Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 06:07 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(26-10-2015 06:06 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Wow! I just figured out how to edit my post!

Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 06:09 PM
(26-10-2015 06:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 05:12 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yeah. He accused me of not knowing anything about the bible...I am working on a masters in divinity and studying to be a military chaplain.

That's a noble profession. I never met a military chaplain who was an intolerant asshole or who proselytized. They all seemed to know the priniciples of just about every religion and were able to assume the role of priest, rabbi, or iman or whatever was appropriate for the person seeking counsel. Even atheists. How do you study to be military chaplain without being in the military? Some sorta ROTC program?

I had good experiences with military chaplains. More secular counselor than preacher, in my experience.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-10-2015, 06:10 PM
(26-10-2015 06:06 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Wow! I just figured out how to edit my post!
(26-10-2015 12:00 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I just figured out how to look at other people's profiles!

:sigh:

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-10-2015, 06:11 PM
(26-10-2015 06:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 05:12 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yeah. He accused me of not knowing anything about the bible...I am working on a masters in divinity and studying to be a military chaplain.

That's a noble profession. I never met a military chaplain who was an intolerant asshole or who proselytized. They all seemed to know the priniciples of just about every religion and were able to assume the role of priest, rabbi, or iman or whatever was appropriate for the person seeking counsel. Even atheists. How do you study to be military chaplain without being in the military? Some sorta ROTC program?
Well I actually am in the military. The requirement to be a chaplain is pretty much a masters in divinity or theology with a minimum of 72 hours of upper graduate level work and have an ecclesiastical endorsement from the denominations you are to practice in. Aka ordained priest, rabbi, imam ect...
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
26-10-2015, 06:17 PM
(26-10-2015 05:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 05:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Girly, I'm not sure you've committed to that with me!

.... probably because you realize that I'm just biding my time, waiting for the perfect moment to strike and hit the forum with walls of copy pasta from my yeshiva. Evil_monster

Au contraire meschugena. I've been quivering with anticipation for your yeshiva ever since you got here.

Oy gevalt, Meydele. You should check out some of my recent posts. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
26-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Basically the roll of a military chaplain is to:

Advise the commander to ensure that his decisions are ethical an moral.

To provide services for the service members such as counseling and worship services. Even if an atheist has issues with suicidal intentions a chaplain is trained to handle crisis counseling.

To ensure that everyone's religious freedoms are respected. Is doesn't matter if it is Christians, Jews, Muslims
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
26-10-2015, 06:20 PM
(26-10-2015 06:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 06:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's a noble profession. I never met a military chaplain who was an intolerant asshole or who proselytized. They all seemed to know the priniciples of just about every religion and were able to assume the role of priest, rabbi, or iman or whatever was appropriate for the person seeking counsel. Even atheists. How do you study to be military chaplain without being in the military? Some sorta ROTC program?
Well I actually am in the military. The requirement to be a chaplain is pretty much a masters in divinity or theology with a minimum of 72 hours of upper graduate level work and have an ecclesiastical endorsement from the denominations you are to practice in. Aka ordained priest, rabbi, imam ect...

Good on ya. That is interesting. Did you enter the military with a chaplain MOS? Did you convert to that and how? I'm assuming they're paying for your ordainment. GWoG here is a CWO in the USN who has all the knowledge necessary to be a chaplain. Only reason I can tell he hasn't changed MOS is 'cause bigfuckingbadass MOS pays more.

#sigh
26-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Did you enlist as a chaplains assistant? I was in basic with a woman who had that MOS.

26-10-2015, 06:24 PM
I feel bad for you Jason. But there are atheists in the military too. Maybe you'll be nicer to them because of your experiences as trying to be an atheist on a Christian forum.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

26-10-2015, 06:25 PM
I am actually a helicopter pilot for the Marine Corps. My EAS is in 2019. Working on my degree now so what when 2019 comes around I will get out of the Marines and then join the Navy as a chaplain.
[+] 3 users Like jason_delisle's post