Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(26-10-2015 06:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  To provide services for the service members such as counseling and worship services. Even if an atheist has issues with suicidal intentions a chaplain is trained to handle crisis counseling.

Just to be clear. They are quite good at welcoming and counseling atheists without suicidal intentions as well. Smile

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-10-2015, 06:31 PM
(26-10-2015 06:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 06:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  To provide services for the service members such as counseling and worship services. Even if an atheist has issues with suicidal intentions a chaplain is trained to handle crisis counseling.

Just to be clear. They are perfectly willing and quite good at counseling atheists without suicidal intentions as well.
Exactly. The point I was trying to make is that chaplains have to be tolerant to all religious beliefs. One of their attributes is that anything that is said to them they cannot repeat. And when I say anything I mean ANYTHING. Even if a Marine told a chaplain he was planning to kill his commanding officer and laid out the whole plan all the chaplain can do is tell the commander that it would not be wise to come in to work that day.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
26-10-2015, 06:32 PM
(26-10-2015 06:25 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am actually a helicopter pilot for the Marine Corps. My EAS is in 2019. Working on my degree now so what when 2019 comes around I will get out of the Marines and then join the Navy as a chaplain.

As long as your intentions are to help people, all people, I say good for you. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-10-2015, 06:42 PM
(26-10-2015 06:31 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 06:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just to be clear. They are perfectly willing and quite good at counseling atheists without suicidal intentions as well.
Exactly. The point I was trying to make is that chaplains have to be tolerant to all religious beliefs. One of their attributes is that anything that is said to them they cannot repeat. And when I say anything I mean ANYTHING. Even if a Marine told a chaplain he was planning to kill his commanding officer and laid out the whole plan all the chaplain can do is tell the commander that it would not be wise to come in to work that day.

In the military if you need some sorta psychological assistance you go to the chaplain, not the shrink. Not clear what information the shrink is required to report to chain of command. Is clear what the chaplain is required to do. Not repeat anything. Thumbsup

#sigh
27-10-2015, 05:20 AM
(26-10-2015 06:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Basically the roll of a military chaplain is to:

Advise the commander to ensure that his decisions are ethical an moral.

To provide services for the service members such as counseling and worship services. Even if an atheist has issues with suicidal intentions a chaplain is trained to handle crisis counseling.

To ensure that everyone's religious freedoms are respected. Is doesn't matter if it is Christians, Jews, Muslims

Prior to your foray into this forum had you dealt with atheists before?

ps Thank you for your service!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-10-2015, 06:12 AM
(27-10-2015 05:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 06:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Basically the roll of a military chaplain is to:

Advise the commander to ensure that his decisions are ethical an moral.

To provide services for the service members such as counseling and worship services. Even if an atheist has issues with suicidal intentions a chaplain is trained to handle crisis counseling.

To ensure that everyone's religious freedoms are respected. Is doesn't matter if it is Christians, Jews, Muslims

Prior to your foray into this forum had you dealt with atheists before?

Yes. After I became an officer I was actually shocked at how many Marine officers were either atheist or just didn't care about religion. While stationed in Camp Pendleton as well as Quantico, my roommates and most of their friends were and still are agnostic atheists. Some were were what I call "flamboyant atheist". That is the term to describe an atheist who will go out of there way to push their views on you. Like when someone would sneeze they would say "science bless you". My roommates were more tolerant. Yes we did have discussion about religion. It was very civilized for the most part. There was one time when we were discussing morals of God and he said "I would rather burn in hell and worship a God who would send people to hell because they were never given the opportunity to know Jesus". But that was the worst it ever got. I would have to say that my religious tolerance primarily comes from my military service but a great deal of it is actually living with them. Honestly, i would rather be a friend with a "flamboyant atheist" than someone who says they are a Christian yet does not actually follow the teachings of Jesus. I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true. Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ. But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you. The bible teaches Christians to "be a light in the darkness so the lost can find there way". Unfortunately most Christians fail in that aspect along with many others. I can't convert you. Only the Holy Spirit can. A farmer may plant a seed, but he can not command the plant grow. So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish. I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God. However just know that you all are loved. I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
27-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Holy Spirit made me an atheist. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-10-2015, 06:45 AM
(26-10-2015 08:31 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  ...
Get screenshots.

Prophetic words. Yes

(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ...
Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ.

So your target audience is the 'deconverted'?

What about those of us who never turned to christ in the first place?

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-10-2015, 06:47 AM
(27-10-2015 06:23 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Holy Spirit made me an atheist. Tongue

If I get the wool ...

Big Grin

27-10-2015, 07:11 AM
(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 05:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Prior to your foray into this forum had you dealt with atheists before?

Yes. After I became an officer I was actually shocked at how many Marine officers were either atheist or just didn't care about religion. While stationed in Camp Pendleton as well as Quantico, my roommates and most of their friends were and still are agnostic atheists. Some were were what I call "flamboyant atheist". That is the term to describe an atheist who will go out of there way to push their views on you. Like when someone would sneeze they would say "science bless you". My roommates were more tolerant. Yes we did have discussion about religion. It was very civilized for the most part. There was one time when we were discussing morals of God and he said "I would rather burn in hell and worship a God who would send people to hell because they were never given the opportunity to know Jesus". But that was the worst it ever got. I would have to say that my religious tolerance primarily comes from my military service but a great deal of it is actually living with them. Honestly, i would rather be a friend with a "flamboyant atheist" than someone who says they are a Christian yet does not actually follow the teachings of Jesus. I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true. Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ. But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you. The bible teaches Christians to "be a light in the darkness so the lost can find there way". Unfortunately most Christians fail in that aspect along with many others. I can't convert you. Only the Holy Spirit can. A farmer may plant a seed, but he can not command the plant grow. So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish. I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God. However just know that you all are loved. I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?!

Do you hear yourself?

Quote:Some were were what I call "flamboyant atheist". That is the term to describe an atheist who will go out of there way to push their views on you. Like when someone would sneeze they would say "science bless you".

You realize that that's just a response to the ACTUAL, EVERYDAY "pushing their views on you" that Christians do when they say "God bless you", right?

You just criticized an atheist for doing a halfhearted mockery of something that's an everyday practice under the sheer and astounding arrogance that is Christianity-- arrogant because you presume you have the right to "bless" me using your space-wizard magic (to help keep the demons out when I sneeze, I guess?) in the first place?

Look man, I appreciate that you have a good heart, and are willing to treat us decently... but you don't even realize the bigoted way you are treating us, even in a moment of genuine, conciliatory sympathy. To presume that an atheist who jokingly speaks in the same way Christians do every day is to presume that Christians have a right to do so without being labeled arrogant, but we don't. If you label them when they do what you do, you're accomplishing their goal-- to get you to see that your own system deserves the vitriol which we heap upon it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post