Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 07:23 AM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 05:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Prior to your foray into this forum had you dealt with atheists before?

ps Thank you for your service!
Yes. After I became an officer I was actually shocked at how many Marine officers were either atheist or just didn't care about religion. While stationed in Camp Pendleton as well as Quantico, my roommates and most of their friends were and still are agnostic atheists. Some were were what I call "flamboyant atheist". That is the term to describe an atheist who will go out of there way to push their views on you. Like when someone would sneeze they would say "science bless you". My roommates were more tolerant. Yes we did have discussion about religion. It was very civilized for the most part. There was one time when we were discussing morals of God and he said "I would rather burn in hell and worship a God who would send people to hell because they were never given the opportunity to know Jesus". But that was the worst it ever got. I would have to say that my religious tolerance primarily comes from my military service but a great deal of it is actually living with them. Honestly, i would rather be a friend with a "flamboyant atheist" than someone who says they are a Christian yet does not actually follow the teachings of Jesus. I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true. Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ. But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you. The bible teaches Christians to "be a light in the darkness so the lost can find there way". Unfortunately most Christians fail in that aspect along with many others. I can't convert you. Only the Holy Spirit can. A farmer may plant a seed, but he can not command the plant grow. So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish. I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God. However just know that you all are loved. I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.

I really appreciate your honesty. Just be respectful of other's beliefs you'll be treated with respect here. I would be really surprised if you convince anyone go back to Christianity. There are still many of us who have never worshipped Jesus (myself included, though I was dazzled by all the Christmas tree lights for a short while.)

If you're planning on witnessing or evangelising, you'd better bring your A-Game (your A++++ game). The people on this forum wipe the floor with apologists and their drivel every day. Each encounter serves to bolster their position and collective knowledge, not weaken it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
27-10-2015, 07:27 AM
(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 05:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Prior to your foray into this forum had you dealt with atheists before?

ps Thank you for your service!
I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true. Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ. But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you. The bible teaches Christians to "be a light in the darkness so the lost can find there way". Unfortunately most Christians fail in that aspect along with many others. I can't convert you. Only the Holy Spirit can. A farmer may plant a seed, but he can not command the plant grow. So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish. I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God. However just know that you all are loved. I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.

To say this is annoying is putting it mildly. Take your holier-than-thou and shove it.

There is not ONE SINGLE THING you can do with Jezus that I can't do without Jezus. I am perfectly happy being god-less. Who are you to tell me otherwise?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
27-10-2015, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 07:44 AM by jason_delisle.)
(27-10-2015 07:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yes. After I became an officer I was actually shocked at how many Marine officers were either atheist or just didn't care about religion. While stationed in Camp Pendleton as well as Quantico, my roommates and most of their friends were and still are agnostic atheists. Some were were what I call "flamboyant atheist". That is the term to describe an atheist who will go out of there way to push their views on you. Like when someone would sneeze they would say "science bless you". My roommates were more tolerant. Yes we did have discussion about religion. It was very civilized for the most part. There was one time when we were discussing morals of God and he said "I would rather burn in hell and worship a God who would send people to hell because they were never given the opportunity to know Jesus". But that was the worst it ever got. I would have to say that my religious tolerance primarily comes from my military service but a great deal of it is actually living with them. Honestly, i would rather be a friend with a "flamboyant atheist" than someone who says they are a Christian yet does not actually follow the teachings of Jesus. I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true. Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ. But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you. The bible teaches Christians to "be a light in the darkness so the lost can find there way". Unfortunately most Christians fail in that aspect along with many others. I can't convert you. Only the Holy Spirit can. A farmer may plant a seed, but he can not command the plant grow. So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish. I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God. However just know that you all are loved. I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?!

Do you hear yourself?

Quote:Some were were what I call "flamboyant atheist". That is the term to describe an atheist who will go out of there way to push their views on you. Like when someone would sneeze they would say "science bless you".

You realize that that's just a response to the ACTUAL, EVERYDAY "pushing their views on you" that Christians do when they say "God bless you", right?

You just criticized an atheist for doing a halfhearted mockery of something that's an everyday practice under the sheer and astounding arrogance that is Christianity-- arrogant because you presume you have the right to "bless" me using your space-wizard magic (to help keep the demons out when I sneeze, I guess?) in the first place?

