:27 PM
(25-10-2015 02:15 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 02:00 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yeah. I apologized for that outburst later. I know it is no excuse but I cough some kind of stomach flu. I haven't had a solid crap in a few days. Sorry if that is too much info.

Actually, that sounds like a totally valid reason to have a bad day and lash out at people.

I was going to make some joke about your argument being "void" (as in bowels), but I couldn't quite make it work.
I guess the crap was coming out of both ends? Anyway, I did realize something. I am beginning to really understand why atheist have the reputation for being angry all the time by Christians. I couldn't imaging going your entire day to day routine constantly being told a lie then when you voice your opinion you get hammered.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
25-10-2015, 02:31 PM
(25-10-2015 01:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 12:11 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yeah, I was driving home from work when it happened. Didn't take any drugs and a drastic chemical imbalance doesn't magically and instantly fix itself. I've done x quite a few times. It does cause temporary joy, but does not cause epiphany, and the effects are temporary. Good try though.

Sounds like a "flashback".

ETA: Have you ever been diagnosed/tested for epilepsy?
Nice try. Again it wasn't similar to x. I've never had a flash back, and the few times I had done x were way earlier in life. A personal revelation isn't in any way similar to what I remember of x, or mdma whatever you linked to.
25-10-2015, 02:33 PM
(25-10-2015 02:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 02:15 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Actually, that sounds like a totally valid reason to have a bad day and lash out at people.

I guess the crap was coming out of both ends? Anyway, I did realize something. I am beginning to really understand why atheist have the reputation for being angry all the time by Christians. I couldn't imaging going your entire day to day routine constantly being told a lie then when you voice your opinion you get hammered.

Yeah, gets old fast.

But that’s not all or even the worst part, seeing how the electorate votes in religious politicians that then defund science gives me apoplexia.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post