Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 08:05 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know i said that I am not trying to convert anyone, but that is not entirely true.

What a surprise.

(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Honestly, in my heart, I would love to have everyone reading this to come back to Christ.

Honestly I would love too see theists realizing that their Jesus peddling isn't cool thing to do.

(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But I do it by example, not by forcing it on you.

I would say you aren't doing great job.

(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So too I can plant a seed of spiritual wisdom but it is up to God to allow it to flourish.

At least it's only spiritual wisdom which you think atheists don't have.

(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know most of you on this forum may not believe in God.

Considering the forum name it is hardly surprising.

(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  However just know that you all are loved.

I know. I have family. And the dog Smile

(27-10-2015 06:12 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I truly love you all and I pray to that "spaghetti monster in the sky" and the "cosmic space wizzard" to bless every single one of you.

And you're wondering why believers are disliked?

(27-10-2015 07:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Does the fact that I say that I am praying for you offends you?

Yes. You seem to be implying that I need some kind of help from whatever you believe listen to you talking to closed hands. But I do not need fairy tales to comfort me.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-10-2015, 08:04 AM
(27-10-2015 07:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:52 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  You just don't Get It.

I can't even go to the grocery store (the only one within 20 miles) that I don't get blessed or have the manager quote bible snippets at me.

Now you come on here - my only refuge from a steady stream of this crap - and admit you want us to turn to Jezus. Or, the usual visiting theists Official Party Line: "I have been on atheist forums lately on The Thinking Atheist. I am there as a source of information and to correct people who take scripture out of context." You presume we are wrong.

Well, I've had enough. You want to discuss? Fine. You want to question? Fine. You want to learn us heathens about Jezus and how Gawd will save our souls? Just NO.
Does the fact that I say that I am praying for you offends you?

If you want to pray for me, go right ahead. But announcing it makes it seem as though you're asking for extra credit with Gawd. "Look Gawd, I'm being a Good Person!" It does absolutely nothing for me and I'd prefer not to hear about it every time you want Brownie points.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
27-10-2015, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 08:11 AM by TheInquisition.)
(27-10-2015 07:41 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:27 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  To say this is annoying is putting it mildly. Take your holier-than-thou and shove it.

There is not ONE SINGLE THING you can do with Jezus that I can't do without Jezus. I am perfectly happy being god-less. Who are you to tell me otherwise?
I am not telling you to do anything. I only telling you what I hope for.

Do you honestly think that you're the first Christian to get on this forum with that delusion?

There are 100+ page threads dealing with the historicity of Jesus, the implausibility of the myths of Noah, Creation, the absolutely overused Kalaam argument, intelligent design, etc.

Just engage the search function and see how far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go.

[Image: 66-6-the-matrix.jpg]

Begin here:

Good Without God's Resource Thread

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
27-10-2015, 08:08 AM
(27-10-2015 07:37 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Forgive me but I don't think I made my context clear. "Flamboyant atheist" was not intended to be insulting. It was a term I used with my roommate often. We both would rip on each other all in good fun. I only used that to explain that I can relate to what atheist or anyone for that matter when they are badgered constantly and criticized because of their views. The specific example of the sneezing was not why I called them "flamboyant " it was their constant "look at me I am an atheist and you theist can suck it" attitude. These were the type of atheist that found pleasure in trying to make Christians look stupid. Now don't think for one minute that I don't understand that atheist get that kind of treatment more often than I can imagine. I do not condone bigotry from anyone. I actually hold Christians more accountable. I wish you could have seen me blast some southern country bigot on the Christian forum? Now when I first came on this site I was told to have tough skin because it can get a little offensive at times. Right now I am sorry to say that you need to do the same. I am sorry if what I said offends you. But honestly if a term like "flamboyant atheist" is offensive to you when used as a friendly rip, you may be a little too sensitive for this site.

It's not a matter of tough skin or thin skin, or even of being offended. (Did I say I was offended? I'm sure I would have mentioned that, if I had been, don't you think?)

I was pointing out the double-standard.

Christians walk around wearing Jesus teeshirts, putting (often aggressive) Christian bumper stickers and Ichthus-fish badges on their cars, put up billboards, put lights on the sides of buildings (or turn the lights on in a pattern on all the skyscrapers in the town, in order to make crosses, as in OKC and elsewhere), go door-to-door proselytizing, stand on street corners with bullhorns, hold National Days of Prayer, and in general make a habit of letting everyone know "we're Christians and we run this society".

When an atheist does even a pale mockery of that kind of openness and aggression about showing their identity and projecting their philosophy (respectively), we receive a wildly disproportionate amount of blowback for it, as though people would be happier if we'd just "stay in the closet". When we get angry about this, they say we're "just angry atheists". And so on, ad nauseam.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 9 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-10-2015, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 08:36 AM by jason_delisle.)
(27-10-2015 07:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:41 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I only telling you what I hope for.