Look man, I appreciate that you have a good heart, and are willing to treat us decently... but you don't even realize the bigoted way you are treating us, even in a moment of genuine, conciliatory sympathy. To presume that an atheist who jokingly speaks in the same way Christians do every day is to presume that Christians have a right to do so without being labeled arrogant, but we don't. If you label them when they do what you do, you're accomplishing their goal-- to get you to see that your own system deserves the vitriol which we heap upon it.
Forgive me but I don't think I made my context clear. "Flamboyant atheist" was not intended to be insulting. It was a term I used with my roommate often. We both would rip on each other all in good fun. I only used that to explain that I can relate to what atheist or anyone for that matter when they are badgered constantly and criticized because of their views. The specific example of the sneezing was not why I called them "flamboyant " it was their constant "look at me I am an atheist and you theist can suck it" attitude. These were the type of atheist that found pleasure in trying to make Christians look stupid. Now don't think for one minute that I don't understand that atheist get that kind of treatment more often than I can imagine. I do not condone bigotry from anyone. I actually hold Christians more accountable. I wish you could have seen me blast some southern country bigot on the Christian forum? Now when I first came on this site I was told to have tough skin because it can get a little offensive at times. Right now I am sorry to say that you need to do the same. I am sorry if what I said offends you. But honestly if a term like "flamboyant atheist" is offensive to you when used as a friendly rip, you may be a little too sensitive for this site.
27-10-2015, 07:40 AM
(27-10-2015 07:23 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yes. After I became an officer I was actually shocked at how many Marine officers were either atheist or just didn't care about religion. While stationed in Camp Pendleton as well as Quantico, my roommates and most of their friends were and still are agnostic atheists. Some were were what I call "flamboyant atheist". That is the term to describe an atheist who will go out of there way to push their views on you. Like when someone would sneeze they would say "science bless you". My roommates were more tolerant. Yes we did have discussion about religion. It was very civilized for the most part. There was one time when we were discussing morals of God and he said "I would rather burn in hell and worship a God who would send people to hell because they were never given the opportunity to know Jesus". But that was the worst it ever got. I would have to say that my religious tolerance primarily comes from my military service but a great deal of it is actually living with them. Honestly, i would rather be a friend with a "flamboyant atheist" than someone who says they are a Christian yet does not actually follow the teachings of Jesus. I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true. Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ. But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you. The bible teaches Christians to "be a light in the darkness so the lost can find there way". Unfortunately most Christians fail in that aspect along with many others. I can't convert you. Only the Holy Spirit can. A farmer may plant a seed, but he can not command the plant grow. So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish. I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God. However just know that you all are loved. I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.

I really appreciate your honesty. Just be respectful of other's beliefs you'll be treated with respect here. I would be really surprised if you convince anyone go back to Christianity. There are still many of us who have never worshipped Jesus (myself included, though I was dazzled by all the Christmas tree lights for a short while.)

If you're planning on witnessing or evangelising, you'd better bring your A-Game (your A++++ game). The people on this forum wipe the floor with apologists and their drivel every day. Each encounter serves to bolster their position and collective knowledge, not weaken it.
Just here to be a good dude and answer questions. Not to convert through bigotry and threat of fire and brimstone. Thank you for the advice and kind words.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
27-10-2015, 07:41 AM
(27-10-2015 07:27 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true. Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ. But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you. The bible teaches Christians to "be a light in the darkness so the lost can find there way". Unfortunately most Christians fail in that aspect along with many others. I can't convert you. Only the Holy Spirit can. A farmer may plant a seed, but he can not command the plant grow. So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish. I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God. However just know that you all are loved. I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.

To say this is annoying is putting it mildly. Take your holier-than-thou and shove it.

There is not ONE SINGLE THING you can do with Jezus that I can't do without Jezus. I am perfectly happy being god-less. Who are you to tell me otherwise?
I am not telling you to do anything. I only telling you what I hope for.
27-10-2015, 07:52 AM
(27-10-2015 07:41 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:27 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  To say this is annoying is putting it mildly. Take your holier-than-thou and shove it.

I am not telling you to do anything. I only telling you what I hope for.

You just don't Get It.

I can't even go to the grocery store (the only one within 20 miles) that I don't get blessed or have the manager quote bible snippets at me.

Now you come on here - my only refuge from a steady stream of this crap - and admit you want us to turn to Jezus. Or, the usual visiting theists Official Party Line: "I have been on atheist forums lately on The Thinking Atheist. I am there as a source of information and to correct people who take scripture out of context." You presume we are wrong.

Well, I've had enough. You want to discuss? Fine. You want to question? Fine. You want to learn us heathens about Jezus and how Gawd will save our souls? Just NO.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
27-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Listen. I very much apologize if the term "flamboyant atheist " offended anyone on this site. However, I think bigotry is something that effects just about every group, race, religion, or political view. Yes, the term I use for bigots in the atheist community are "flamboyant " but the terms I use for Christian bigots are much worse and I will gladly go to a preacher's face and tell if he is.
27-10-2015, 07:54 AM
(27-10-2015 07:52 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:41 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am not telling you to do anything. I only telling you what I hope for.

You just don't Get It.

I can't even go to the grocery store (the only one within 20 miles) that I don't get blessed or have the manager quote bible snippets at me.

Now you come on here - my only refuge from a steady stream of this crap - and admit you want us to turn to Jezus. Or, the usual visiting theists Official Party Line: "I have been on atheist forums lately on The Thinking Atheist. I am there as a source of information and to correct people who take scripture out of context." You presume we are wrong.

Well, I've had enough. You want to discuss? Fine. You want to question? Fine. You want to learn us heathens about Jezus and how Gawd will save our souls? Just NO.
Does the fact that I say that I am praying for you offends you?
27-10-2015, 07:54 AM
(27-10-2015 07:41 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I only telling you what I hope for.

You hope that we lose our reason and submit to an ignorant, hate-filled death cult. And you're surprised that some find that insulting? Huh

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-10-2015, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 08:02 AM by Aliza.)
(27-10-2015 07:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:52 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  You just don't Get It.

Does the fact that I say that I am praying for you offends you?

I'd be offended. Obviously, I can't stop you from doing it, and nor do I believe that your prayers will amount to anything, but knowing that you're doing it does offend me.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post