You hope that we lose our reason and submit to an ignorant, hate-filled death cult. And you're surprised that some find that insulting? Huh
I was praying for blessings. If that offends you I am sorry. Just out of curiosity, other than telling you what I personally believe, when did I ever judge you or anyone on this site or force my views on them. I am a republican but I have friends who are democrat. Should it offend me when they say how wonderful a president Hillary will be? When I first arrived at this site there was a lot of talk about tolerance and acceptance on everyone's beliefs. That "we are not like those other sites". I then hear people tell me to just say my opinion and don't try to explain things on behalf of other Christians. Yet when I do, the out cry is obvious theist are not really accepted or appreciated on this site. That it is really no better than the Christian forum I was kicked from. I really hope that is wrong. People accuse me of being "holier than thou". When did I ever say I was better than anyone? Did I not say I would rather befriend an atheist who has strong morals over a wicked christian? There is a reason why I am non-denominational. It is because the most wicked people I have ever met are in the churches. I appreciate atheist for their honesty. They are not trying to put up an image. They are not trying to make people believe something about them they are not. They don't have to prove anything to anyone. Does it offend you that I tell you that as a Christian, yes...I would like for everyone to believe in Christ but I am not going force my belief on them or shoe judgment toward them? Would it offend you if you had a friend who told you he/she was voting for Donald Trump but never harassed you for supporting Hillary? The only thing I request from everyone is mutual respect. Not to have every line on every post be picked apart and used as ammunition against me. I understand that there will be a lot of friendly "rips" here and there. Also don't forget I am an active duty Marine in the United States Armed Forces so I can take a punch. I am not easily offended. I just ask you to do the same.
27-10-2015, 08:30 AM

You hope that we lose our reason and submit to an ignorant, hate-filled death cult. And you're surprised that some find that insulting? Huh
Do you hope I finally come to my senses and begin to reject the belief in fairy tails? What's the difference?
27-10-2015, 08:32 AM

You call Christians part of a " hate filled death cult". What hate have I shown toward you?
27-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Jason - IT DOES NOT OFFEND US when you share your beliefs. We only get offended when told what we believe by others, or when we're fed magical-thinking nonsense and get called names for calling it out as bullshit.

You really need to let go of the Christian martyr complex, which says that we will hate you for your beliefs. Many of us are dating or married to Christians, best friends with them, etc. I myself am engaged to be married to one.

It's when you keep saying, "I'm sorry my beliefs offend you" that we get offended, not when you tell us what those beliefs are. Not listening to us is offensive. Telling us lies is offensive. But there is nothing offensive about Christianity... except for the aggression and psychological manipulation that is all-too-common among the highly devout (like throwing people out of families for nonbelief, or trying to ruin the social reputation of an atheist, which happens almost every time one of us comes out of that closet), none of us have an issue with what you choose to believe!

Please, please, please get that through your head.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-10-2015, 08:37 AM
(27-10-2015 08:04 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Does the fact that I say that I am praying for you offends you?

If you want to pray for me, go right ahead. But announcing it makes it seem as though you're asking for extra credit with Gawd. "Look Gawd, I'm being a Good Person!" It does absolutely nothing for me and I'd prefer not to hear about it every time you want Brownie points.
Point taken.
27-10-2015, 08:40 AM
(27-10-2015 08:08 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:37 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Forgive me but I don't think I made my context clear. "Flamboyant atheist" was not intended to be insulting. It was a term I used with my roommate often. We both would rip on each other all in good fun. I only used that to explain that I can relate to what atheist or anyone for that matter when they are badgered constantly and criticized because of their views. The specific example of the sneezing was not why I called them "flamboyant " it was their constant "look at me I am an atheist and you theist can suck it" attitude. These were the type of atheist that found pleasure in trying to make Christians look stupid. Now don't think for one minute that I don't understand that atheist get that kind of treatment more often than I can imagine. I do not condone bigotry from anyone. I actually hold Christians more accountable. I wish you could have seen me blast some southern country bigot on the Christian forum? Now when I first came on this site I was told to have tough skin because it can get a little offensive at times. Right now I am sorry to say that you need to do the same. I am sorry if what I said offends you. But honestly if a term like "flamboyant atheist" is offensive to you when used as a friendly rip, you may be a little too sensitive for this site.

It's not a matter of tough skin or thin skin, or even of being offended. (Did I say I was offended? I'm sure I would have mentioned that, if I had been, don't you think?)

I was pointing out the double-standard.

Christians walk around wearing Jesus teeshirts, putting (often aggressive) Christian bumper stickers and Ichthus-fish badges on their cars, put up billboards, put lights on the sides of buildings (or turn the lights on in a pattern on all the skyscrapers in the town, in order to make crosses, as in OKC and elsewhere), go door-to-door proselytizing, stand on street corners with bullhorns, hold National Days of Prayer, and in general make a habit of letting everyone know "we're Christians and we run this society".

When an atheist does even a pale mockery of that kind of openness and aggression about showing their identity and projecting their philosophy (respectively), we receive a wildly disproportionate amount of blowback for it, as though people would be happier if we'd just "stay in the closet". When we get angry about this, they say we're "just angry atheists". And so on, ad nauseam.
So your response is a reaction. To the day to day frustrations atheist in general put up with? I understand. I know it doesn't mean much but I do understand where you are coming from. Though not at the same level.